New to the S2. If I am connected to wifi, does that automatically supersede the mobile data connection?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 09:20 AM
    No, you will still have a DATA connection. Just make sure your WiFi logo is in white not shaded grey. It should turn white make take 45 sec. or so but it should turn white, if it doesn't just resend your service books and that will fix it.
    05-24-10 10:15 AM
    So, dumb question then...what is the big deal about having wifi? Just for when you don't have service?

05-24-10 10:30 AM
    So, dumb question then...what is the big deal about having wifi? Just for when you don't have service?

NO! It's much faster than 3G (assuming you have fast internet connection and a strong wifi signal to your phone), so when you are connected via wifi, browsing is substantially faster. wifi is a very useful feature of the phone. some apps even allow you to choose "wifi only", "never", or "automatic". others use the wifi automatically if detected.
    05-24-10 10:38 AM
    It depends on the type of data or Apps your using. Some Alps will completely work and default to Wifi, some may not. BBM can work over Wifi. SMS will not. Browser should default to Wifi when its connected, and no you do NOT need to use Hotspot Browser to utilize Wifi. Internet Browser uses Wifi also and should default to it also.
    05-24-10 10:39 AM
    I have wifi signal, but if I turn off data on phone, I get message saying I can't connect to internet cause data services are turned off. Is this the way the bb is set up or is something wrong. Are the data and wifi connected?

05-24-10 11:04 AM
    I have wifi signal, but if I turn off data on phone, I get message saying I can't connect to internet cause data services are turned off. Is this the way the bb is set up or is something wrong. Are the data and wifi connected?

Are you turning off Network Connection only or all connections?

If you turn off Mobile Network Connection and you are still connected to Wifi, you should be able to browse just fine.

Is your Wifi symbol lit up grey or white?
    05-24-10 11:47 AM
    Are you turning off Network Connection only or all connections?

If you turn off Mobile Network Connection and you are still connected to Wifi, you should be able to browse just fine.

Is your Wifi symbol lit up grey or white?
    This is correct. I can turn off my Sprint Mobile Network Connection, and as long as I'm connected to WiFi I still have all my BIS and can browse, email, BBM, etc....
    05-25-10 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD