I just got a blackberry curve 8320 from Tmobile and i connected the wifi...found my home network name...put in the passcode and connected...it says the name of my network on my homescreen then says WIFI in the corner with a red circle and three red lines near it and UMA...does that mean the wifi is working?? just throwing me off because its red lol which usually means not connected...

thanks!
    04-16-09 08:44 PM
    Yup! Sounds like you are good to go! I am assuming it is really dark pink, and not red. The T Mobile signal on my 8900 is the same as you describe, but just in more of a pink and not necessarily red.
    04-16-09 08:46 PM
    Thank you! lol i was just making sure.....do you know what the blue arrows randomly showing up in the top right corner are? I know its something about transmissions but i have sent nothing and i have nothing coming in so i have no idea what they are about....thanks again! I appreciate it.
    04-16-09 09:16 PM
    Those are data communication arrows. It should actually serve as a sort of "comfort" signal letting you know that you are indeed in sync with your router or wireless connection, as well as any data transmissions--incoming or outgoing.
    04-16-09 09:19 PM
    Thanks so much! this is my only phone in my house so I was kind of worried...thanks for the information..I appreciate it so much have a great night!
    04-16-09 09:33 PM
    Hey, no prob! That's what Crackberry is for... enjoy that awesome BB!
    04-16-09 09:34 PM
    UMA stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access. When you are making calls under this mode you are actually making calls via your wireless router (not over your mobile network). I have t-mobile and not much signal at my house(dropped close to 50 percent of calls). I purchased the curve so I can make UMA calls and have not had an issue since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 09:41 PM
    Hi-one more question that I forgot last night....and am curious...when my phone is in my house...using the wifi network so i get service...when its connected to my wifi...does that use more battery life than normal or no? bc if so..i mean, i cant turn the wifi off all night since i need to hear my phone..so i was curious as to if it uses more battery power while on wifi for service? Thanks again!
    04-17-09 07:36 AM
    Hi-one more question that I forgot last night....and am curious...when my phone is in my house...using the wifi network so i get service...when its connected to my wifi...does that use more battery life than normal or no? bc if so..i mean, i cant turn the wifi off all night since i need to hear my phone..so i was curious as to if it uses more battery power while on wifi for service? Thanks again!
    I leave my wifi on all the time, unless I am headed out of town and am not sure if I will find a wireless signal at my destination. The wifi does not tax the battery as much as you would think, in fact I don't notice a difference at all in battery life while using wifi.

However, if the BB is constantly seeking for a wireless connection, and is unable to find one you would probably notice more of a battery drain. Basically, you can be rest assured that leaving your BB on UMA constantly and throughout the night will not cause a problem. Enjoy!
    04-17-09 08:12 AM
    I must be incredibly annoying, however, this is my only phone and its new! lol...last night i charged it for three hours until the light stopped blinking and it was fully charged....i used it for a little bit last night....and this morning one bar of battery was gone..which was normal bc i was bb messaging a lot last night..but this morning, i have not made one phone call....it has been sitting in the case on the couch all morning and when i just went to look at it, the next bar was already starting to fade???? at this rate, it will probably be down to one bar by 2night...why is the one bar already fading when it has not even been used today-not even to do anything! And i dont want to keep it plugged in at home because I think that would kill it right? I am just confused and frustrated, because tmobile has been total jerks. Thanks again!
    04-18-09 10:28 AM
    It is normal for it use power, even when in standby mode.

The technology in our batteries is very advanced, you will not hurt it by topping up the charge regularly.

Over the course of the batteries lifetime, it will take a smaller charge, but it is built with a large capacity to accommodate that.
    04-18-09 11:21 AM
    I must be incredibly annoying, however, this is my only phone and its new! lol...last night i charged it for three hours until the light stopped blinking and it was fully charged....i used it for a little bit last night....and this morning one bar of battery was gone..which was normal bc i was bb messaging a lot last night..but this morning, i have not made one phone call....it has been sitting in the case on the couch all morning and when i just went to look at it, the next bar was already starting to fade???? at this rate, it will probably be down to one bar by 2night...why is the one bar already fading when it has not even been used today-not even to do anything! And i dont want to keep it plugged in at home because I think that would kill it right? I am just confused and frustrated, because tmobile has been total jerks. Thanks again!
    You are definitely not annoying by asking questions on Crackberry. Inevitably someone else will have the same question and after searching will learn from your experience.

One important point that is often misunderstood is the idea that the BB battery will be harmed by constantly charging it. Actually, these newer Lion batteries do better when they are constantly "topped off." Therefore, while you are home, or at your computer, or even over night, go ahead and keep it on the charger. Once it is fully charged it will stop charging anyway.

You also need to be sure you are closing out any programs you are using during the day by clicking on the menu button and then scrolling down to "close." Leaving programs open in the background will definitely drain your battery. There are only a few programs you cannot close such as messages, phone, browser, phone log, and BB Messenger.
    04-18-09 06:23 PM
    Thank you so much! I appreciate it!
    04-21-09 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD