I personally think in a few years, 'smartphones' will replace everything - tablets, laptops, even PCs. You'll just dock your phone and BAM! There's your desktop. The best of the Motorola Atrix\Asus Padphone concepts all wrapped into one.
    06-04-12 07:20 PM
    I will use both

One of RIM's goals is to have these devices work together in creative ways.
    06-04-12 07:30 PM
    ^agreed

The more BB10 devices the better, more friends to play with eachother.

Seeing the capabilites of the platform from the TAT demos and what they've already done with bridge I can't wait to use multiple BB10 devices.
    06-05-12 12:30 AM
    This is all speculation based on the presumption that we actually know the direction that RIM is taking with BB10 across devices and into a cloud. I can't answer the question until I'm able to see what the relationship of each device that RIM will relese with BB10 is relative to other devices, clouds, and services.

I know what BB6 bridged to PB OS 2.1 beta creates in terms of a user experience and a combined functionality right now. I have no idea what the BB10 that we'll see in a few months will really be - but more importantly - can be - if it survives and is allowed to mature.
    06-05-12 12:48 AM
    I was also thinking that my next tablet would be Playbook 2 (if it is ever released, which I have some doubts about).

However, after having owned the Playbook for many months now and seeing how slowly the OS and the ecosystem have been evolving, I may reconsider my original plans.

After seeing the recent previews of Windows 8 tablets I am more inclined to think that I will go with one of those. They look amazing (both hardware and software) so far.
    06-05-12 12:51 AM
    When the BlackBerry 10 smartphones are released I will replace my BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780. My BlackBerry PlayBook will remain a complement to the smartphone because it has its uses. I might even be tempted to by an all-touch BlackBerry 10 smartphone if the form-factor was of the conceptual BlackBerry Blade. However, a physical keyboard would be my preference; a side-slider-style keyboard for the BlackBerry Blade would be both easy to use and ergonomic akin to the Microsoft "Natural" keyboards for desktop computers.
    06-05-12 12:59 AM
    Well, I'd tend to state the opposite ... BB10 on Playbook may refrain me to switch to BB10 phones. Graphical on larger screen and shortcuts and fast typing on the phone ...
    But ... c'mon, you know I'll get the phone too
    06-05-12 02:00 AM
    the only thing that will "replace" my Playbook is the Playbook2 or Black Forrest as Kevin mentioned.

Same here. I'd love to see a PlayBook2 or whatever with the styling of the 9900. I like the understated look of my current PlayBook, but a chrome bezel and some carbon fiber weave element would look really nice.

My BB10 phone won't replace my PlayBook because at its size, the PlayBook really is perfect for gaming.
    06-05-12 02:04 AM
    Having a Dev Alpha where I sideloaded all the apps I use most on my PB, I'd say that it won't replace my PlayBook, as the 7" it's very comfortable to be read. (as opposed to my 10" tablet that's too big to carry around)
    06-05-12 03:45 AM
    No, it will not replace the PlayBook, the PB is not a personal device for me, the whole family can and does use it. My phone is my phone.

Edit - I'll probably wait for the qwerty version anyway, I just can't see myself with a touch only phone, even the PB is frustrating when it comes to text input.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-05-12 at 04:04 AM.
    06-05-12 04:01 AM
    No phone will replace my PlayBook because I purchased a tablet (PlayBook) to have a larger screen for document editing (whilst not having to lug around a heavy/bulky netbook/laptop)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 06-05-12 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
    06-05-12 09:40 AM
    People have an iphone and they still get ipads

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 10:23 AM
    I'll be holding out for the BB10 with a real keyboard. My PB will be around for a long time.
    I'm not one for changing devices frequently, just to have the latest and greatest.
    06-05-12 10:52 AM
    nah, I use the playbook for gaming and usually at home reading books watching movies and youtube videos. My phone for productive stuff, depends if they make the battery last longer, might use it to replace my ipod for music, my 9900 battery life sucks!

06-05-12 10:56 AM
    I won't get rid of my Playbook for just the phone. I like the option of having a bigger screen for when I play a game, watch a movie, search the web etc, rather than having to bust out the laptop. It's 7" form factor is not an issue for me when I take it with me so I see no reason to scrap it. I look at it as I am going to have my main BB10 device (the phone) and a great little add on (the playbook).
    06-05-12 11:02 AM
    People have an iphone and they still get ipads

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    that is 3.5" to 10" though so you really cant compare.

4.3-4.7 to a 7 inch screen isnt near as big a leap. This is one reason i think you dont see many 7 inch android tablets that sell well or 7 inch tabs in general.
    06-05-12 11:11 AM
    I can't stress enough that this is an opinionated question.
    Will the BlackBerry 10 phones replace your Playbook? Will you sell it/not use it anymore?

For me, it partly will. But I probably won't get rid of it because I'm assuming it will still be able to do things that the phone's will not.
    Probably not, because I use the larger PB screen for reading books. Can read them on my current Torch, but screen's too small to be effective for enjoyable reading. Also use my PB to play old PSX games on, and the sreen on that is small enough already.
    06-05-12 11:22 AM
    apparently we're getting a 10" playbook or just a simple playbook 2. Only Time will tell...
    06-05-12 01:08 PM
    I plan on keeping both and using both. Phone for everyday items and playbook for long car/train/air plane rides... don't want to use the battery in my phone I might actually get a phone call
    06-05-12 06:36 PM
    I wouldn't mind having a BB10 phone (for home country usage), Playbook, *and* BB10 wi-fi only device (for extended travel).

While the Playbook is a great size for travel, it's still not light enough (want less than 1/2 lb. with charger). A full BB10 phone for travel is too expensive an item to lose. A BB10 wi-fi only device for about $250 would be perfect for me.
    06-05-12 07:23 PM
    Unless the new Playbook has phone capacity (unless it is through bluetooth I can't see holding a 7"playbook to my ear) I will use both a BB10 phone and a Playbook. For me they do two different things.
    06-05-12 08:07 PM
    Unless the new Playbook has phone capacity (unless it is through bluetooth I can't see holding a 7"playbook to my ear) I will use both a BB10 phone and a Playbook. For me they do two different things.
    With the driving laws now it is wise to always have a handfree headset. I have seen videos of people using a Galaxy Tab that way. It was hillarious.
    06-05-12 08:40 PM
    I'll be keeping my Playbook, its nice to have the bigger screen and also to be able to remote control the playbook (plugged into hdmi) with the phone.

I don't think my phone will ever replace my playbook, there just isn't *that* much overlap between what I do with both.
    06-05-12 09:07 PM
    If I still had one I don't think it would. I would still use it to browse & watch movies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 09:13 PM
    Even if the BB10 is the best phone in the world I will keep my playbook. At home the playbook is better to read the news, watch a movie, surf the internet etc because of its size, in my oppinion they are two different devices with two different purposes.
    06-05-12 11:52 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD