(I understand wifi has been a hot topic for the Storm...sorry if this has been addressed in the forum elsewhere...I didn't see it anywhere.)

Spectec currently offers a micro SD wifi card (802.11n), but it is currently only compatible with the windows mobile OS. How difficult would it be to make this compatible for the Storm? Would it just be a matter of creating drivers for the BB OS or are there hardware limitations? Any thoughts from the techies on here?

Seems like it could be a potentially easy solution to the no wifi drawback...of course add-on is not as ideal as built-in wifi, but just having the option would be great.
    10-09-08 06:08 PM
    I don't know if it'll work. I was looking at that as well but it looks like you'd need to have the microsd slot on the outside of the phone as the card looks bigger than a regular microsd. Since the microsd slot on the Storm is under the battery, you wouldn't be able to fit it in there.
    10-09-08 06:20 PM
    I didn't realize the micro SD was under the battery...that's an interesting location. Wonder if that was a condition from Verizon with those wifi cards in mind. VoIP would be a big loss in revenue for Verizon...people would be able to get plans with fewer minutes, be less likely to run over, etc. A lot incentive for Verizon to keep wifi out of these units.

With all the hype around the Storm and the volume of units that are likely to go, I wonder if Spectec or anyone else will consider making a compatible micro SD wifi card. Based on all of the noise about Wifi on here, I think a high proportion of people buying the Storm would make the investment...
    10-09-08 06:48 PM
    I believe one of the reviews showed the micro sd card slot behind the battery door, not the battery; however, the second post is correct--the card will not fit.
    10-09-08 07:00 PM
    I'd imagine even if Spectec could shrink a Wi-Fi card down to the point of being the same size as a regular card, they'd also have to include at least a few Gigs of memory on the thing too.
    The Storm only has a single slot for a memory card, so unless people are planning to store everything they use a Wi-Fi card for via eMail (assuming the built-in memory can handle whatever size downloads you do one-at-a-time),I don't see this as a good option.

Hmm- maybe it's time someone invented a replacement for the battery back cover that includes Wi-Fi and GPS along with two media card slots.
    Oh!, and a built-in bottle-opener. That'd be amazing.
    10-09-08 07:18 PM
    I asked RIM about this when I was developing for the Storm.
    They said they are looking at it.

What they didn't say is that Verizon hates WIFI for some reason. They want you to buy their MIFI product and want to nickle and dime you to death.

-D
    08-04-09 01:11 AM
    I asked RIM about this when I was developing for the Storm.
    They said they are looking at it.

What they didn't say is that Verizon hates WIFI for some reason. They want you to buy their MIFI product and want to nickle and dime you to death.

-D
    Ok, so Verizon wants to push MIFI... So why doesnt any other Storm have wifi then? 9500? Canadian Storm's? Verizon isnt the only one that carries the storm...
    08-04-09 02:21 AM
    verizon has grown up dude, every smartphone after the tour on verizon must have wifi according to verizon so no, verizon doesnt hate the storm, and the mifi is for laptops, and really, how would the mifi help anyone without wifi if it converts a cell signal to wifi?
    08-04-09 02:23 AM
    Holy thread from the grave, batman!
    08-04-09 02:47 AM
    i would deffinately invest on wifi,and not because I dont want to pay Vz for their services but because now days wifi is very much needed and a must so depriving ppl of it kinda sux and make everyone think twice abobut buying a device that doesnt have WIFI
    08-04-09 10:42 AM
    New verizon releases are supposed to have WiFi, so here's hoping for the Storm 2!
    08-04-09 10:46 AM
    i see they have a mirco sd card with wifi.
    06-22-10 01:37 PM
    Holy back from the grave 2.
    06-23-10 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD