Ok here is the deal. A few weeks back I bought my wife a Storm 9530 only to find out it had no wifi (I know should have researched). I then added the Blackberry data plan to her phone so she could access the net and facebook. Well I now bought the 9550 which does have wifi and took her phone since I really dont do any mobile phone surfing and what not.
    I called T-Mobile this evening to remove the dataplan ($30 a month) and the rep told me that once the services stop that even though thephone is wifi enabled and I get connection through my own wireles router that she will no longer be able to access the net through her phone and that internet dependant apps such as Facebook will no longer work. I researched a little and found that if you set the browser setting to hotspot you can indeed browse using wifi without a dataplan. Like someone else said in a nother post that if there is bookmarks aet then no matter what she wont be able to access the net so my question is:

1) Why the heck would tmobile gimp a phone (and according to the rep all tmobile phones) that has wifi built in? I mean I see the phopne as a laptop of sorts and using wifi it should gather information from wifi like a laptop and not be blocked by tmobile because the end user doesnt want to pay $30 a month.

2) When I first updated the 9530 and used crackutil to instal the generic service books for tmobile to enamble mms I noticed under browser it had tzones. If I do this again for her phone once the dtapaln is stopped would I be able to use the net? I went under her service books options and removed anything that said browser in it and sure enough the browser tab disappeared in her menu. I then installed Opera Mini and used it and sure enough without using EDGE it used my wifi to connect.
    3) Other than my results in question 2 is there anyway to use freaking wifi on her 9550 with out paying $30 for a darn data plan?

Thanks in advance as any information or work around would be helpful.
    01-26-10 01:36 AM
    Never mind I was playing around with Crackutil and loaded up the generic BB Curve Service books and now I get the hotspot choice under browser. When I turn on my radio antenna and tmobile loads they push down a different service book which then knocks out the hotspot option. i guess once the data plan expires next billing cycle and the phone is blocked from the BIS i will use crack util again to reload the service books. Hopefull once the phone is blocked from the tmobile BIS it should not push any service books to her phone and thus not remove the hotspot option under browser. Ill let you guys know how it go's. Sucks that tmo wants to cripple their customers phone like that even though it isnt their own. i like tmobile because their customer service is the best but I dont want them to turn into a verizon and make their customers require a data plan just to use a certain phone. Big Turn Off IMHO (yeah yeah I know its about making money but jeesh)!
    01-26-10 03:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD