Hello,

I'm trying to setup the WiFi for my phone for use at my office. Our WEP password is only 8 character long but everytime I try to connect with my BB, it says the WEP key must be 10 or 26 hexadecimal digits, or 5 or 13 characters.

I'm able to connect with my laptop. Is there a setting on the BB I can change to allow me to get on?

Thanks!
    06-09-09 11:33 AM
    Is it possible to have your phone validated through a temporary PIN number through your router setup? That would be even easier. I think it's called a VPN key.
    06-09-09 12:24 PM
    What happens when you put in your 8 characters?
    06-09-09 01:06 PM
    I had a similar problem trying to connect to my home wifi router. My Bold did not accept my wep number. I finally gave up because I thought my router was 3-4 years old and I have 3G, which is pretty fast anyway.
    06-09-09 04:39 PM
    WEP keys are either 5 or 13 characters. It could be that you have a WPA PSK key instead of a WEP key. Try selecting that.
    06-09-09 05:43 PM
    Actually instead of manually adding it, scan for it and it will automatically pick up what kind of key is required.
    06-09-09 05:47 PM
    Interesting. Whenever I need to connect from my laptop/desktop I just type in the 8 character password.

It comes up as WEP security, which is the same that I connect with usually.
    06-09-09 09:51 PM
    Minor Bump...

I did a little research and it appears that the 8 character password was just a series of zeros and ones. I noticed when I typed the "passphrase" into my linksys wireless card setup it would automatically generate a 5 digit hex key.

However, even when I enter in that 5 digit key it won't let me connect. It says "Failed to obtain an IP address". I checked the network info that was saved to my BB and compared to my computer and everything is the same except for the BB MAC address, my computer has a different one obviously.

Is there anything I can do besides bug the IT guy to add my BB MAC address to the router? Is it just not able to connect due to a poor signal?
    06-10-09 08:39 AM
    I think signal strength can be ruled out, if your laptop is able to connect, it should be adequate.

bug the IT guy to add my BB MAC address to the router? ...
    If your IT is using MAC filtering, that would explain the failure to connect.
    06-10-09 02:28 PM
    Again i state the BOLD hates WEP....... it HATES it seriously . change your router to WPA or WPA-PSK .... i run WPA-PSK .... as WEP is OLD and the BOLD hates OLD things....... seriously WEP is for older devices.
    06-10-09 03:45 PM
    Again i state the BOLD hates WEP....... it HATES it seriously . change your router to WPA or WPA-PSK .... i run WPA-PSK .... as WEP is OLD and the BOLD hates OLD things....... seriously WEP is for older devices.
    This explains why my old modem/router with wep didn't work on my Bold. I will probably upgrade to the N router/modem when I get around to it. For now, my 3g works fairly fast.
    06-10-09 04:20 PM
    I have a D-link wifi router, new one like a few months old paid umm 49.99 for it.
    06-10-09 08:54 PM
    I can't really change what network we use here. Besides, I can connect no problem at my apartment and it is also supplied as WEP.
    06-11-09 08:41 AM
    Update:

I talked with the IT guy and he said our password is just a sequence of 0's and 1's. He told me to type in a ten digit sequence and it worked beautifully. The crazy thing is I only use an 8 digit sequence on my desktop/laptop.

Idk, but it was definitely a user error on my part >:|
    06-22-09 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD