I'm a bit confused as to how this phone utilizes WiFi. I've established my connection and logged into via WEP ID without issue. Does the phone default to WiFi when its enabled or does it still try and use the data connection? I see the data arrows and when i tried to upload my BBM contacts via email i assumed it would be instantaneous...but no beans

Can anyone shed light on this?
    10-28-09 11:02 AM
    Didn't you hear? This phone doesn't have wifi.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    10-28-09 11:03 AM
    We left the Wifi out of yours. Noone else's, just yours.

I'm a bit confused as to how this phone utilizes WiFi. I've established my connection and logged into via WEP ID without issue. Does the phone default to WiFi when its enabled or does it still try and use the data connection? I see the data arrows and when i tried to upload my BBM contacts via email i assumed it would be instantaneous...but no beans

Can anyone shed light on this?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 11:04 AM
    Yeah, yeah, the reason i ask is because BBM keeps saying data service unavailable when i try to restore my contacts via email....my connective is intermittent at home but wifi is on...doesn't make sense to me...
    10-28-09 11:09 AM
    Go to manage connections, set up wifi. You can scan for available or just set up yours. After that it should work. If it doesn't, remember that this is the first cdma berry with wifi and be fricken patient.

10-28-09 11:26 AM
    There should be a little wifi icon that lights up when its connected via wifi. Easiest way to check is to use the browser. If there is a wifi symbol where the signal bars usually are then you're running data off of wifi
    10-28-09 11:55 AM
    Go to manage connections, set up wifi. You can scan for available or just set up yours. After that it should work. If it doesn't, remember that this is the first cdma berry with wifi and be fricken patient.

Chill, if you read i already set it up. And, for the records, Consumers are not beta testers...thats why RIM has engineers..

The problem resolved itself...not sure how, it just did
    10-28-09 11:59 AM
    When WiFi is active, you will see the Network Id where the time is on the home screen. Just tried it out, loading web pages was much faster.
    10-28-09 12:21 PM

Really guy, chill, the man was just asking a question, and you shouldn't have such low expectations.
    10-28-09 12:23 PM
    i just spoke to vodafone re this and one thing they asked me to do was changge the browser settings to hotspot rather than internet

the booklet tells you what the symbols look like when wifi is on and working
    10-28-09 12:31 PM
    as mentioned us hould have the wifi icon under the signal strenth. and when connected it will use only data automatically(as long as you are connected to wifi) if there is a network in the area but u are not connected to it it will show the wifi icon but it will sort of grayed out.
    10-28-09 12:35 PM
    Really guy, chill, the man was just asking a question, and you shouldn't have such low expectations.
    After dealing with people whining and crying after EVERY opening day purchase I just have no patience with it. The Storm was the first touch screen ANYTHING RIM ever made, and still there was nothing but crying. I just don't have the patience anymore.

10-28-09 01:15 PM
    so i set up my wifi with the directions, however in manage connections it says its connected but no check mark, just a dash. any ideas guys?
    10-28-09 01:59 PM
    Wow, the guy asks a valid question and the first 3 responses are either sarcastic or not even addressing the original question. Nice work.

OP - Glad you were able to get resolution.
    10-28-09 02:03 PM
    knock off the thread hijacking!

Last warning!
    10-28-09 02:07 PM
    as mentioned us hould have the wifi icon under the signal strenth. and when connected it will use only data automatically(as long as you are connected to wifi) if there is a network in the area but u are not connected to it it will show the wifi icon but it will sort of grayed out.
    on mine the wifi icon is greyed out if the phone is in gprs mode if its on 3g its bright white.

10-28-09 02:09 PM
    me too......
    10-28-09 08:57 PM
    Chill, if you read i already set it up. And, for the records, Consumers are not beta testers...thats why RIM has engineers..

The problem resolved itself...not sure how, it just did
    Hey man, how were you able to fix this? I scan and connect to my wireless network just fine. However, my wifi logo stays greyed out. No green check mark just white dash. Like I said though, I can turn off mobile network and still browse web just nothing else via wifi.... Any help? Anyone?

Thanks
    10-28-09 09:01 PM
    Hey man, how were you able to fix this? I scan and connect to my wireless network just fine. However, my wifi logo stays greyed out. No green check mark just white dash. Like I said though, I can turn off mobile network and still browse web just nothing else via wifi.... Any help? Anyone?

Thanks
    I have the same problem... it seems to work if after you set up the connection turn WiFi off in the connections and turn it back on.... now it connects to the wireless automatically with no problem and the icon is not greyed out.

Hope that helps you

my question is if you have your cell connection off why does it not use the wifi to send emails?
    10-28-09 09:06 PM
    I have the same problem... it seems to work if after you set up the connection turn WiFi off in the connections and turn it back on.... now it connects to the wireless automatically with no problem and the icon is not greyed out.

Hope that helps you

my question is if you have your cell connection off why does it not use the wifi to send emails?
    I have tried turning off the wifi and even deleting and repairing the wifi connection with my computer, I can't get it to turn white for the life of me. What I really don't understand is why I can surf the internet via wifi with the mobile network off but the damn thing won't turn white.
    10-28-09 09:14 PM
    i have tried it all nothing. In manage connection No green check mark next to wifi, just the ssid and and horizontal white line
    10-28-09 09:18 PM
    did you try another wifi spot...maybe there is a problem with the one you are at...try going to a coffee shop and testing

also correction i did get email to go out and recieve using wifi only and cell connection off
    10-28-09 09:20 PM
    I'm having the same problem as well. Connected to my home wifi successfully, but the icon on the phone is still greyed out. I don't get it. It won't work no matter what settings I change. It's even showing the name of my wireless on the main screen. yet it's not using it.. ugh
    10-28-09 09:20 PM
    I have tried multiple wifi spots, re-registering in host-routing table, re-sending service books via BIS from handset, re-setting my Verizon FiOS router, opening port 443, deleting the wifi network, manually setting it up, tried it on other wifi networks...NOTHING has worked.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but i looked through the online 9550 manual and it mentions that you can connect to the blackberry services through wifi if you're carrier has UMA enabled. Thats the only time it mentions anything about the ability to to send/receive email and BBM. So, my thought is that this must have something to do with UMA...others have said this is not the case, but i am all out of ideas...
    10-28-09 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD