I couldn't find an answer.
    I just switched from Android, and when you turned on Wifi, Cellular Data turns off.
    Does this happen on Blackberry? I have a limited data plan and don't want to over use my data.
    12-28-10 08:34 AM
    I couldn't find an answer.
    I just switched from Android, and when you turned on Wifi, Cellular Data turns off.
    Does this happen on Blackberry? I have a limited data plan and don't want to over use my data.
    If you are talking about now using a BB, the answer is no. Wi-Fi simply takes over the connection to the Internet when you are in range of a Wi-Fi network that you have previously configured on your device. The radio is still functional and allows you to recieve calls while Wi-Fi is connected and active.
    12-28-10 09:25 AM
    That's the beauty of a bb and unlimited data for me. Woo Hoo.
    Phone calls over 3G and data for BBM and internet surfing while you're on a call. I LOVE multitasking!!!!
    12-28-10 09:43 AM
    I think he wants to know if internet data is completely directed to be used on WiFi when on a WiFi network. Cell calls and text messages don't count for data usage. Since he's on a limited data plan, he's just trying to make sure he doesn't go over by staying on WiFi networks.

I believe once you're on a WiFi network, you'll be using only WiFi and not WiFi and 3G data simultaneously.
    12-28-10 09:51 AM
    *If* a wifi connection is available, the device will use that connection for all data use, except those applications that require a network connection (phone, sms, mms, etc). BlackBerry does NOT turn off the network connection automatically when WIFI is enabled.

For the most part, thanks to the way data transmission is compressed over the BlackBerry network, you shouldn't have to worry too much about data usage unless you are using very data-intensive applications, such as streaming media. day-to-day activities such as email transmission, standard web browsing, facebook, twitter, etc, really don't use that much data at all, at least not in my experience...if that helps to put your mind at ease. I rarely go over 100MB in a month, and I use my device quite a bit (but pretty much only stream media when I'm at work or at home, and using WIFI)
    12-28-10 09:56 AM
    *If* a wifi connection is available, the device will use that connection for all data use, except those applications that require a network connection (phone, sms, mms, etc). BlackBerry does NOT turn off the network connection automatically when WIFI is enabled.

For the most part, thanks to the way data transmission is compressed over the BlackBerry network, you shouldn't have to worry too much about data usage unless you are using very data-intensive applications, such as streaming media. day-to-day activities such as email transmission, standard web browsing, facebook, twitter, etc, really don't use that much data at all, at least not in my experience...if that helps to put your mind at ease. I rarely go over 100MB in a month, and I use my device quite a bit (but pretty much only stream media when I'm at work or at home, and using WIFI)
    +1 on the amount of data used ex streaming media. I don't do streaming media and have never gone over the amount of data allowed on the limited data plan; thus, I'm considering downgrading my data plan to the limited one.
    12-28-10 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the responses. I don't use the internet that much while I'm out, and I always have Wifi connected when I'm home so I can download apps or stream music.
    Finding out that data is compressed over the blackberry network, or whatever is good to know.
    Thanks!
    12-28-10 04:27 PM
    I think you can save $15/month with the 150mb/month plan instead of the unlimited data plan on Verizon now.
    12-28-10 06:08 PM
    When you connect to wifi you don't use the 3g data plan, and yes verizon has a 150mb plan for 15 dollars a month. You can track your usage from the phone itself so that you don't go over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD