I've been curious about if Blackberry will make something more than just phones and tablets.
    Apple recently announced they are making iwatch and itv's. I don't know how big the watch markets are these days since everyone uses their phones to check the time.

I know that the QNX technology that the new blackberry OS is being operated on are in most cars, nuclear systems, defense systems, etc...but the company Blackberry itself has only been producing phones and tablets. Unless I'm missing something? But I'm quite curious if they'll go beyond those markets and explore the rest of the markets out there.

Anyone think they will ? I also read a little about mobile computing that Heins talked about, they want to be the "leading mobile computing" out there. But I didn't read too much about it.

What you guys think ...
    02-15-13 02:45 AM
    If QNX is in something than I would say BlackBerry is as well since they do own QNX...

BB10 has already been seen on concept vehicles
    m0de25 likes this.
    02-15-13 02:54 AM
    If QNX is in something than I would say BlackBerry is as well since they do own QNX...

BB10 has already been seen on concept vehicles
    I also want to note that laptops are out of the question since Thors belive phones & tablets will replace laptops in the near future.

Now back to your statement. Yes the QNX is owned by Blackberry, but the whole thing that the QNX is operating on isn't Blackberry products themselfs. Nothing else is labeled with Blackberry beside phones and tablets.

Samsungs have their own phones, tablets, tv's, cameras, etc...
    Apple has phones, tablets, music players(ipods), and soon tvs and watches.

Will blackberry create more products like those ?
    02-15-13 03:08 AM
    This OS is going to be BBRY'S bread and butter for the next ten years. TH has repeatedly called it a mobile computing platform. The plans and ideas that BBRY has for the future is why I'm still very confident in their future.

This device, the Z10, is just the springboard that they needed to get their foot back in the door and once again be the only name in the "Smart Phone" market.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 04:47 AM
    I think they should first get their phone business to boom again like they did on the good old days.

If they shift their concentration to too many other projects, they surely will lose the fight.

So my opinion, first make the phone & tablet side to rock and after that start thinking other things.
    vzinside likes this.
    02-15-13 05:28 AM
    I think their plan is to license the software for other platforms, unless they come up with a killer idea.
    Also, BB10 can be licensed instead of QNX. In this case, other companies can license just certain functionality of the BB10 OS. So, for instance, just the core OS and the browser funtionality.
    Apparently, it can be broken up in that fashion.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    02-15-13 06:08 AM
    I think they should first get their phone business to boom again like they did on the good old days.

If they shift their concentration to too many other projects, they surely will lose the fight.

So my opinion, first make the phone & tablet side to rock and after that start thinking other things.
    The BB10OS is going to be the fire for the next ten years. I'm sure TH will make sure it is 100% before he morphs it for other uses

02-15-13 06:28 AM
    They technically already have.
    30 Ways QNX Touches Your Life
    inffy likes this.
    02-15-13 06:30 AM
    BlackBerry: The Next 10 Things That Will Happen | Lifehacker Australia
    10. PlayBook’s successor is uncertain, but we’ll see more computing-centric devices and cheaper mobile phone models. BlackBerry has said that the PlayBook was key in persuading developers to adopt its new technology framework (it handed out 25,000 devices for free) and has promised that it will eventually run BlackBerry 10. There has been no direct word on a potential successor to the well-liked but little-sold tablet, but CEO Heins continually emphasised the idea that BlackBerry has to move beyond a communication-centric core (phone and email) to embrace the full potential of computing.
    02-15-13 07:10 AM
    Apple recently announced they are making iwatch and itv's ...
    No, they did not announce anything - only a lot of speculations floating around - but IF they will make an device named "iWatch" it will be an wearable iDevice and therefor an Addition / replacement of an iPhone an Not in competion to the wristwatch Business...
    02-15-13 11:27 AM
    Apple recently announced they are making iwatch and itv's.
    Unless I've missed an announcement, I think its the rumor mill that's talking about an iWatch and iTV, its all speculation and rumors.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    02-15-13 11:37 AM
    No, they did not announce anything - only a lot of speculations floating around - but IF they will make an device named "iWatch" it will be an wearable iDevice and therefor an Addition / replacement of an iPhone an Not in competion to the wristwatch Business...
    Unless I've missed an announcement, I think its the rumor mill that's talking about an iWatch and iTV, its all speculation and rumors.
    I read about the iWatch in this article Disruptions: Apple Is Said to Be Developing a Curved-Glass Smart Watch - NYTimes.com

They even talk about a glass that's bendable called Willow Glass. I think this is the same glass that Samsung is using on their new phone line that's able to bend its screen back and forth without ripping it.
    If Apple is able to pull this such device off, you'll have a full touch screen watch wrapped on your wrist. Sounds pretty damn awesome to me.
    02-15-13 02:03 PM
    I do agree that Blackberry should focus boosting their phone and tablets to the public and gain more traction from them. But it would be amazing if they start producing something else, I'll certainly buy them.
    02-15-13 02:07 PM
    I read about the iWatch in this article Disruptions: Apple Is Said to Be Developing a Curved-Glass Smart Watch - NYTimes.com

They even talk about a glass that's bendable called Willow Glass. I think this is the same glass that Samsung is using on their new phone line that's able to bend its screen back and forth without ripping it.
    If Apple is able to pull this such device off, you'll have a full touch screen watch wrapped on your wrist. Sounds pretty damn awesome to me.
    That is all speculation...
    02-15-13 02:24 PM
    I'm all for mobile computing and look forward to just docking my phone or tablet and having all the programs I need in the cloud or box (whatever) for doing personal and professional business. I'm tired of constant updates, upgrades, and lugging big objects around to get things done. I want my vehicle navigation, music, email, news, and messaging programs all in one device as I commute here and there. Bring it on.....
    02-15-13 02:45 PM
    Because of QNX's ability to do transparent distributed processing(basically QNX devices can speak very easily with other QNX devices), I would hope we'll eventually see a lot of new BB accessible products using QNX. I want to see QNX thermostats, printers, wifi lighting so your house lights turn on and off automatically based on where you and your phone are. QNX Car 2 in a bunch of new models with apps so so your car won't drive unless your phone is in it and you can start it remotely from your phone with no 3rd party stuff required. Basically I hope Blackberry is finding partners that make near anything, and convincing them to put QNX in their devices so they can be controlled by a BB10 device via an application.
    02-15-13 04:56 PM
    TH has stated often that in the longer term, he wants to bring the "Internet of Things" to reality. From other conversations he has had with media, he gave the impression that BB is working on a number of devices. Perhaps unlike at what goes on in iLabs, the research is more focused on the practical and useful. We may yet see a large ecosystem come out of BB.
    02-15-13 05:18 PM
    Because of QNX's ability to do transparent distributed processing(basically QNX devices can speak very easily with other QNX devices), I would hope we'll eventually see a lot of new BB accessible products using QNX. I want to see QNX thermostats, printers, wifi lighting so your house lights turn on and off automatically based on where you and your phone are. QNX Car 2 in a bunch of new models with apps so so your car won't drive unless your phone is in it and you can start it remotely from your phone with no 3rd party stuff required. Basically I hope Blackberry is finding partners that make near anything, and convincing them to put QNX in their devices so they can be controlled by a BB10 device via an application.
    There us the OnStar app that already unlocks your car and start it for you. As well as a door lock system that is NFC inabled as well as a thermostat. So most of those ideas are already in play just not very well known.

02-15-13 05:22 PM
    I also want to note that laptops are out of the question since Thors belive phones & tablets will replace laptops in the near future.

Now back to your statement. Yes the QNX is owned by Blackberry, but the whole thing that the QNX is operating on isn't Blackberry products themselfs. Nothing else is labeled with Blackberry beside phones and tablets.

Samsungs have their own phones, tablets, tv's, cameras, etc...
    Apple has phones, tablets, music players(ipods), and soon tvs and watches.

Will blackberry create more products like those ?
    Blackberry will definitely get back into tablets, just have to figure out making them cheaper. Beyond that, not sure if they'll manufacture devices... I think they'll license BB10 to other 'hardware' providers.

Say, for example, to Television makers that aren't Samsung or LG! Imagine BB10 powering a nice beautiful Sony 60" TV that bridges with your phone... I think that's why the other companies, especially Samsung, aren't too pleased about Blackberry not dying.
    02-15-13 05:37 PM
    It's not made by BlackBerry or run on QNX, but I always did like the inPulse.
    inPulse Smartwatch for BlackBerry Smartphones Gets Official; Now Available for Pre-Order! | CrackBerry.com
    02-15-13 05:39 PM
    That is all speculation...
    That is quite awesome. What would be more awesome, would be an OS worthy of being on such awesome tech! Like BB10. IF Apple can do it, and Samsung can do it, that means the 'hardware' will be available for others. And if Blackberry can't afford to build it, they can license their better OS to someone who can. =)
    02-15-13 05:40 PM
    That is quite awesome. What would be more awesome, would be an OS worthy of being on such awesome tech! Like BB10. IF Apple can do it, and Samsung can do it, that means the 'hardware' will be available for others. And if Blackberry can't afford to build it, they can license their better OS to someone who can. =)
    which is probly how it is going to play out. BBRY needs the $ to start building all these great ideas they hve and if they cant get the $ they will liceance it out so that it will still be built non-the-less
    02-16-13 11:07 AM
    It may be just me, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they DONT. Lets do one thing really well first.
    02-16-13 11:14 AM
    Yeah qnx is already on planes, cars and supposedly the space shuttle. So maybe they will have a line of mp3 players.
    02-16-13 01:58 PM
    I've been curious about if Blackberry will make something more than just phones and tablets.
    What you guys think ...
    Yes Blackberry is considering a docking station.

Thorsten Heins Takes Shot at Apple and Microsoft as BlackBerry Aims to Compete With Cupertino and Redmond on All Fronts | The Gadget Masters
    02-16-13 03:24 PM