Given that you can still find the 9900 and 9360 in every phone store in Canada I have been too I am wondering if these will continue to be sold after the BB10 launch and how the market will perceive this. These phones have been available for almost a year and a half already so are they going to go end of life as soon as BB10 is available or be sold in parallel for a number of months.
    11-27-12 10:50 AM
    Plans are to support OS 7 for around 2 years. Current OS7 phones will be in market for another year, but can be discontinued much sooner is BB10 reaches expected figures.

Around 200 employees are working at RIM to support the development of OS7.
    11-27-12 11:05 AM
    Plans are to support OS 7 for around 2 years. Current OS7 phones will be in market for another year, but can be discontinued much sooner is BB10 reaches expected figures.

Around 200 employees are working at RIM to support the development of OS7.
    My impression is that they will be around in the developing world for another year or two given that they launched later than in North America and BB10 will probably be too expensive to sell in large quantities there until the price/performance ratio of hardware comes down to make it affordable to sell a BB10 phone with a good experience there. I can't see having the BB10 Bold and the 9900 being sold side by side as this will just create confusion in the marketplace
    11-27-12 12:00 PM
    Might have a problem getting them from a carrier but it's almost a guarantee they'll be available on ebay and/or members here willing to sell in the marketplace, as well as craigslist and a few other sites.
    11-27-12 12:22 PM
    I imagine software upgrades will stop, though.
    11-27-12 03:04 PM
    RIM needs the word Blackberry to mean BB10 devices, they need their BB10 user base to really grow in order to attract developers. If OS7 stay in he North American market, it will delay many business from adopting the BB10 platform. So OS7 has got to go.

RIM needs sales, and BB10 devices are not going to be able to compete on the low end with its requirement for a dual core processos. Sure those are pretty common now, but not on most of your sub $100 smartphones ( or free on contract). So OS7 has to stay.
    11-27-12 03:37 PM
    Well I just got my OS7 device last month, so I sure hope I'll still get support! I have 3 years to pay this off!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    11-27-12 04:06 PM
    I hope not.
    11-27-12 04:11 PM
    I imagine software upgrades will stop, though.
    Eventually, yes. But not immediately.
    11-27-12 04:43 PM
    Well I just got my OS7 device last month, so I sure hope I'll still get support! I have 3 years to pay this off!

Don't worry, RIM will support it. In fact, there will be BBOS8 or 9 which still build at the same platform.
    11-27-12 04:56 PM
    Don't worry, RIM will support it. In fact, there will be BBOS8 or 9 which still build at the same platform.
    Oh I hope so... any official word on this though?

I realize this isn't realistic, but I wish RIM would continue the BBOS line as it's communications-focused device, with BB10 being a parallel, more app-focused platform to compete with the similar Android and iPhone. There's a reason I picked BBOS two years ago over those more popular platforms, as it was a rather unique approach to a phone, not just a "better" version of the same idea. If I knew BBOS was going to continue being developed (along with trackpad / touchscreen devices), I'd be seriously tempted to buy BBOS8+ instead of BB10.
    11-27-12 06:33 PM
    I have no information at all, which is why I'm perfectly positioned to bloviate on this question.

I think BB7 devices will continue to be supported by North American carriers, and RIM will continue to release minor OS updates to BB7 and even earlier versions of BBOS. But I very much doubt that these carriers will continue to sell BBOS phones; at best they'll replace them under warranty. The reason is simple. RIM needs BB10 to be successful in North America, so they don't want to be in competition with themselves. In North America, BBOS will be a legacy OS as of Jan. 30, 2012, and it needs to be perceived as such from that day forward. As Scalemaster said above, RIM needs the word "BlackBerry" to mean BB10 and nothing less.
    11-27-12 07:04 PM
    Oh I hope so... any official word on this though?

I realize this isn't realistic, but I wish RIM would continue the BBOS line as it's communications-focused device, with BB10 being a parallel, more app-focused platform to compete with the similar Android and iPhone. There's a reason I picked BBOS two years ago over those more popular platforms, as it was a rather unique approach to a phone, not just a "better" version of the same idea. If I knew BBOS was going to continue being developed (along with trackpad / touchscreen devices), I'd be seriously tempted to buy BBOS8+ instead of BB10.
    I forget the article, but it's within Crackberry News.
    11-27-12 09:07 PM
    I have not heard anything saying there will be a OS 8 and 9, OS 7 is it and i doubt there will be many updates do it. The OS is maxed out except for bug updates or patches. Heck they laid off almost all the java devs that would upkeep those devices.
    11-27-12 09:12 PM
    I hope this is true. I'm passing my 9930 to my wife after the launch of BB10. It'll be an upgrade for the both of us.
    11-27-12 09:13 PM
    A note on OS7 from my high-school buddy who's a programmer at RIM:

"Yup, we'll be driving sales up to and beyond bb10 release. Have to support those on long contracts, also the curve 7.x series will still be sold for quite a while (cheap upgrade option for those making the first move from feature phones to smart phones)"

Jtaylor1986 likes this.
    11-28-12 09:20 AM
    i'm not sure but i know my 9900 will be available after the BB10 launch
    jweihrauch likes this.
    11-28-12 01:49 PM
    There has been ABSOLUTELY NO indication from RIM that there will be a new version of BBOS.

OS7.x handsets will be sold for the next couple of years--I've heard RIM sources say as long as two years--so we'll certainly see it maintained and patched. EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that we'll see new features implemented, though.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-28-12 02:21 PM
    I think they will be gone eventually, but I think thats why they made the upgrade to 7.1 ... I read somewhere in the forums that OS7 and BB10 will be there both for a while, but I guess they will be focus on people upgrading to BB10 at all.

Having the N-Series released there will be no reason people to think so much if they want to change or not (besides they contracts)
    11-28-12 02:36 PM
    RIM needs sales, and BB10 devices are not going to be able to compete on the low end with its requirement for a dual core processos. Sure those are pretty common now, but not on most of your sub $100 smartphones ( or free on contract). So OS7 has to stay.
    So what really concerns me is RIMs push to get back into the more mature high end markets while it's really been the low end emerging markets that has been keeping them float. . .(IMO). . .so the plan seems to be to keep BB7 around for the low end and push BB10 to the high end. . .not sure how well that will play out. . .RIM needs BB10 devices at high, mid and low end and as soon a possible! Mid and low end BB10 devices within the next 3-6 months can easily solidify RIMs place in emerging markets (i.e. stop the encroachment of low end android devices) and help fund RIMs tougher fight for the high end in more mature markets. . . I think. . .lol
    11-28-12 03:33 PM
    I think it will play out based on how well BB10 is received. If BB10 is a hit, then that will probably cause a faster end to the BB7 lineup. If it is more of a slow burn, BB7 might stay around a little longer to help fill the gap.
    11-28-12 04:30 PM