I have a quick question.

I'm in another country right now and was wondering if I could avoid roaming charges by using wifi.

If I'm in a wifi area and connected, does blackberry email go through wifi or does it still go through 3G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 04:37 PM
    I believe WIFI takes precedence.. Don't quote me on it, but I believe it uses WIFI if it's on and connected.
    05-27-09 05:11 PM
    Make sure you select the data off while roaming option in manage connection.

05-27-09 05:38 PM
    If I select data off, I get no wifi.

My question was if blackberry actually uses wifi to transmit its data when on.

05-29-09 07:14 PM
    No, not unless you have UMA active, which is not enabled on the Bold.

If you shut down the mobile network, the only application that functions is HotSpot Browser. No calls, no email, no SMS or BBM.
    05-30-09 10:22 AM

If you shut down the mobile network, the only application that functions is HotSpot Browser. No calls, no email, no SMS or BBM.
    That's not necessarilly correct.. If you are on a BES, you can send/receive emails through WIFI while on a BES. Assuming you have the host routing table pre-downloaded.. It works, and works well.

And I havent tested it yet, but I believe Blackberry MVS will allow Cisco Unity WIFI calls. I think I remember hearing that in the meeting.
    05-30-09 04:40 PM

I disagree. I just closed the mobile network on my Bold and enabled WiFi (DSL router). I can send and receive email and BBM with only a WiFi connection under BIS. Phone doesn't work of course.

The only remaining question is how data traffic is routed if both cellular and WiFi are active. I don't have an answer to that one.
    05-30-09 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD