I wonder about this sometimes, and in lieu is because there were news reports of Symbian-Guru shutting down its doors due to Nokia putting out crappy devices. I would honestly hate to see this happen here too. Just wanted to know your thoughts on sites like Symbian-Guru whom have a strong following, but fizzle because their handsets, and it makes me wonder about the Blackberry handsets and the future for RIM and Crackberry.

Source: Symbian-Guru shuts down, says Nokia is 'losing hard' -- Engadget

Source: Symbian-Guru.com Is Over | Symbian-Guru.com

As of today, I will no longer be updating Symbian-Guru.com, and will be purchasing an Android-powered smartphone – my new Nexus One should arrive tomorrow. I’ve been a Nokia fanboy since 1999, and a Symbian fanboy since I got my Nokia 6620 in summer of 2004. Since then, I’ve personally owned 10+ different Symbian-powered smartphones, and have reviewed nearly every Symbian-powered smartphone that’s been released in the past 3 years or so. I’ve tried to use all of Nokia’s various products and services to the best of my ability, and I just can’t do it anymore.

I can’t continue to support a manufacturer who puts out such craptastic ‘flagships’ as the N97, and who expects me to use services that even most of Nokia’s own employees don’t use. I also can’t continue to support a mobile operating system platform that continually buries itself into oblivion by focusing on ‘openness’ while keeping a blind eye towards the obvious improvements that other open platforms have had for several iterations.
    It's sad when sites shut down, especially with a strong following.
    Last edited by fabuloso; 07-01-10 at 01:24 PM.
    07-01-10 01:17 PM
    Will CrackBerry ever shut down?
    No, never.
    07-01-10 01:22 PM
    What is even worse is this crybaby is upset with Nokia and decided to penalize
    ALL of the people who used the site as if his opinion was God given law.

The guy lacks any sense of ethics, maturity or decency.
    07-01-10 01:25 PM
    No, never.
    Any reason why you don't think it will? With OS6 being as similar to OS5. How many people jump ship, etc. A simple answer as that won't justify a possibility.
    07-01-10 01:26 PM
    No, never.
    Oh really, do you run crackberry? Who told you this?
    07-01-10 01:26 PM

I agree. Kevin would never do that to us. I'm sure he could sell this site
    if he didn't want to own it any longer.... there would be no sane reason to
    close CB down.
    07-01-10 01:33 PM
    Any reason why you don't think it will? With OS6 being as similar to OS5. How many people jump ship, etc. A simple answer as that won't justify a possibility.
    Some users might leave, but not worldwide defections to other platforms.
    07-01-10 01:34 PM
    Actually Crackberry.com is part of the Smart Phone Experts Network, and guess what folks????? Expecially the OP, the SPE has a Nokia site....

http://www.nokiaexperts.com/
    07-01-10 01:39 PM
    Its kind of common sense... Until this place starts losing money, I don't ever see that happening.... Its really not that hard to cover the nut of site costs with advertising and the store they got going...
    07-01-10 01:42 PM

Why be quick to judge the guy, when he's speaking the truth? He puts his time and money into a site... And clear he seeing that the company nokia is not making an effort to change. He personally is moving to a different phone. I think he did the right thing. Why continue to invest time and money into something you clearly no longer have interest in?
    07-01-10 01:49 PM
    couldn't agree more
    07-01-10 01:52 PM
    C'mon, is this really about Crackberry or is someone trying to imply that RIM's phones are crappy and everyone is jumping ship...

Yawn...
    07-01-10 01:58 PM
    Why be quick to judge the guy, when he's speaking the truth? He puts his time and money into a site... And clear he seeing that the company nokia is not making an effort to change. He personally is moving to a different phone. I think he did the right thing. Why continue to invest time and money into something you clearly no longer have interest in?
    He could have EASILY handled it differently and found someone else to run and take over the site, letting their forum base remain.
    07-01-10 01:58 PM
    C'mon, is this really about Crackberry or is someone trying to imply that RIM's phones are crappy and everyone is jumping ship...

Yawn...
    DING DING DING DING DING We have a winner!
    07-01-10 02:00 PM
    "No, Never" is the correct answer. CrackBerry will be here for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years to come.

Put it this way as a worst-case scenario.... even if RIM were to decide out of the blue today that they've had enough of the smartphone game and wanted to all retire, the amount of devices in-market already (think of people signing 2 year contracts in the last 12 months and people who are still rocking older devices, etc.) would still drive enough traffic/demand to justify the site being around for a longggggg time to come. I'm always surprised to see on a daily basis that replacement trackballs for the 8300/8800 series are still our #1 accessory seller in the store - it just shows that people keep rocking old phones. And heck, even if there was only one person in the world using a BlackBerry (me!) this site would keep going. It's part of my identity. Also, we're part of Smartphone Experts with a site for every platform, so the infrastructure to support the site will always be there no matter where smartphone demands ebb and flow. Want proof? Check out SPE's original start to it all.. visorcentral.com. It's still running... and we know what happened to the Palm Visor!

I do think RIM's future is more positive looking than say symbian or pre-hp palm, even though at the moment things seem a little more negative (stock price, etc.). They have more "hooks" that ensure they can whether the storm while they revamp to a new generation of platform (i'm not talking bb6 here, but beyond that looking into the years ahead. RIM still has huge enterprise presence, they have the killer app of "the keyboard" which BB is identified with and a lot of people will always demand/want, and they have strong brand recognition. They are accelerating their growth in foreign markets still and in those markets have data plans that work in BB's favor. They have BBM. RIM is basically selling more devices per quarter right now than they did in a whole year going back to when this site was started a few years ago. And you have to remember, compared to the competition they are still the favored/dominant "communication tool." Where they need to improve still is on the multimedia/app side of the equation (browser too, but BB6/WebKit should really address that), but as a pure out communication/productivity tool for all the shakers and movers out there, BB still hasn't slipped at all. The people who rely on it, continue to rely on it and will do so in the future. They may also pick up an iPad or iPod touch or something like that to have in addition to their BB to have the no-compromise best in class of everything, but they can't give up their BB. But I do think with where the competition is and the demands of the consumer are and going, that RIM's continued success will have to extend beyond being an awesome communication tool. They know this and are working on it. It would be nice if they could move faster, but they'll continue to sell fairly big numbers until they get there, even if the stock gets pounded for a bit and the news reports are on the negative side for a few more quarters.

I guess time will tell the RIM story, but back to the original topic of this thread, fear not, CB will be here for a long, long, lonnnnng time.
    07-01-10 02:05 PM
    See....... Kevin's not gonna abandon me ummm... I mean... us.
    07-01-10 02:11 PM
    LOL I was hoping that was the case. I never agreed with anyone, just wanted to know how WoodiE55 was "privy" to some "legit info" that us Peons were not LOL! Some facts would be nice when answering.
    07-01-10 02:15 PM
    "No, Never" is the correct answer. CrackBerry will be here for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years to come. ......
    THERE you heard it from the big guy himself! The answer is 42 errrrr NEVER!!!!!!
    07-01-10 02:18 PM
    I disagree with Kevin and all the other Mods.

CrackBerry WILL shut down and RIM WILL stop making phones.

Just not in my lifetime .

CrackBerry and BlackBerry, one of this planet's truly great combos.
    07-01-10 02:19 PM
    "No, Never" is the correct answer. CrackBerry will be here for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years to come.

Put it this way as a worst-case scenario.... even if RIM were to decide out of the blue today that they've had enough of the smartphone game and wanted to all retire, the amount of devices in-market already (think of people signing 2 year contracts in the last 12 months and people who are still rocking older devices, etc.) would still drive enough traffic/demand to justify the site being around for a longggggg time to come. I'm always surprised to see on a daily basis that replacement trackballs for the 8300/8800 series are still our #1 accessory seller in the store - it just shows that people keep rocking old phones. And heck, even if there was only one person in the world using a BlackBerry (me!) this site would keep going. It's part of my identity. Also, we're part of Smartphone Experts with a site for every platform, so the infrastructure to support the site will always be there no matter where smartphone demands ebb and flow.

I do think RIM's future is more positive looking than say symbian or pre-hp palm, even though at the moment things seem a little more negative (stock price, etc.). They have more "hooks" that ensure they can whether the storm while they revamp to a new generation of platform (i'm not talking bb6 here, but beyond that looking into the years ahead. RIM still has huge enterprise presence, they have the killer app of "the keyboard" which BB is identified with and a lot of people will always demand/want, and they have strong brand recognition. They are accelerating their growth in foreign markets still and in those markets have data plans that work in BB's favor. They have BBM. RIM is basically selling more devices per quarter right now than they did in a whole year going back to when this site was started a few years ago. And you have to remember, compared to the competition they are still the favored/dominant "communication tool." Where they need to improve still is on the multimedia/app side of the equation (browser too, but BB6/WebKit should really address that), but as a pure out communication/productivity tool for all the shakers and movers out there, BB still hasn't slipped at all. The people who rely on it, continue to rely on it and will do so in the future. They may also pick up an iPad or iPod touch or something like that to have in addition to their BB to have the no-compromise best in class of everything, but they can't give up their BB. But I do think with where the competition is and the demands of the consumer are and going, that RIM's continued success will have to extend beyond being an awesome communication tool. They know this and are working on it. It would be nice if they could move faster, but they'll continue to sell fairly big numbers until they get there, even if the stock gets pounded for a bit and the news reports are on the negative side for a few more quarters.

I guess time will tell the RIM story, but back to the original topic of this thread, fear not, CB will be here for a long, long, lonnnnng time.

^^ I win. ^^

Thanks Kevin for poppin in! Very soothing to hear those words!
    ^^ I win. ^^

You lose on maturity though
    07-01-10 02:22 PM
    Did 2 of our members forget that we are not kids in the school yard anymore?
    07-01-10 02:34 PM
    You lose on maturity though
    Awesome, basing someones maturity on internet posts... especially one that basically indicated zero immaturity...
    07-01-10 02:34 PM
    Make that 3 members. lol
    07-01-10 02:35 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD