So I got my new Bold 9700 today, I couldn't make calls just use the data. Found out my SIM card is 9 years old and thats the problem. a new SIM Card has fixed most of my problems.

I cannot dial out when Wifi is enabled on my phone, I phoned Rogers and they said to just leave Wifi off?. They said that anywhere there is a locked Wifi I won't be able to use my phone, since the phone is trying to dial over wifi?

It doesn't make sense to leave my wifi off to make phone calls.

Does this have to do with UMA?
    11-10-09 06:47 PM
    More than likely. It is different technologies.
    11-10-09 07:04 PM
    doesnt make much sense to have Wifi if you have to leave it off unless you are surfing the net, then you have to go turn it off when you want to use the phone.
    11-10-09 10:06 PM
    sounds like a bull**** to me, I would ask for a new phone.
    11-10-09 10:27 PM
    doesnt make much sense to have Wifi if you have to leave it off unless you are surfing the net, then you have to go turn it off when you want to use the phone.
    Leave wifi off to make calls??? LOL
    I hope that's wrong or there'll be A LOT of returned 9700's in the next 30 days.

My guess would be that changing sim cards requires some type of re-registration. Maybe the routing tables (options > advanced options > host routing table). You should try calling back but ask for Blackberry support instead of the regular customer service.
    11-10-09 10:34 PM
    That's BS as they already said that Rogers does not currently support UMA on the 9700. If I were you, I will send the unit back and get a new one.

As for the sim card, you should've received one along with you 9700. Just call and get them to activate the new sim card for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 11:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies, I did get the new SIM card activated. They reset my email and everything else. Just seems the phone doesn't work with Wifi on in my office. Its fine at my home with the Wifi on. They tell me that while in my office I have to have Wifi turned off to make phone calls as the building has a locked wifi my phone is trying to access.
    11-11-09 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD