I know one of the big issues with having wifi in blackberries' particularly cdma is battery drain. My question is on the wifi enabled berries can you shut off the wifi radio? Like through manage connections?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 09:19 AM
    yep! just a tick box to turn wifi on or off.
    05-22-09 09:24 AM
    The purpose of Wifi on BlackBerry is to enable Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA).

I have exactly the opposite situation. I live in a 1 bar fringe zone. When I have an EDGE connection, my battery discharges much faster then when I have UMA service.

That is because the cellular radio increases it power consumption to be heard at the tower.

When UMA is active, the network is idle, battery life is great.
    05-22-09 01:15 PM
    The purpose of Wifi on BlackBerry is to enable Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA).

I have exactly the opposite situation. I live in a 1 bar fringe zone. When I have an EDGE connection, my battery discharges much faster then when I have UMA service.

That is because the cellular radio increases it power consumption to be heard at the tower.

When UMA is active, the network is idle, battery life is great.
    +1 on Reed's post here.

Even with a full 5 bars of 3G where I work, the battery life is no comparison to what I get while connected to Wi-Fi all day.
    05-22-09 01:43 PM
    I noticed a difference in battery life when I switched over to a Wi-Fi device.
    05-22-09 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD