Had my 9930 for few days and wifi signal is horrible compared to my old 9700.

Thought it was my router went and replaced w/2 different DLINK...expeienced same problem.

Got Linksys...same weak wi problem.

Anyone have guess if its hardware or software issue?
    Thinking of turning back getting certified pre-owned 9650
    01-05-12 10:43 AM
    My router puts out seperate signals for B/G and N. If I connect to my B/G my range and signal is much stronger than N. Since I don't download big files on my phone, I just keep it connected to B/G and I don't even add my N.
    01-05-12 10:51 AM
    Compared to the 9700, it is very weak. But I manage
    01-05-12 11:00 AM
    I see from the dozens of comments on the forum, that this is quite obviously a Blackberry problem, but I've had mine for a few weeks now and doubt Vodafone will change it!
    I've been using a clients 8520 Curve since I got my upgrade on my own instrument, so have not even bothered using my 9900. Needless to say, I have had absolutely no wi-fi issues with the 8520 Curve!
    Am I hugely cynical, or do more of us think that this is as a result of a little collusion between the Mobile Phone Service providers and RIM? I bet my Data download costs will shoot up now!!!!
    If I want to look up something when I get a late/early call from my clients (I'm in Shopfitting, which is a 24/7 industry, and I often get call late/early), I HAVE to use the Vodafone network, as my router, which is a huge 10 meters away is absolutely useless!
    Should we not all be taking some sort of co-ordinated action against RIM for manufacturing something that is clearly "Not Fit For Purpose"?
    Any other Vodafone Business users, maybe we should consider a coordinated action against THEM as the supplier, with whom we actually have a contract?
    05-08-12 12:26 PM
    I see from the dozens of comments on the forum, that this is quite obviously a Blackberry problem, but I've had mine for a few weeks now and doubt Vodafone will change it!
    I've been using a clients 8520 Curve since I got my upgrade on my own instrument, so have not even bothered using my 9900. Needless to say, I have had absolutely no wi-fi issues with the 8520 Curve!
    Am I hugely cynical, or do more of us think that this is as a result of a little collusion between the Mobile Phone Service providers and RIM? I bet my Data download costs will shoot up now!!!!
    If I want to look up something when I get a late/early call from my clients (I'm in Shopfitting, which is a 24/7 industry, and I often get call late/early), I HAVE to use the Vodafone network, as my router, which is a huge 10 meters away is absolutely useless!
    Should we not all be taking some sort of co-ordinated action against RIM for manufacturing something that is clearly "Not Fit For Purpose"?
    Any other Vodafone Business users, maybe we should consider a coordinated action against THEM as the supplier, with whom we actually have a contract?
    Maybe it's down to the quality of your routers wireless signal ?

I'm with Vodafone UK with my internet from BT.

I have no problem with my wireless signal from my BT Hub 3.

The router is upstairs and I work from my home office on the ground floor. Signal for both my Laptop and 9900 varies between 4 and 5 bars, and I can still get 2 bars in the garden.
    05-08-12 12:37 PM
    "Maybe it's down to the quality of your routers wireless signal"
    I have my clients curve ".........I have had absolutely no wi-fi issues with the 8520 Curve!
    ........." AND my wife's 'I' phone next to me and the signal is excellent on the Curve and good on the 'I'phone and absolutely NO SIGNAL on my new Bold.
    Maybe BT were in on the deal?
    05-14-12 12:49 PM
    My old 8520 and 9360 WiFi signals just destroys my 9900's WiFi signal. Can't even compare the two. 9900 WiFi antenna is a joke. Not sure if it is a hardware limitation or just crappy manufacturing, have not been happy at all with the WiFi performance from the 99xx.
    05-14-12 01:02 PM
    I haven't had a problem with WiFi range on my 9900, maybe I just got lucky?

JB
    05-14-12 01:37 PM
    It seems there are very many complaints about this, but I have found three of you that are positive, LordCrankypants, Legal Eagle & Ohhh my, but as many of us are limited by contract to our existing Telecom supplier, we cant just change to get a new router, we have to purchase a new one from an independent source. Not much of a comparison, three against many, but do you three positive gentlemen all have the same router perhaps?
    I have upgraded software and unsurprisingly it's made absolutely NO difference. I must admit also to chastising my wife for buying an I phone, but I fear I may be joining her as my Blackberry connection is an embarrasment for me wherever we go, always outperformed by her Apple! They may have had performance troubles in the past, but they've knocked us into a cocked hat with this one.
    I'm afraid I'm very uninformed about how they work, but I'm also having a weird problem, "lossing" all my incoming e-mails?
    I am an independant user, with a Pipex (now Talk Talk) address, and no-one at Vodafone Business Tech help in Southampton near where I live has any idea why I'm able to retain outgoing e-mails, but all incoming ones disappear within a few hours of opening them
    Anybody any ideas about that one?
    Be gentle with me! Please keep it simple if you have a suggestion/solution?
    Thanks in anticipation!
    05-14-12 04:30 PM
    I also have bad wifi range. What kind of firmware are people with bad signal strenght on? Have you tried different firmwares? I use the .391 Rogers Canada firmware and have never tried another one.

My girlfriends 9780 have 3 bars down in the basement where I have 1.
    Last edited by troppan; 05-14-12 at 06:12 PM.
    05-14-12 06:08 PM
    My Wifi range seems decent. I still get some signal on my driveway (a few walls and a hundred feet from the router). However, sometimes I am within 15 feet of my router and I only have 2 or 3 bars. I suspect that perhaps the indicator is not always correct, or my router sometimes has issues.

My BB's speed on Wifi has always seemed limited by the browser and processor, and never by the Wifi speed. I think this has been the case for all my Blackberries since they had Wifi.

It could be down to hardware variation, or it could be something else causing this for some people. Never underestimate your router or router setting as a potential source of problems though. Previous Blackberries of mine had issues on a prior router, whereas all my other devices connected just fine. Replacing the router fixed the Blackberry connection.
    05-15-12 09:54 AM
    My WiFi was good for 6 months and they "poof" went from full bars anywhere in my house to 1 bar 15 feet away and nothing 20 feet away. It seems to be a defect that manifests itself over time. My wife's 9800 is full bars at 20 feet and mine is zero.

It's not an OS issue since I tried .391, .428 and .523...all did the same. It's a hardware defect.

All I can say is that bad WiFi will render my phone virtually useless at work and in my basement at home where my cellular signal is poor. This has left a bitter taste in my mouth.
    06-25-12 10:43 PM
    Oh, I thought I was the unlucky one but now I see lots of people facing the same thing. Mine is a 9900Rogers, it used to work fine and catch wifi Ok, but then suddenly one day it cannot detect my hotspot where it use to be (I have a small house). Other devices no problems. Now I can only use wifi if I'm in my bedroom where I put my router
    I'm with Rogers too. Exactly my situation. Just stopped working one day... signal went from full bars to 1 or nothing.
    06-30-12 07:25 AM
    I will try downgrading to 7.0 to rule out the possibility of a corrupt OS file in 7.1.
    06-30-12 07:33 AM
    Certainly sounds like an issue with the 9700 Wireless Antenna. Not much can be done, as far as I am aware
    07-02-12 09:07 AM
    I've experienced the same thing as Matt and I have Bold 9900 on ATT. Worked great until the last month or two. Playbook, Wii, computers all work on wifi but the phone doesn't work unless I'm right next to the router. Didn't used to be this way so I think its a software issue. Did you have any success reinstalling OS 7.0?
    Last edited by ehs_pro; 09-02-12 at 10:38 PM. Reason: reply to wrong post, removed quote
    09-02-12 10:37 PM
    so like everyone else was quite frustrated with this.

In the advanced options, at the bottom of the menu there's a blackberry device analyzer. click on wifi connection issues.

It will show u possible errors under UMA. I returned like 3 different ones. Anyway, I called tmobile, and it turns out i couldnt access UMA/wifi calling because i didnt have an "e-911" address.

Apparently you cannot use wifi calling without this. basically it just says where police should look for you if you call 911 from you wifi, as gps may not work.

we added it in at tmobile, and voila. one more small thing. after this e-911 thing is done, you need to switch under you mobile network preferences to "wifi calling only" and this should work--you can test whether UMA is working via diagnostics mentioned above. call you voicemail to see if working.

Then you can switch back to "wifi calling preferred" if you want so you can seamlessly go from areas of wifi coverage to areas of mobile network connections.

let me know if you need any clarification--this is my first ever post on a thread for any technical support forum, and i apologize in advance if confusing.
    09-06-12 06:36 PM
    by saying "we added it in at tmobile" i mean that a tech support person added it in while i was talking to her. not sure if there is a way to add this in over the web or something.
    09-06-12 06:42 PM
    I'll throw my hat into the ring. Everything seemed fine with my 9900 wifi, then what seemed out of nowhere my range has been severely degraded. I have to be very close to my router to even pick up the signal. My playbook can pick up wifi all over my house, my 9900 is basically now useless on wifi.

I've tried 2 OS upgrades during the past few months, hoping the issue will resolve itself. So far, no luck.

UPDATE: found this: likely won't try it; I'm under warranty:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rdware-751180/
    12-03-12 11:56 AM
    ok, dont know if anyone still having this issue. I have this problem just now, and I think I found the solution. hopefully it will work for you all too.
    1. go to your router wifi setting.
    2. change your channel setting to other channel than current one. or just try to set it to 1.
    apply change, and see if the quality improve.
    I change mine from 13 to 1. and instantly get full wifi indicator.
    I hope it will work for you guys too.

screenshot
    WiFi Range?-capture.jpg
    Last edited by cuek80; 06-02-13 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add screenshot
    06-02-13 01:10 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD