Hi guys quick question from a 1st time blackberry user. How do I know when my 9700 is using wifi and not my network data plan.

I just got a wireless router and searched for my network, clicked connect, entered my PSK password and connected.

The wifi icon is bright white now and above my mobile providers name it says stephen's network. I take it that means I'm connected okay as in wifi options it also shows a green tick.

My question is, does the bold automatically use wifi for internet use or will it still use my mobile cell provider.?

Anyway to have it use wifi by default? Or does it do this anyway. Thanks for any help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 09:59 AM
    Hi there, from my experience, it automatically chooses WiFi over the provider's data.

If the WiFi icon is white and black, then it is using WiFi, when it is grey it is on but not connected.

03-26-10 10:13 AM
    If your that concerned, you can turn off your mobile network connection but you wont receive phone calls, but all data including BBM will work.
    03-26-10 10:16 AM
    Thanks guys for the info
    03-26-10 10:43 AM
    If you're an Orange UK user and your phone is a branded Orange UK phone then you should also be able to get by default UMA when connected to Wi-Fi.

Does your network indicator still say GPRS / 3G or does it say UMA?

The easiest way to tell is to go to manage connections and select service status. It will tell you how you are connected for Mobile Phone and to BIS. If you're connected successfully via Wi-Fi then it will say Wi-Fi next to BIS and you know your data is going through your router rather than the mobile network.
    03-26-10 10:52 AM
    Mobile network options. If you select wifi preferred...when in range of a wifi connection you have set up, your 9700 will use that over your mobile network connection. Vice versa if you have it set to mobile network preferred. Keep in mind, you need to be in range and have the wifi setup on your phone for it to work.

03-26-10 12:24 PM
    OK. I am confused. I have the Bold 9650. If I turn the wi-fi on and make mobile network preferred (can I do that?) will it switch back and forth depending on where I am?
    Since I have never had the experience of losing my mobile network, why would I need the wifi?
    06-10-10 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD