Will the 9650 follow suit for the other Verizon phones in having a locked GPS unit? I never got around to unlocking it on my Alltel Pearl and was hoping I won't have to mess around with unlocking it once I get my 9650.
    05-06-10 09:30 AM
    Been unlocked for quite a while now (my Storm 1 is)
    05-06-10 09:41 AM
    GPS hasnt been locked since verizon introduced the 9530 , and even the 8330 and the 8830 had the gps unlocked partially with blackberry maps.

so to answer your question it will be unlocked
    05-06-10 09:41 AM
    Hmm that is really weird. I picked up a friend's Tour last week and was playing around in Google Maps with it but GPS never seemed to work. I figured Verizon was still locking it, hence my original post.

What's up with that?
    05-06-10 09:48 AM
    The last three Blackberrys have not had the GPS locked. Those days are long gone.
    05-06-10 10:48 AM
    i think by unlocked they mean, you can use apps like google maps and poynt that need GPS. but locked for things like turn by turn voice GPS like telanav and VZ Nav. you have to pay extra 10 bucks for VZ nav
    05-06-10 10:50 AM
    Yeah the GPS on the Storm at first didn't work with Google Maps, people were pissed and complained. It turned out that Google needed to tweak their Google Maps for Mobile to fully work with the Storm. Took about 3 months if I remember correctly. The subsequent Blackberry's that launched on Verizon were fully capable, GPS included. My Tour has an excellent GPS lock with Google Maps.

Believe it or not some people don't realize that for your GPS to lock on you need to be outside or near a window. GPS typically doesn't work indoors, thats just the way it is.

VZ Nav has always required you to pay $10, that's the main reason Verizon locked down the GPS, so that you would pay them.
    05-06-10 11:01 AM
    Nice, so this sounds like I wouldn't need a bluetooth keychain puck correct. I don't need turn by turn directions, just an accurate read to where I am on Googlemaps.
    05-06-10 11:10 AM
    Nice, so this sounds like I wouldn't need a bluetooth keychain puck correct. I don't need turn by turn directions, just an accurate read to where I am on Googlemaps.
    Correct! Thats how I use my GPS.
    05-06-10 11:34 AM
    Hmm that is really weird. I picked up a friend's Tour last week and was playing around in Google Maps with it but GPS never seemed to work. I figured Verizon was still locking it, hence my original post.

What's up with that?
    They probably had the GPS antenna set to E911 only.
    05-10-10 12:53 PM
    i think by unlocked they mean, you can use apps like google maps and poynt that need GPS. but locked for things like turn by turn voice GPS like telanav and VZ Nav. you have to pay extra 10 bucks for VZ nav
    This isn't true either. You can get Garmin, Life In Pocket, Telenav or any other available turn by turn GPS app. i had Garmin Mobile for a bit on my VZW Tour. A fellow mod used both Garmin and Telenav to compare.

Google Maps locates within 3m. The Bold will be the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 08:40 AM
    This isn't true either. You can get Garmin, Life In Pocket, Telenav or any other available turn by turn GPS app. i had Garmin Mobile for a bit on my VZW Tour. A fellow mod used both Garmin and Telenav to compare.

Google Maps locates within 3m. The Bold will be the same.

now im confused i understand garmin because you pay for it. isn't telenav a fee based gps also? if not then why would people get VZ nav and pay the extra 10 bucks a month.
    05-11-10 01:00 PM
    Life In Pocket is a free app. Both Garmin and Telenav are paid apps. Either way, i pay $9.99/month for VZ Navigator because it's the best audible turn by turn GPS i've found. It has detailed maps, share/send locations, pertinent travel info such as miles left to destination and time left to destination. Traffic, WX, movies, events etc. It's well worth the $$ in my experience and my favorite app.

However, i can use any GPS app, free or paid, on the Tour. This applies also to the Storms 1+2, Curve 2 and Bold.

05-11-10 01:11 PM
    I just looked at a friends Tour and they could not change the GPS setting to Location On. Is there another setting that needs to be changed? I am using an 8330 and I am able to use GPS
    05-12-10 02:24 PM
    Why couldn't they change the setting? Are they are BES? That's the only setting that turns GPS on. You also need to set the GPS Apps permissions to Allow.

05-12-10 02:53 PM
    I am thinking he didn't know how to change the setting. I physically changed my other buddy's setting to Location On and they got their phones the same day.
    05-12-10 03:54 PM
    Can anyone tell me how they are getting the phone GPS to work with a Verizon 8330 (outside of VZNav/BB Maps/Bing)? Mine and my wife's will only use cell tower infor for apps outside of those 3 apps (such as foursquare/GoogleMaps). (We have to wait until August for her upgrade and March for mine.) Can someone point me to a step-by-step on how to get it to work?
    06-04-10 02:05 PM
    The GPS on VZW 8330 is locked. You can use it with VZ Navigator or BlackBerry Maps, that is all.

To use the 8330's GPS with 3rd party apps you'd need to buy an external GPS puck.

06-04-10 02:08 PM
    Thanks. I thought so, but I keep seeing people post about it working with their 8330, so I thought I'd ask.
    06-04-10 02:11 PM
    No problem. Either the VZW 8330 have a GPS puck, they're mistaken or they're using BlackBerry Maps or VZN.

06-04-10 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD