I finally got rid of the IT policy on my phone.

The WiFi symbol used to be sort if grayed out when I didn't have a connection o the Internet, but now when I am connected it still is grayed out.

Anyone know why?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 10:25 PM
    Because there is a wifi connection available but you have not set it up yet. set it up and then it will turn white
    08-20-09 10:50 PM
    hmmm no clue about this one
    08-20-09 10:55 PM
    Just delete the wifi connection and then start all over with the setup wizard, when you are done you will be all good
    08-20-09 10:59 PM
    I cannot get messages over the WiFi while the WiFi symbol is grayed out, and this is a problem for me because I do not have cell service where I live. I can still browse the Internet with the BB browser set to use hotspot and all my applications that use the Internet work fine.

I tried deleting and going through the setup wizard, but that didn't chabge anything.

08-21-09 12:15 AM
    08-21-09 12:23 AM
    As I understood it the grayed out wifi symbol means you do not have BIS through your wifi connection. You can still access the internet when you have a grayed out wifi symbol (as long as you are connected to a router). But you won't get messages or other BIS services through the connection.

08-21-09 07:45 AM
    I'm not on a BIS or BES and can confirm that I have WiFi access and my wifi symbol is always "greyed" out...even when i'm connected to my server at home..
    08-21-09 05:01 PM
    The wi-fi logo is always grey as long as wi-fi is enabled on the phone.

Once you connect it to a router the wi-fi network name should show up to next to the carrier's name at the top of the screen.

The network name and a grey wi-fi logo means you can use hotstop browser to browse the internet via wi-fi but that's as far as your wi-fi use goes.

The network name and a white wi-fi logo means that you are connected to BIS via wi-fi so you can browse the internet and use all the BIS stuff via the wi-fi router instead of the mobile network.

If you have a BIS plan then the wi-fi should show white, if you don't have a BIS plan then wi-fi will never show white.

If you go into the manage connections then the wi-fi should show the network name and a green tick if it's connected correctly. Further down service status should show wi-fi as your connection method to BIS.

I know I had an issue with this with Orange UK as did quite a few Bold owners. I called them and asked to be moved to a different RIM relay and it worked instantly with a white wi-fi logo and a wi-fi connection to BIS whenever I'm connected to a network.

Good luck
    08-21-09 07:23 PM
    I have a question. I read in the manual for my 8900 that wifi is only working when the symbol turns green. So I have been thinking about upgrading my os to .250 as I have .199. I read on another forum to upgrade then the wifi symbol will turnn green. Now reading this I think my wifi is working fine because my symbol is white, my router is shown next to the service providor on the home screen and there is a green tick in network options next to my wifi.

So is everything working then? When does the wifi symbol go green?
    10-12-09 02:55 AM
    I have a question. I read in the manual for my 8900 that wifi is only working when the symbol turns green. So I have been thinking about upgrading my os to .250 as I have .199. I read on another forum to upgrade then the wifi symbol will turnn green. Now reading this I think my wifi is working fine because my symbol is white, my router is shown next to the service providor on the home screen and there is a green tick in network options next to my wifi.

So is everything working then? When does the wifi symbol go green?
    Think they mean the green tick...

10-12-09 03:16 AM
    Are you sure? In the 8900 manual it definately has a green wifi symbol and the first day I got my 8900 I'm sure it went on the green wifi symbol, but since then its been white.
    10-12-09 03:38 AM
    Are you sure? In the 8900 manual it definately has a green wifi symbol and the first day I got my 8900 I'm sure it went on the green wifi symbol, but since then its been white.
    Mine's only ever been greyed out or white (when connected)...??

10-12-09 07:01 AM
    The wi-fi logo is always grey as long as wi-fi is enabled on the phone.

Once you connect it to a router the wi-fi network name should show up to next to the carrier's name at the top of the screen.

The network name and a grey wi-fi logo means you can use hotstop browser to browse the internet via wi-fi but that's as far as your wi-fi use goes.

The network name and a white wi-fi logo means that you are connected to BIS via wi-fi so you can browse the internet and use all the BIS stuff via the wi-fi router instead of the mobile network.

If you have a BIS plan then the wi-fi should show white, if you don't have a BIS plan then wi-fi will never show white.

If you go into the manage connections then the wi-fi should show the network name and a green tick if it's connected correctly. Further down service status should show wi-fi as your connection method to BIS.

I know I had an issue with this with Orange UK as did quite a few Bold owners. I called them and asked to be moved to a different RIM relay and it worked instantly with a white wi-fi logo and a wi-fi connection to BIS whenever I'm connected to a network.

Good luck
    ok, for some reason i only get net acsess when wifi is white i can not use bb browser or opera when its grey.I have data plan but no service wher i live so i would like to connect to my router which is open and default (routr name) shows up but wifi is grey .works fine with linksys but not d-link and another dumb question ,what is bis.
    10-29-09 03:13 PM
    Mark-d ...you are 200% right
    11-18-09 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD