Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Will BB10 Phone Replace Your PlayBook?

I can't stress enough that this is an opinionated question.
    Will the BlackBerry 10 phones replace your Playbook? Will you sell it/not use it anymore?

For me, it partly will. But I probably won't get rid of it because I'm assuming it will still be able to do things that the phone's will not.
    Thanked by:
    richardat (10-25-2012) 

for some people i am sure it will. Carrying 2 devices is not ideal for many.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

Interesting question. I could see that as a yes for me actually... looking at the Dev Alpha and its nice big display, it definitely reduces the need for the PlayBook.

I'd say if there's a BB10 phone with a front facing keyboard, then I'd still go for a PlayBook.

Or i'd go for a full touchscreen BB10 phone, but then hopefully they'll also have a 10" playbook.

So probalby either way will need a BB phone and PlayBook.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts

I will still carry mine around I love the 7" screen size for games and movies. Plus Im pretty used to it now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

It will be the same as now I assume.

My phone is my phone. My PlayBook is my PlayBook.

Out and about? My phone.

At home lounging around? PlayBook
    XoXoXo
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

I think it depends on how large the screen is on the new BB10 devices. If they release a large touchscreen between 4.3 to 4.5 inches the PlayBook will be less useful. If they are conservative and stick to the 3.5 to 4 inches then a 7" tablet would still be necessary for some.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,320 Global Posts

Not for me. A 4+" screen is still too small for me to comfortably surf. I even wear my reading glasses when using my pb.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    Spencerdl likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I've had my playbook for about a week now. Sadly, I just use it for games. It's a wifi only unit, so I haven't bothered with email and I don't bother "connecting" it to my blackberry since the bluetooth will just kill my battery.

I just find the playbook limited. Without Skype or Netflix I still pickup another device a lot at work or home.

So yeah, a 10x phone would easily replace it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,582 Global Posts

For most home surfing, videos on plane rides, Citrix remote access, and videoconferencing while traveling overseas, no 4.2" is to small for those. I usually use my Playbook much more than my Macbook Pro in the evening to surf around. I typically don't carry my Playbook out and about with me much though so phone will do for need based usage while out and about. I'd love to see a dock for the Playbook, and/or BB10 phone released that allowed a keyboard, mouse and Monitor to connect to it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

I will keep my Playbook and buy the BB10 with the keyboard as soon as it is released. I will never get rid of my Playbook.

Global Posts
    17,808 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Not for me. A 4+" screen is still too small for me to comfortably surf. I even wear my reading glasses when using my pb.
    I feel the same way. I've come to the conclusion that I will carry two devices (Phone and tablet) from now on, so it might as well be a 7" tablet (not to big and not to small). The PlayBook is ideal for my daily needs and wants.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,042 Global Posts

Default Choice is nice

I will have a 7" PB. The actual question is will I have a BB10 at first. It is clear BB10 will be LTE on Verizon. And rumor has it Bridge will change from Bluetooth to WiFi. With that combo, the PB performance everywhere will be nearly equal to WiFi.

If the LTE PlayBook comes out, I may consider going that direction. In which case I would stay with my Torch until my contract ends. I am very happy with my Torch except it is 3G. When it provides Internet for my PB, I really want 4G.

So: WiFi 7" PB and BB10 or, LTE 7" PB and Torch 9850 are the options I'm considering at this time.
    CrackBerry Genius

Someone said a while back that for us who already own a BB phone and PlayBook we already have the lot.

Other than the gadgety bb10 camera tricks and what not is there anything the bb10 can do that a pb cant?

I'll get a BB10 but I don't think my PB will sit in the corner gathering dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1232 View Post
    Someone said a while back that for us who already own a BB phone and PlayBook we already have the lot.

Other than the gadgety bb10 camera tricks and what not is there anything the bb10 can do that a pb cant?

I'll get a BB10 but I don't think my PB will sit in the corner gathering dust.
    better camera and a radio would be 2 big things IMO. Better internal hardware (mem and processor upgrade) would be 2 more things that certain will come in to play
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

the only thing that will "replace" my Playbook is the Playbook2 or Black Forrest as Kevin mentioned.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    SK122387 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    better camera and a radio would be 2 big things IMO. Better internal hardware (mem and processor upgrade) would be 2 more things that certain will come in to play
    Extra speed is always good. I'm happy with my pb speed at the moment, pretty snappy.

The PlayBook perfectly fits the gap between my phone and my laptop. Even if the phone is a little larger, there's still going to be a gap there that the PB will fill nicely.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts

I'm so use to putting my Torch on the recharger when I get home and picking up my playbook to surf, play games, or what-not.

I like the 7" screen size and its also great for portability. Other than recharging my phone at home it normally never leaves my side.. so I think I would still keep my playbook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

If I get a BB10 with 4" screen, I think the 7" playbook would be redundant. The next logical thing would be a 10" playbook to really make a difference, but then you lose the portability, therefore frequency of use....

I like the idea of a qwerty bb10 paired to the PB
    On #BBM C000D377B
    Use Evernote?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts

No I wouldn't give up or even stop carrying my PlayBook for a QNX phone. I would give up my BB phone if the PlayBook 2 had cellular capabilities. One device is always better but in this case it would have to be the size of the PlayBook. I've tried even 5" phones and they just don't cut it for browsing. 7" rules.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I will carry both...
    I purchased the 64GB model so there is no way I would sacrifice that amount of storage...
    Plus with the upcoming share your screen with another device, the meshing of the 2 devices will be a wonderful tool to utilize...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts

I'm thinking of getting a PlayBook instead of a BB10 phone. At least for a while until there is a qwerty BB10 phone to consider.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

No way PlayBook is my tablet and my Bold 9930 handles phone related things like phone calls. I am sure there is a device to replace my PlayBook being worked on somewhere.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Addict

Probably not, since I will be replacing my playbook with the 3g/lte version eh
    Be Proud
    9700(black)-9700(white)-9790-9900(black)-9900(white)-Playbook 32/64GB/LTE-Z10(black)-Z10(white)-Q10(black)
    BlackBerry by choice
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Default No way!

I have a phone with a 4.3 inch screen and still carry a PlayBook every day to work. I've been tethering the two because I on obviously can't use Bridge on a non-BB phone, and I still really love the way the PlayBook feels, works, etc. I think 7 inches is the perfect screen size for web browsing, videos, most games, etc. I will, however, happily replace my phone with a BB10 device as soon as they become available - and still carry the PlayBook too!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast