Ok really stupid question here. What purpose does Wifi serve if you already have internet on your phone??

Thanks,
    Laurie
    04-22-08 06:29 PM
    Increased speed when loading pages, and if you are on T-Mobile, you can make calls through wifi. This is especially handy if you happen to be in a low coverage area.
    04-22-08 06:41 PM
    But if your in a low coverage area where is the wifi gonna connect too?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-08 07:17 PM
    Wifi has nothing to do with your regular signal. If you're in a hotspot area or in your home with a wireless router, that's where it will connect.

04-22-08 07:19 PM
    The wfi will connect to a wireless internet connection and make the call through the internet connections as opposed to the cell tower.

This helped me out one time in an area that was being newly developed and the signal for the mobile network was low to none at times.
    04-22-08 07:21 PM
    80% of the time I'm in a low coverage area, at work then at home. When I get somewhere that I have a full signal I'm in aww of the speed I get compared to the other. I guess I should get an 8320 and get a wirless network as much time as I spend on my bb at home.

04-22-08 07:22 PM
    Ok really stupid question here. What purpose does Wifi serve if you already have internet on your phone??

Thanks,
    Laurie
    not a stupid question at all..im new to bb's and was wondering the same thing.
    04-22-08 08:49 PM
    I have wi-fi on my 8820 and at home and I still usually just use my regular data. I don't see any difference at home but some other places when I'm connected to wi-fi it just loads super fast.

04-22-08 09:10 PM
    So if I am understanding this right all Wifi does is able you to get a signal when your regular internet/phone signal might be a little weak??
    04-22-08 09:17 PM
    It's also a faster connection.
    04-22-08 09:58 PM
    It's also a faster connection.
    and might be a cheaper connection
    04-22-08 10:00 PM

Thanks,
    Laurie

Hey Laurie, If your carrier is charging you by the second for voice or Kb for data, Wifi and UMA support mean you will have unlimited service.

In my country, that would mean hundreds of dollars every month or a $10 service. We are cheering for the big European carrier to set up shop and bring us such a deal.

If your carrier does not support UMA, you get really fast Browser.
    Last edited by Stoner; 04-22-08 at 10:09 PM.
    04-22-08 10:07 PM
    So if I am understanding this right all Wifi does is able you to get a signal when your regular internet/phone signal might be a little weak??
    Your Blackberry can connect to your cell providers "network" via cell towers, and to the Internet indirectly through their network. A Wi-Fi capable Blackberry allows you to also connect directly (ie not through the phone companies network) to a Wi-Fi hotspot (ie router) which may or may not be connected to the Internet (could be a private LAN for example).

In other words, it is another path to the network "cloud" as it is called. Depending on your plan and network capabilities you can use it to make voice over IP (VOIP) calls, just as you use Skype on a PC for example.

Primarily, is allows you to connect faster, and in places (like inside a mall or subway) where you have little or no cell tower coverage.

For this reason, I setup a Wi-Fi router at home on my cable modem (always on), and this allows me very fast 24/7 Internet access wirelessly from inside my home and immediate vicinity.
    04-22-08 10:42 PM
    I don't see much a difference, but then again, I haven't really tried to use it much. If I'm at home, I have my PC.
    04-22-08 11:31 PM
    At home, I have -108 dBm, half a bar.

If I had a carrier that offered UMA, I could have high quality service through my existing internet connection.
    04-23-08 01:54 AM
    I think I get it now, thanks all. I guess I have had pretty good coverage where I've been so far and I am on the unlimited plan so I guess Wifi for me is not needed. Of course now that I've said that I will go somewhere today and have no signal....LOL
    04-23-08 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD