BB10 operating system won't be coming to the Playbook until later this year, so the question remains will there be a bridge option for connecting the Z10 phone to the Playbook? At least until the new OS is released on the Playbook.
    Wiltunscir likes this.
    01-08-13 11:31 AM
    Yes there will be, all the current features of BBOS will be coming and improved for BlackBerry 10.
    01-08-13 11:39 AM
    Yes there will be, all the current features of BBOS will be coming and improved for BlackBerry 10.
    Source? I haven't heard that ALL features are coming across. Thanks.
    01-08-13 12:04 PM
    I wouldnt go that far. I am sure RIM will try to get most features carried over but not all.

I would hope bridge is a feature that they have available and at launch but i guess we will have to wait til the 30th to be sure.
    01-08-13 12:08 PM
    I wouldnt go that far. I am sure RIM will try to get most features carried over but not all.

I would hope bridge is a feature that they have available and at launch but i guess we will have to wait til the 30th to be sure.
    I am pretty confident Thorsten said this in one of his speeches either BlackBerry World. He stated that none of the code istelf would be coming over but that all features in the current OS would be brought across and improved.
    01-08-13 12:24 PM
    I sure hope so, if NOT.......I might have to rethink my purchase on release date as the BRIDGE is a big part of my lifestyle on a day to day
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    01-08-13 12:41 PM
    for sure, so want the BB10,but so need to be able to bridge to the PB.
    01-08-13 12:50 PM
    I am pretty confident Thorsten said this in one of his speeches either BlackBerry World. He stated that none of the code istelf would be coming over but that all features in the current OS would be brought across and improved.
    Something like bridge would not automatically be covered by the stuff said by Thorsten since it is an additional app rather than a standard part of the OS.

Saying that, I think we would all be surprised if we don't see a version of bridge for bb10, but I would not be at all surprised if it isn't there at launch because it is an important feature to some bb owners, but judging by playbook sales not that large a group of them.

The focus at launch is going to be about providing stuff that is most useful to the most amount of people and something like bridge would seem to fall into the category of things that can wait.
    01-08-13 01:47 PM
    QNX offers things that are a significant improvement over bridge, things like distributed processing etc. While it may be similar to Bridge, I would doubt its something as simple as what we have now (or at least doubt the end game is as simple as we have now)
    01-08-13 01:50 PM
    For the moment no bridge feature between playbook and mobile, however you will be able to use your mobile as a hotspot wifi.

Nicolas
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-08-13 01:54 PM
    On an architectural level, I would imagine that BB10 bridge will be completely different than it is on BBOS, and would likely be better.
    01-08-13 01:55 PM
    If they can make Bridge work between BBOS and PBOS, it seems like it would be even easier to make it work between PBOS and BB10.

The simpler solution would be to release BB10 for the PB quickly and they could just focus on one architecture.

I'm not expecting, but I'm hoping that will be their surprise "One more thing..." bombshell they could drop at the launch event. It would be a good jumpstart to the BB10 numbers.
    01-08-13 02:14 PM
    If they can make Bridge work between BBOS and PBOS, it seems like it would be even easier to make it work between PBOS and BB10.

The simpler solution would be to release BB10 for the PB quickly and they could just focus on one architecture.

I'm not expecting, but I'm hoping that will be their surprise "One more thing..." bombshell they could drop at the launch event. It would be a good jumpstart to the BB10 numbers.
    It is possible but unfortunately not likely that RIM will do that. The PlayBook has already been deemed a flop. They will want bb10 on the L series first. Though they may drop a dev version for the PlayBook.
    01-08-13 02:17 PM

I don't get where people come out with stuff like it will be easier to do pb to bb10, we cannot know this, all we do know is that a complete rewrite of bridge will be required.

As far as that "one more thing..." there is zero chance of that happening, they are working stupidly busy to get bb10 ready for hardware that could save their company and you think they would spare anyone to update a flop that loses them money with each sale, not happening.
    01-08-13 02:31 PM
    Well, if there is no bridge capability on BB10 by launch, RIM will be alienating a whole whack of Playbook w/bridge users. Either way, I don't think bridge on QNX based devices would be an app. It should be built right in ready to bridge with any new device RIM has planned for their future. The playbook is not dead, people still use it everyday. I use it every day. It would only make sense to have the capability off the bat. If anything it should exist by the time BB10 is on playbook or ready for a launch of new tablets. But, in those months without it, many fans will not be happy or may not switch to BB10 because of it. RIM must see this as keeping loyal customers happy. They have to keep as many people happy as possible if they want to succeed. BB10 bridge functions should not be that difficult to do anyway. This should be one of those things the developers are working on to ready BB10 for launch. I always say "never burn bridges" haha. RIM shouldn't either.
    01-08-13 02:48 PM
    I am expecting bridge. Would be nice to have a new playbook with bluetooth 4.0 (among other things) to go with LTE and bluetooth 4.0 on the phone. Would make for better browsing speeds on bridge.
    01-08-13 05:29 PM
    This is my guess at what will happen, they will announce a PlayBook 2 to be available around the same time as the phone as well as BB10 for the original PlayBook and all to be available within the following month. So bridge shouldn't be a problem for new users. I am hopping that the new bridge on the BB10 PlayBook will still work with my 9860 phone till I can upgrade at the end of March.
    01-08-13 06:50 PM
    I don't get where people come out with stuff like it will be easier to do pb to bb10, we cannot know this, all we do know is that a complete rewrite of bridge will be required.

As far as that "one more thing..." there is zero chance of that happening, they are working stupidly busy to get bb10 ready for hardware that could save their company and you think they would spare anyone to update a flop that loses them money with each sale, not happening.
    Simmer down there, chief. The phrase "it seems like" denotes speculation, which is what I was doing, along with EVERYONE else in this thread including you. If we "cannot know this", then we you also cannot know if it is wrong. It's simple logic really. If one could get two completely different OSes to "bridge" with one another, then it would seem that getting two OSes with similar underpinnings to work together would be easier.

And given your obviously deep understanding of the PlayBook and ALL aspects of RIM's finances as related to it, I'm not even going to touch your other comments...
    eddy_berry likes this.
    01-08-13 07:05 PM