I remember the euphoria when BBM launched with some Crackberry pundits saying BBM will surpass WhatsApp by next year. Since the FaceBook purchase, WhatsApp has grown by at least 250 million users. What can BB do to catch up or will they ever? And please don't tell me BBM are for Prosumers
    MarsupilamiX and techvisor like this.
    01-06-15 09:07 PM
    Nope they won't catch up.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    01-06-15 09:16 PM
    I think it's not giving the OPTION to use phone number and automatic adding. Again, OPTION, not requirement.

I know a lot of people who told me they switched from BBM to WhatsApp because of that.

Posted via CB10
    trinichindian and menshawy like this.
    01-06-15 09:20 PM
    Who knows.

I just deleted Whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    Djlatino likes this.
    01-06-15 09:28 PM
    Stopped using it after my husband was able to get bbm on his iphone - my favorite part of blackberry...oh wait and the keyboard...and then there's the hub...

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    01-06-15 09:39 PM
    After the security breaches I'm surprised so many signed on - but then it takes all kinds to make a world!

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    TJKGT likes this.
    01-06-15 09:53 PM
    If nothing was revealed in the last quarter earnings call it means BBM business division is not doing well..

The hype is no more...

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 09:55 PM
    I think it's not giving the OPTION to use phone number and automatic adding. Again, OPTION, not requirement.

I know a lot of people who told me they switched from BBM to WhatsApp because of that.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. This.

BlackBerry needs to wake up and stop shooting themselves in the foot. They just don't get it. BBM should be a consumer focused product. With that should be the option of using phone numbers instead of PIN's. They can keep eBBM and BBM protected as their enterprise versions of BBM with more security and no option for adding contacts with their phone numbers. Consumers are not obsessed with security. Making one little change like this and giving users the option to use their phone number instead of a pin will go a long way. But this is BB we are talking about. Sigh...
    menshawy, srzjumper and Mr4aces like this.
    01-06-15 09:55 PM
    For the love of god! Get rid of the PIN requirement once and for all. We had fun with the whole exclusive club thing. But I have nobody to use it with because of that.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 10:09 PM
    Nobody answer to you know who. If you do then this thread might change to one of those fighting threads.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 10:30 PM
    WhatsApp is just easier to share/find contacts. I personally do not use WhatsApp and prefer texting. I also use BBM with a total of two people as my list grows smaller and smaller due to people just giving up on it.
    01-06-15 10:33 PM
    Also, maybe the quality of BBM on non BlackBerry platforms weren't great all the time. I got three people to use download BBM on iOS and two deleted it because of quality. This was before the latest update. I told one of them about the update but he said he doesn't want to download for now.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-06-15 10:35 PM
    Sure let's just hand over our phone numbers to be hacked, wait till you get more spam texts then ever before, right now I only have to contend with Rogers spamming me with their First Rewards crap

Posted via CB Z30
    01-06-15 10:36 PM
    I'm sure my old number from a few years ago is in that whatsapp subscriber base.
    Used it for all of an hour but yet I'm counted as a subscriber.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 10:43 PM
    I remember the euphoria when BBM launched with some Crackberry pundits saying BBM will surpass WhatsApp by next year. Since the FaceBook purchase, WhatsApp has grown by at least 250 million users. What can BB do to catch up or will they ever? And please don't tell me BBM are for Prosumers
    BBM are for Prosumers.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-06-15 10:44 PM
    It's called OPTIONS.

Why don't some people understand that.

Don't want to use numbers or automatic adding then DON'T. That's the point of OPTIONS.

Want to use PINs only? Then you CAN.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 10:44 PM
    BBM are for Prosumers.

Posted via CB10
    No its not.

It's pretty obvious but I'll just use one word to prove it: stickers.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 10:45 PM
    These numbers can be misleading. They just mention the number of people registered on WA. The actual number using it maybe less. To answer the OP's question I frankly don't think BBM will ever catch up. That ship sailed when they released a buggy version for iOS and Android. I personally prefer BBM any day because one doesn't have to deal with unknown numbers spamming you.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 10:48 PM
    No its not.

It's pretty obvious but I'll just use one word to prove it: stickers.

Posted via CB10
    Sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 11:02 PM
    Lol never.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 11:25 PM
    Will BBM catch up to WhatsApp? Doubtful. I've been considering deleting BBM for a while now. Literally every contact I had on BBM has moved to WhatsApp or iMessage. Professional and personal. All of them. I haven't even opened my BBM app in a long time.
    01-06-15 11:35 PM
    LOL

Will BBM catchup WhatsApp?
    Will BlackBerry catchup Apple?

These threads keeps on popping up irrespective of what BBRY is saying loud and clear that they are focusing on enterprise. There are really too many hopefuls still exists here dreaming of a BlackBerry winning in a nasty consumer war. ;-)

IMO, BlackBerry should quickly act within enterprise to anchor themselves before Facebook+WhatsApp combine bulldozes them there too.

Seriously are they?
    01-07-15 04:27 AM
    LOL

Will BBM catchup WhatsApp?
    Will BlackBerry catchup Apple?

These threads keeps on popping up irrespective of what BBRY is saying loud and clear that they are focusing on enterprise. There are really too many hopefuls still exists here dreaming of a BlackBerry winning in a nasty consumer war. ;-)

IMO, BlackBerry should quickly act within enterprise to anchor themselves before Facebook+WhatsApp combine bulldozes them there too.

Seriously are they?
    You're on Crackberry, which is dominated by consumers. Very few seem to accept the whole enterprise thing.
    kbz1960, mornhavon and ponpiri like this.
    01-07-15 04:34 AM
    I can't delete whatsapp or find an alternative to viber since all my contacts have whatsapp and viber both personal and work... can't lie and say bbm has not fallen behind badly.

CB10 Passporter
    menshawy likes this.
    01-07-15 04:55 AM
    1. it is almost impossible to further spread BBM, as long as there is no OPTION for doing it through phone numbers.
    2. BBM quality on other platforms, in particular on iOS, is still so bad, that users actually don't want to use it, nor do they want to win others over to using it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbm-ios.../#post11236096

So no, they will never catch up, if this doesn't change.
    kbz1960 and menshawy like this.
    01-07-15 05:07 AM
162 123 ...