Title says it all.
    10-17-08 10:48 AM
    Warning....you are probably going to get flamed!!

I know I got flamed when I asked about this myself a month ago.

Answer is yup, GPS will be unlocked. aGPS will not be, it will be reserved for VZW Navigator.
    10-17-08 10:51 AM
    I hope so but have doubts.
    10-17-08 10:52 AM
    Warning....you are probably going to get flamed!!

I know I got flamed when I asked about this myself a month ago.

Answer is yup, GPS will be unlocked. aGPS will not be, it will be reserved for VZW Navigator.
    That's what ignore is for - :P

I would like for both but GPS will work just fine for me.
    10-17-08 11:05 AM
    So bb maps will work? I am confused between the two.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 01:32 PM
    So bb maps will work? I am confused between the two.

I believe so.

I think any third party app should be able to use the GPS which means BB Maps, Blackberry tracker and any others.
    10-17-08 01:40 PM
    I believe so.

I think any third party app should be able to use the GPS which means BB Maps, Blackberry tracker and any others.
    That's exactly what I undstand through all the stuff I've seen and read. Google Maps with real GPS functionality is what I'm excited about.

I too would really like to have the aGPS (with the assist from the cell towers it locks on and locates faster vs the normal GPS waiting to aquire satillite signals), but I'll take what I can get. Just having an unlocked GPS is awesome to me.
    10-17-08 03:12 PM
    You'll know when you get one if it's aGPS for all or just VZNav. If you can get a sat lock within 5-10 secs, that's aGPS. Just for reference, Sprint's 8830 has unlocked GPS and it is most definitely aGPS and not standalone. The fixes are quick and the "gps working" depends upon proper PDE info on the gpsOne chipset settings. So, if it's a similar implementation of GPS from Qualcomm and it's truly unlocked, prepare to have aGPS on. However, if it's just this, also prepare not to have GPS when it's in GSM mode... which would be a problem. If they implement aGPS and standalone GPS on the handset, and GPS works in GSM mode, then the phone has a separeate GPS chip from the Qualcomm gpsOne aGPS chipset, which will be different then the setup that the 8830's and 8330's have.
    10-17-08 04:18 PM
    So civic your saying if its gps on the aGps gsm network then aGPS on a GPS qualcom GPS One implmenting GPS on a aGPS chipset precludes GPS GSM switching to aGPS therefore eliminating any need for GPS on the qualcomm gpsOne aGPS chipset?

If that's the case that makes total sense.

10-17-08 05:22 PM
    So civic your saying if its gps on the aGps gsm network then aGPS on a GPS qualcom GPS One implmenting GPS on a aGPS chipset precludes GPS GSM switching to aGPS therefore eliminating any need for GPS on the qualcomm gpsOne aGPS chipset?

If that's the case that makes total sense.

lol! wut?
    10-17-08 06:01 PM
    Say that with a mouthful of crackers
    10-17-08 06:08 PM
    Ah now my confusion is gone!!

10-17-08 07:13 PM
    You'll know when you get one if it's aGPS for all or just VZNav. If you can get a sat lock within 5-10 secs, that's aGPS. Just for reference, Sprint's 8830 has unlocked GPS and it is most definitely aGPS and not standalone. The fixes are quick and the "gps working" depends upon proper PDE info on the gpsOne chipset settings. So, if it's a similar implementation of GPS from Qualcomm and it's truly unlocked, prepare to have aGPS on. However, if it's just this, also prepare not to have GPS when it's in GSM mode... which would be a problem. If they implement aGPS and standalone GPS on the handset, and GPS works in GSM mode, then the phone has a separeate GPS chip from the Qualcomm gpsOne aGPS chipset, which will be different then the setup that the 8830's and 8330's have.
    Does this mean GPS is unlocked. I really don't care if it's aGPS. I just want GPS - :P

I think it would be in VZW best interest to unlock the GPS if they want to contend with the iPhone.
    10-18-08 10:03 AM
    I don't know, none of us do, until we see one in person. The point was that if you use a Storm and see that you get GPS locks in 10 secs or less, it's probably aGPS. If that happens, switch to a GSM carrier (away from Verizon) and see if GPS still works and locks quickly to get an idea of if GPS will work like that and if it changes to standalone mode then, which would mean GPS locks would take about 30-45 secs on a cold start to aquire sats.
    10-18-08 04:43 PM
    if aGPS stands for Assisted GPS, then it has it. See the attached spec sheet from Blackberry.
    10-19-08 01:40 PM
    yes no more hacking anything like i had to do on my xv6800
    10-19-08 04:17 PM
    Does this mean GPS is unlocked. I really don't care if it's aGPS. I just want GPS - :P

I think it would be in VZW best interest to unlock the GPS if they want to contend with the iPhone.
    if BB/VZW were cconcered with iphone the Storm would also have WIFI
    10-19-08 05:13 PM
    Nah, the only reason WiFi matters for the iPhone is because AT&T's 3G and EDGE both are less than spectacular.

I have a Dare on Verizon and a BB8820 on AT&T. Don't miss the WiFi on the Dare at all. Have it running all the time on the 8820.
    10-19-08 05:45 PM
    if aGPS stands for Assisted GPS, then it has it. See the attached spec sheet from Blackberry.
    I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Yes, I know it has the "capability" of using aGPS, but the chipset could support aGPS, Standalone, and 2 other modes. The key is, what mode will be available to be used when using various GPS aware apps. I'm hoping for aGPS to help the lock times, but even unlocked standalone would be good.
    10-19-08 09:35 PM
    It won't be locked.
    10-19-08 10:00 PM
    It won't be locked.
    That is good to know.
    10-20-08 12:37 PM
    Well, it's official. According to the wording in the VZW Training manual for the Storm, aGPS will be used solely by VZNav, but Standalong GPS will be open for BBMaps and most likely other apps as well. I guess that's both good and bad news. You'll have open GPS, but prepare to be "mislead" by sales tactics indicating that VZNav is better because it's faster to get locks on sats. This of course is just because of the aGPS use on it and not because VZNav is better.
    10-20-08 08:17 PM
    Well, it's official. According to the wording in the VZW Training manual for the Storm, aGPS will be used solely by VZNav, but Standalong GPS will be open for BBMaps and most likely other apps as well. I guess that's both good and bad news. You'll have open GPS, but prepare to be "mislead" by sales tactics indicating that VZNav is better because it's faster to get locks on sats. This of course is just because of the aGPS use on it and not because VZNav is better.
    You're definitely right in regards to this info being in the training manual. However, as you yourself pointed out in another thread, the training manual has at least one mistake so I will cross my fingers and hope that aGPS will be usable outside of VZNav (I expect that it won't be though).
    10-20-08 09:10 PM
    According to the recently released Verizon Employee training PDF.
    10-20-08 11:59 PM
    The average user will get tricked and that annoys me. I should start something to let people know - :P

I'm just glad GPS is going to be unlocked, now I can use Blackberry GPS Tracker - Home -
    10-21-08 08:38 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD