Hi folks,

Noob question here... It seems as though Wifi goes to sleep after some time of inactivity, presumably for power savings. After this happens it doesn't seem to auto-awaken when I try to use the web browser, etc. I seem to have to go in to Connections, disable Wifi, and re-enable Wifi in order to again connect to the internet.

So the question is... is this normal on the 8900, and is there any way around it?

My OS is .231

Thanks in advance.
    06-29-09 11:19 PM
    Its not normal. What is the dhcp lease expiration on your router set to?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 12:41 AM
    Good thinking... However I have the BB set to be a DMZ host, so I think it really takes the public IP address and not a DHCP IP on the LAN. In any event, the lease is set to 999 hours.

Any other ideas? That was a good one.
    06-30-09 01:08 AM
    PS... It wasn't working too well behind the firewall, so that's why I made it a DMZ.
    06-30-09 01:11 AM
    OK I don't think it has anything to do with sleep. The 8900 just seems to intermittently lose the WiFi connection. And the problem is on the 8900's side, because my laptop stays connected when the BB loses the connection.

Thoughts?
    06-30-09 10:35 AM
    Have you done a battery pull recently??? Battery Pull: leave device on, pull the battery, leave it out 20 seconds, put the battery back in, wait 2-3 minutes for you device to boot up.
    06-30-09 10:52 AM
    Good thinking... However I have the BB set to be a DMZ host, so I think it really takes the public IP address and not a DHCP IP on the LAN. In any event, the lease is set to 999 hours.

Any other ideas? That was a good one.
    Just how does one set a BB to be a "dmz" host?

Um, of course it needs an IP from the LAN. A device can't "take" the public IP address...

I think you're totally over-thinking this.

You don't need a DMZ for a home network unless you're trying to protect hosts providing specific services etc. Carving out a Dmz for an 8900 is pretty hilarious.

06-30-09 12:19 PM
    Lose the DMZ thing. I don't even know what that is. There's no power loss using WiFi, that's bunk. You turn 'er on and let 'er rip. If the phone gets within range it's on. If not it's "asleep" if you want to think of it that way.
    06-30-09 12:43 PM
    I have the same problem...My wifi keeps switching back and forth from edge to uma and vice versa!! Even though if i have 3 bars on my uma...it will sometimes switch to edge! Its very annoying and my call even drops when this happens as i only get 1 bar on edge in the basement
    06-30-09 09:57 PM
    Just how does one set a BB to be a "dmz" host?

Um, of course it needs an IP from the LAN. A device can't "take" the public IP address...
    One makes the BB a DMZ host very easily. One click on the router configuration page, and done. And, yes, a DMZ host gets a public IP. I could show you the screen shot of my modem's network connections page with "Blackberry Device" and its public IP address, but why bother?

I think you're totally over-thinking this.
    And I'd love for a solution to come about as a result of under-thinking this. So far, no dice.

You don't need a DMZ for a home network unless you're trying to protect hosts providing specific services etc. Carving out a Dmz for an 8900 is pretty hilarious.
    Even more hilarious is that a DMZ does just the opposite of what you describe. It allows a device to bypass firewall/NAT "protection", and it solved my problem of the BB browser failing to connect to the internet. The firewall on my modem was blocking ports apparently required by the BB, and after bypassing it altogether, bingo it worked.
    Last edited by chieftang; 07-01-09 at 03:10 PM.
    07-01-09 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD