If now, with the Classic, bb10 becomes a bit more mainstream by converting bb7 users, will we see more native bb10 apps? I want to see more banking apps in particular. The only time I see BlackBerry apps for download on banking sites are for bb7.
    12-22-14 08:29 PM
    Hmm...

Blackbird Q10 latest OS
    12-22-14 08:41 PM
    I think within time we will see more and more, also there is the Amazon app store also, maybe yours is in there.
    12-22-14 08:41 PM
    I don't think it will become mainstream outside of the corporate sector. That's who it's designed for; not particularly the consumer.
    12-22-14 10:42 PM
    Easy answer....highly doubtful. They've sold like 10 million BB10 devices in almost 2 years. They'd have to sell an insane amount of Passports and Classics to get developers to really notice

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 01:12 AM
    Not impossible.
    The Classic will release near the same time as BES12 did. There are many agencies in Washington DC that did not adopt BB10 for whom this device would be a natural fleet refresh device. Including those who currently run mix of devices who may still be open to BlackBerry or who still run 99xx. And it is not impossible that those whose issued a Classic through work may either buy their personal device if the quality and OS are good AND/OR they may influence those around them.
    This is how BlackBerry entered mainstream initially, as an offshoot of enterprise. Sure, they've got Android and Apple as the two dominant platforms to deal with, but I don't see it as an impossible thing that, if the device is well built and BlackBerry executed well, that it won't bleed into a certain segment of consumers.
    And if BlackBerry executes well and the device does bleed into the hands of those around DC agency staff's personal device of choice? It's got a chance. Small chance, but I think the Classic will be the most likely quiet influence for BlackBerry.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    12-23-14 03:22 AM
    Every little helps but we're talking a need of tens of millions of sales before developers take notice.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 03:58 AM
    If now, with the Classic, bb10 becomes a bit more mainstream by converting bb7 users, will we see more native bb10 apps? I want to see more banking apps in particular. The only time I see BlackBerry apps for download on banking sites are for bb7.
    Of course everything will "help" but the question is at what extend. One thing leads to another and you may get a chain reaction (like qbnkelt pointed out), but not likely in the short term.

The only way BlackBerry can become a mainstream device again is through better and better Android support if you ask me. They have made progress in this regard already and it shows. A friend of mine (a regular consumer guy, not a techy person by any means) who just got himself a Passport loads Android apps through Amazon just as they were native and he uses them like that. Same with my brother. They aren't like "hm nah it's not native" like I am, they just use what works and don't care. This is key to firstly overcome the app gap conception with regular consumers and it can only get better from this point. BlackBerry 10 with its QNX platform isn't as efficient and performant with Android apps like Android phones, because of its micro kernel architecture opposed to monolithic that Android is. BUT as the hardware power in phones increases over time this will become less and less noticeable. The Passport already runs Android apps much better than my Z10. So as BB10 phones get more and more powerful under the hood while app requirements do not (and they barely do, safe for games), and BlackBerry packs more and more support and interoperability for Android into its phones, BlackBerrys may become a very nice computing platform that "just runs apps", not native better and forked Android worse ones. That's the one thing. And then there's overall device and OS quality and creating an authentic brand you can trust. This happens through original devices like the Classic and Passport. Devices for small audiences, yes, but within these audiences they're known for high quality and are therefore conceived as successful. This is how it works. And as soon as BlackBerry is known as "successful manufacturer of high quality niche phones with keyboards" they can come out and say "world, BlackBerry, the successful OEM of...introduces to you an all touch device" and people, unlike with the Z10 or Z30, will be very happy to look into it.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo and LuvULongTime like this.
    12-23-14 04:16 AM
    I don't think it is possible for a keyboard phone to become mainstream. Especially one that so closely resembles the old phones that fell from grace.

The Classic will serve the purpose that BlackBerry intend. Nothing more.

Z30 STA 100-2
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-23-14 06:17 AM
    Now that BlackBerry officially has an android appstore installed, developers are not going to focus on making native BlackBerry apps.

Even if BlackBerry phone adoption increases significantly with the launch of the Classic, the best we could hope for would be android apps that have been 'tested' to work on BB10.

Honestly, given the performance of the android apps I've tried on my Passport, I'm fine with that. Holding my breath for the devs to suddenly start supporting BlackBerry En masse is probably an exercise in futility.
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-23-14 06:34 AM
    Now that BlackBerry officially has an android appstore installed, developers are not going to focus on making native BlackBerry apps.

Even if BlackBerry phone adoption increases significantly with the launch of the Classic, the best we could hope for would be android apps that have been 'tested' to work on BB10.

Honestly, given the performance of the android apps I've tried on my Passport, I'm fine with that. Holding my breath for the devs to suddenly start supporting BlackBerry En masse is probably an exercise in futility.
    I agree. If you are a dev and want your app to be available to BB users, your best course of action would be to test your android app on a BB device and offer it through the Amazon App Store.

If you want your app to be cross platform, why develop for Android, ios, windows phone, and BB10. Wow, that's a lot of work. You can cut one of those out entirely and still reach the same number of potential customers. Maybe some devs will choose to do the extra work of programming for BB10, but I see no incentive for them to do it in great numbers.

I think the quality of BlackBerry world is likely to decrease over time, not increase.
    12-23-14 07:07 AM
    Not impossible.
    The Classic will release near the same time as BES12 did. There are many agencies in Washington DC that did not adopt BB10 for whom this device would be a natural fleet refresh device. Including those who currently run mix of devices who may still be open to BlackBerry or who still run 99xx. And it is not impossible that those whose issued a Classic through work may either buy their personal device if the quality and OS are good AND/OR they may influence those around them.
    This is how BlackBerry entered mainstream initially, as an offshoot of enterprise. Sure, they've got Android and Apple as the two dominant platforms to deal with, but I don't see it as an impossible thing that, if the device is well built and BlackBerry executed well, that it won't bleed into a certain segment of consumers.
    And if BlackBerry executes well and the device does bleed into the hands of those around DC agency staff's personal device of choice? It's got a chance. Small chance, but I think the Classic will be the most likely quiet influence for BlackBerry.

I'm seeing more people opting for the Z10 over the Q10 when they are given the choice in the upgrade. Z30 got added to the option list too recently, so I'm wondering if BlackBerry has worked a deal with some agencies to still manufacture and offer it to them. Most people have been demanding all touch from competitors so I think they will switch to all touch when given the chance.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 07:29 AM
    Interesting. I've got no personal frame of reference. My agency dropped BlackBerry and handed out iPhone 6 and SG5 (which is what I picked because of the removable battery) but BlackBerry was not included as an option.
    I WISH they would have included the Classic or the Q.
    Dont know if you know I'm not even in the team anymore. I lost it after all the arguing I did trying to keep BES.

12-23-14 07:40 AM
    Nope.... mainstream?

With the Z10 and Q10 there were hopes of selling 20+ million devices that first year to enterprise and consumers, and developers didn't come out as strongly as we had hoped. And that was when we didn't have the Amazon Store or SNAP to dilute the potential pool of customers a developer could expect would use their app.

With the Classic, many would be happy if it sold 4 million in the first year to enterprise alone. With enterprise's security measures usually locking down the ability to even install apps.... just can't imagine the Classic would add enough to get general native app development started up again.

But if they were to sell say even 10 million Classic devices over the next year... they would only go towards stemming the losses from legacy users still leaving BlackBerry. It would do NOTHING to make BlackBerry mainstream again, Android activates that many devices every few days...
    12-23-14 07:51 AM
    For Enterprise maybe.

Consumer market is dead.

Chen killed it.

BlackBerry hates America!
    12-23-14 08:00 AM
    I could see it increase..I'm feeling more hopeful than ever for BlackBerry nowadays. I've also noticed that BlackBerry really only mentions the Amazon Appstore when talking about wanting to play games, etc...I'm sure hoping to see some native banking apps, and other useful apps. Anyway, I think they are headed in the right direction.
    12-23-14 08:19 AM
    I don't think it is possible for a keyboard phone to become mainstream. Especially one that so closely resembles the old phones that fell from grace.
    Agreed, but I don't think the OP's question was about whether the Classic itself will become mainstream, in the sense of being a recognized, fairly popular device. I'm pretty sure it won't.

Rather, the question is whether the Classic will enlarge the BB10 user base enough to take BB10 out of "fringe" status and thus make it more appealing to developers.

I suppose the Classic could potentially attract tens of millions of current BBOS users, which would be a significant bump in the BB10 user base. These people would become visitors to BB World and the Amazon app store.

I agree. If you are a dev and want your app to be available to BB users, your best course of action would be to test your android app on a BB device and offer it through the Amazon App Store.
    And put it on Google Play as well, assuming you don't already have it there. If the BB10 user base quickly expands by tens of millions of users, that would also be a significant bump in the number of people interested in generic Android apps, i.e., those that don't require Google Play Services. Developers might see that they could add to their profits by keeping their apps generic. I think in most cases this shouldn't be that hard to do.

As we all know, many apps in the Android app store aren't updated as often as the Google Play versions. Why not? Because the user base is so much smaller, the developers feel they can afford to neglect them. As the user base of the Amazon grows, developers will have a different feeling about it. This is without doubt why Amazon agreed to having their app store pre-installed in BB10 in the first place.

All of this makes sense in principle. The real world doesn't always behave accordingly.
    greenberry666 likes this.
    12-23-14 09:49 AM
    Interesting. I've got no personal frame of reference. My agency dropped BlackBerry and handed out iPhone 6 and SG5 (which is what I picked because of the removable battery) but BlackBerry was not included as an option.
    I WISH they would have included the Classic or the Q.
    Dont know if you know I'm not even in the team anymore. I lost it after all the arguing I did trying to keep BES.

Yeah I do remember reading that and how the PlayBook fiasco cost you a lot too. BlackBerry unfortunately made many of us look foolish after other devices got some of the approvals and they made many poor decisions that built up so much animosity to the brand. I am seeing some recent security incidents that have caused the paranoia level to go back up which works in BlackBerry's favor I think. The approved Apple solution that I have seen is pretty poor compared the BES10 alternative. I just wish BlackBerry had executed better and quicker. Some business they lost will be permanent barring a major security breach, and the brand negativity will be high for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 09:51 AM
    Yeah I do remember reading that and how the PlayBook fiasco cost you a lot too. BlackBerry unfortunately made many of us look foolish after other devices got some of the approvals and they made many poor decisions that built up so much animosity to the brand. I am seeing some recent security incidents that have caused the paranoia level to go back up which works in BlackBerry's favor I think. The approved Apple solution that I have seen is pretty poor compared the BES10 alternative. I just wish BlackBerry had executed better and quicker. Some business they lost will be permanent barring a major security breach, and the brand negativity will be high for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. We're on Good and it's nowhere near as robust or granular as BES.
    Oh well. I don't want a breach, but I sure wish I'd been successful in my attempts to delay the transition.
    Oh well. Nothing to be done. I don't want to beat myself over it anymore.

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!
    12-23-14 10:09 AM
    I think you will see some development in business apps for the enterprise sector, but those out there who are waiting for the popular apps to show up as native apps in the BlackBerry world,it might be a while yet and would depend on how mow Classics, Passports and OS10 devices are placed into the hands of mew users? That remains to be seen.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    12-23-14 11:00 AM
    Not impossible.

Well said. At the end of the day, it wasn't one bad phone or decision that got BB in this bad spot, and it won't be one phone or decision that 'saves' them either. I just wish they took the Classic more seriously and beefed it up spec wise like the Passport and priced it as aggressively. And the touch sensitive keyboard would have been a good thing too. If this is the phone that Blackberry hopes lures back old school users then they missed a big chance to hit a grand slam.
    12-23-14 11:59 PM
    Well said. At the end of the day, it wasn't one bad phone or decision that got BB in this bad spot, and it won't be one phone or decision that 'saves' them either. I just wish they took the Classic more seriously and beefed it up spec wise like the Passport and priced it as aggressively. And the touch sensitive keyboard would have been a good thing too. If this is the phone that Blackberry hopes lures back old school users then they missed a big chance to hit a grand slam.
    Me too. Don't know why they almost always cheapen out on something.

This would be a great fleet refresh device.

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!
    12-24-14 02:25 AM
    If there's money to be made, I'm sure developers will jump on to the bandwagon.
    12-24-14 04:00 AM
    If there's money to be made, I'm sure developers will jump on to the bandwagon.

If there is LOT's of money to be made....

But they will be developers of business related apps, this next year I think you'll see some who's contracts are expiring will be leaving the "platform". If sales are to pickup, it will be mainly from business, and I think mainly from regulated enterprise. Which will mean very few will have the ability to install consumer orientated apps. So even if a miracle happens and they sell 10 Million Classics and Rios... that will not equal very many users capable of install an app like Instagram.

But developers of specialized apps, ones they can sell for $40 per device.... yes those might start to increase. Especially if large companies put in orders for tens of thousands of devices and ask the developers to build them.
    12-24-14 08:49 AM
    If there is LOT's of money to be made....

But they will be developers of business related apps, this next year I think you'll see some who's contracts are expiring will be leaving the "platform". If sales are to pickup, it will be mainly from business, and I think mainly from regulated enterprise. Which will mean very few will have the ability to install consumer orientated apps. So even if a miracle happens and they sell 10 Million Classics and Rios... that will not equal very many users capable of install an app like Instagram.

But developers of specialized apps, ones they can sell for $40 per device.... yes those might start to increase. Especially if large companies put in orders for tens of thousands of devices and ask the developers to build them.
    Baby steps...

If they can get devs to jump on and develop rock solid business oriented apps, then consumer apps will eventually follow. It's the snowball effect. If (I know, big if) BB can become the defacto phone of choice for business users over any BYOD iPhone, etc, then it will eventually spill over into the consumer market. I'm not suggesting 50% market share, but anywhere between 5%-10% globally would be enough to solidify the platform.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-24-14 08:59 AM
52 123