Phones Get Bigger & Bigger. I feel like by the time the passport arrives it's again going to look small because the 5" smartphone is gone it's now 5.5 & 6 & up. The Passports 4.5"is a perfect match for a 5" phone but anything bigger starts to make the Passport look small. I upgraded to a Z30 after I had the Z10 & now my wife has the LG Flex & now my Z30 is starting to feel/look small lol. I personally think it's a great size but playing devils advocate, whats going to happen when 5.5 & 6" become the normal size. Would we end up seeing a 5" Passport? Would you upgrade?

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 10:27 AM
    Well for starters, the passport has a square display, which us great for productivity!

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 10:30 AM
    Screen sizes are measured diagonally and do not always properly reflect the area of the display. A 5" display on the Passport's square aspect ratio will be a greater number of sq. inches than 5" on the iPhone/Android/rectangular phone's aspect ratio so the Passport may not be as undersized as 5" vs 5.5" makes it appear.
    Jonathank likes this.
    09-06-14 11:00 AM
    Good point

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 02:11 PM
    Phones Get Bigger & Bigger. I feel like by the time the passport arrives it's again going to look small because the 5" smartphone is gone it's now 5.5 & 6 & up. The Passports 4.5"is a perfect match for a 5" phone but anything bigger starts to make the Passport look small. I upgraded to a Z30 after I had the Z10 & now my wife has the LG Flex & now my Z30 is starting to feel/look small lol. I personally think it's a great size but playing devils advocate, whats going to happen when 5.5 & 6" become the normal size. Would we end up seeing a 5" Passport? Would you upgrade?

Posted via CB10
    I remember when the objective of the mobile phone industry was to continually shrink the size of the phone. At one point, the cool factor was to possess the smallest phone possible. I had, at one point, what I believe was called a Vader, by I think Motorola, which was the smallest phone I ever saw and possessed. Now, we're moving to bigger and bigger phones. Pretty soon, we'll be carrying phones on our shoulders like we did with boom boxes way back. I guess the saying "history repeats itself" is so very true. Nonetheless, I love Passport, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Allwyn John likes this.
    09-06-14 02:53 PM
    A BlackBerry ghetto blaster
    red72 likes this.
    09-06-14 03:26 PM
    Bingo
    09-06-14 03:37 PM
    Not everyone wants a phone larger than 5". Between 4.5" and 5" is perfect imo.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 03:40 PM
    Its not always about the size, its how you use it
    09-06-14 03:47 PM
    Well to the best of my knowledge size is besides the point. On my Z30 with 10.3 I almost can't type vertically. The typing experience is much better when you go horizontal so the extra wide estate will come in handy and the passport will be unique for a long time. Just saw a Samsung mega huge is not always beautiful.
    09-06-14 03:52 PM
    Its not always about the size, its how you use it
    Exactly. With just the right size you can... type with one hand.
    09-06-14 03:56 PM
    I remember when the objective of the mobile phone industry was to continually shrink the size of the phone. At one point, the cool factor was to possess the smallest phone possible. I had, at one point, what I believe was called a Vader, by I think Motorola, which was the smallest phone I ever saw and possessed. Now, we're moving to bigger and bigger phones. Pretty soon, we'll be carrying phones on our shoulders like we did with boom boxes way back. I guess the saying "history repeats itself" is so very true. Nonetheless, I love Passport, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Designs of any consumer product never stay the same let alone the sizes. Phone sizes will go up and down. Call it fatigue syndrome. No different from regular products in your local drug stores. The packaging of shampoo, toothpaste or deodorant get change every so often to refresh consumers perception of the products. Take Tide detergent for example. It goes from 12L to 6 L to 8L to now 4L that was before the liquid detergent was popular. Now it has little pods in a container. As for phone devices, if IOT is the future, perhaps phablet is the way to go. Does not mean smaller phone will no longer be made. Who knows what innovation will bring?

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 05:05 PM
    It's too wide to ever look small.
    09-06-14 05:14 PM
    Screen sizes are measured diagonally and do not always properly reflect the area of the display. A 5" display on the Passport's square aspect ratio will be a greater number of sq. inches than 5" on the iPhone/Android/rectangular phone's aspect ratio so the Passport may not be as undersized as 5" vs 5.5" makes it appear.
    A square screen with a 4.9 inch diagonal would the same area as a typical smartphone screen with a 5 inch diagonal. The square screen limits the width of the device. Personally I would actually prefer a Passport with a 4 inch screen. The square screen is better for displaying larger fonts though as typically you can read more text side to side.

On the device side as phones get bigger there will still be a market for phones that have the same specs but have a smaller screen ... a pocket phone. The physical size of a Z10 is perfect but it needed smaller bezels and less wasted space. The Moto X is the same size as a Z10 but has a 4.7 inch screen. Great standard phone size.

The rumoured size of a iPhone 6 4.7 inch model is 137.5 x 67 x 7 mm (5.41 x 2.64 x 0.28 in)
    Weight 113 g (3.99 oz)

The size of a Z30 5 inch is 140.7 x 72 x 9.4 mm (5.54 x 2.83 x 0.37 in)
    Weight 170 g (6.00 oz)

The rumoured size of a Blackberry Passport is 128 x 90.3 x 9.3 mm (5.04 x 3.56 x 0.37 in)
    Weight 194 g (6.84 oz)

So it is not just about screen size it is about packaging that screen.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-07-14 at 10:15 AM.
    09-07-14 10:04 AM
    Who said that the perfect size is 4", 5" or 6"?

The perfect size is what make you confortable handle the phone, personally more than 5" is too much and isn't fix in my jeans pocket.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 10:14 AM
    Who said that the perfect size is 4", 5" or 6"?

The perfect size is what make you confortable handle the phone, personally more than 5" is too much and isn't fix in my jeans pocket.

Posted via CB10
    I think he was getting to what the common factor is among those phones mostly held by end users in total. If you were to add up all the phones in people's hands today, you'd find the vast majority to be in that 4" to less than5" range.
    Jonathank likes this.
    09-07-14 01:14 PM
    I don't mind the size increase over the years. The goal, I assume, is to entirely replace the need for a personal computer.
    All things considered, we're well on our way.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 01:19 PM
    I don't mind the size increase over the years. The goal, I assume, is to entirely replace the need for a personal computer.
    All things considered, we're well on our way.

Posted via CB10
    I wonder if we'll ever get there though. Even tablets today fall quite short, so will a phone ever be there? I guess at the rate technology keeps advancing, it's possible. Time will tell.
    09-07-14 01:59 PM
    I have been saying that for awhile now. I couldn't agree more

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 12:30 AM
    Not everyone wants a phone larger than 5". Between 4.5" and 5" is perfect imo.

Posted via CB10
    That's what u think until u have that 5.5" & don't see urself going back lol

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 12:31 AM
    Ummmmm???

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 12:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    I liked this article in Business Week - especially as it referenced Zoolander:
    Why Phones Are Getting Bigger, Not Smaller - Businessweek
    09-14-14 09:24 PM
    I'd say a definitive no. Phones need to be portable, fit in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 11:28 PM
    Z10 is the perfect size for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 12:37 AM
    I'd say a definitive no. Phones need to be portable, fit in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    Lol... it's been proven that the Passport fits in pockets.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-15-14 01:16 AM
27 12