I am wondering if when I am out of the US without celluar service, can I use the BB with WiFi only to get email? ( Like I can on, say, an iPod touch or a laptop) or does the BB mail server thing need a cellular connection to work?

What i am getting at is, I want a solution for when the BES servers go down for the 10th time, so that e-mail keeps arriving. If WiFi does not help in this case, then why do people care about WiFi in Blackberrys?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 12:52 PM
    Ther are lots scenerios that WIFI can help or get you info you need.

1. in many basements where cell service not avail, but WIFI might be.
    2. more and more airlines off WIFI service on aircraft, folks can get info required. (there is a steep cost involved I am sure)

Just a couple, I am sure others may post more.
    01-02-10 12:58 PM
    Not to sound rude.. but just so you dont go searching all over your phone.. the tour doesnt have wifi..
    01-02-10 12:58 PM
    Not to sound rude.. but just so you dont go searching all over your phone.. the tour doesnt have wifi..
    OP has a curve not a tour . If the comment was direcrted at me, then I know this. My response was directed at the question about WIFI and a couple of benefits that may come up.
    01-02-10 01:03 PM
    No lastraid, the OP has a Tour, but I am referring to the usefulness of the Tour 2 for example. My question is - in this basement scenario, does the WiFi help you get email through the BES servers or not? If not, how do you get email just using the WiFi (other than logging onto a web site for web-based e-mail) ?

On other phones (Hero, Pre...) which do not rely on BB servers, e-mail over WiFi works a charm...but does this work with BBs or not?
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 01-02-10 at 01:16 PM.
    01-02-10 01:14 PM
    No, I have a Tour, but I am referring to the usefulness of the Tour 2 for example. My question is - in this basement scenario, does the WiFi help you get email through the BES servers or not? If not, how do you get email just using the WiFi (other than logging onto a web site for web-based e-mail) ?

Ah if you have a tour, you may want to change your device you own through the profile options. Says you have a curve

WI-FI will not be able to get BES mail, unless your compnay has web access to it. If they did, there would not be a need to have a BES. As if it is web accessable, and the company allows it, you could use BIS for email.

Now, I am not a BES expert by any means, but I believe when running on a BES, the device talks to the company server though a net connection without RIMs involement, in most cases your carriers connection. So it would a logical thought (to me) that WIFI would be able to deliver BES mail.
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-02-10 at 01:21 PM.
    01-02-10 01:17 PM
    @RonnieNYC

I don't know about the "BB mail server thing" but I use LogicMail to get my email over WiFi without a data plan.
    01-02-10 01:22 PM
    Thanks for the info. Now how about the person who just uses it for their personal (not BES) email, will this work over WiFi? (all BB email comes though BB servers, no?)

01-02-10 01:28 PM
    Yes it does, again it just needs a connection carrier or WIFI and the should work. In this case though, you may want to get a definate answer in the curve or storm 2 forums, as these devices have WIFI and someone there may actually use a wifi method.
    01-02-10 01:51 PM
    Tour 2 coming out with wi-fi?
    01-02-10 01:59 PM
    Xion, yes, Tour 2 has wifi.

01-02-10 02:03 PM
    Tour 2 coming out with wi-fi?
    All future BB's with VZW will have WIFI
    01-02-10 03:00 PM
    Also something usefull about wifi is limited data plans. You can browse and download all you want using wifi.

01-02-10 04:24 PM
    I think I remember reading a post in the Storm 2 forum where there was some debate about not getting email over wifi during the outage because it still had to use the BES , but I (and probably am) could be wrong. I would maybe check the storm 2 forums?
    01-02-10 04:32 PM
    I think I remember reading a post in the Storm 2 forum where there was some debate about not getting email over wifi during the outage because it still had to use the BES , but I (and probably am) could be wrong. I would maybe check the storm 2 forums?
    This is correct. BBM, E-mail, calls, and all other BES utilities will not work through WiFi only. Those items are run through the BES servers and, without a cellular signal transmitting your PIN, you will not be registered with the BES servers.

My Storm2 will not deliver my BBM or E-mails unless I turn the cellular antenna back on. I can surf the internet all I want, but I cannot do (practically) anything else.
    01-02-10 08:55 PM
    So if what Still is saying, this is very lame. All you can do is use the lame browser in case of an outage...no real sue for WiFi on these things then. Unlike the Pre or the Hero which have more useful browsers, and which get email even without cellular service.
    No reason to rush out and get the Tour 2 then, IMO.
    Thanks for the info.

Last edited by ronnienyc; 01-02-10 at 09:51 PM.
    01-02-10 09:16 PM
    No reason to rush out and get the our 2 then, IMO.
    Thanks for the info.

One of the main reasons why I went and purchased the 9630 2 weeks ago. Trackpad would be nice, but other than that.........
    01-02-10 09:36 PM
    So if what Still is saying, this is very lame. All you can do is use the lame browser in case of an outage...no real sue for WiFi on these things then. Unlike the Pre or the Hero which have more useful browsers, and which get email even without cellular service.
    No reason to rush out and get the Tour 2 then, IMO.
    Thanks for the info.

Swing and a miss. You can only use SOME of the browser in an outage.

The bookmarks you save are saved through the BIS servers somehow. Don't ask me how, but when the BIS outage happened last month, I was unable to use my bookmarks and howarmat gave me this info.

If you type the URL directly into the browser it should work through WiFi. Bookmarks will not work in an outage. Sucks, but in situations where the BIS service is up and you don't have service (like in an airport) you can surf the internet.

This is handy in certain circumstances, but generally useless. I have heard that the BIS services (BBM, E-mail, etc) should start working in the future, but there's no ETA on an ETA for when that will happen.
    01-05-10 12:28 AM
    Cant wait til the Tour2 to come out with the wifi so i can use it with the MIFI. Thats going to be a dope combination while im not at home.
    01-05-10 11:39 AM
    Cant wait til the Tour2 to come out with the wifi so i can use it with the MIFI. Thats going to be a dope combination while im not at home.
    Yeah. I heard that the S2 can do MiFi, but I still haven't been able to figure that one out. I don't really need it, but I would still like to know how to use it now, since I have time, instead of when I need it in a crunch.
    01-06-10 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD