So I just got the 9650 today and I went through and did the whole set up. Got my contacts synced through out, got both my emails going and register in bbm. The one problem I'm having is when I went to set up the wifi for when I'm in my house it recognized it right away, but on the home screen the wifi symbol is greyed out and I've gotten a message saying that the device is unable to locate the IP address. I've gone through all the settings and stuff with my brother who has a curve and there is nothing different. Does anyone know whats going on?
    07-13-10 10:45 PM
    This gray icon means that your smartphone is connected to a Wi-Fi network but does not have access to Blackberry services over the Wi-Fi connection.

Are you positive that your SSID and Password/Key are correct? Are you using MAC address filtering? If so, you need to add the MAC address of your BB to the list of allowed devices. Have you tried reseting the router? I have seen a suggestion some place that said when this happens you should try deleting your current WiFi setup then turn off your "Mobile Network" connection. Then try setting up the WiFi connection again. Of course don't forget to turn your "Mobile Network" back on after you do this.

Let us know how you make out.
    07-14-10 08:49 AM
    I believe the gray "Wi-Fi" means that it is not connected to a network, it turnds white when connected.

When setting up, did you respond yes to a question about allways connecting to an available network? It may be that it is waiting for you to tell it to connect.
    07-14-10 09:13 AM
    07-14-10 09:27 AM
    I'm assuming its a problem with my verizon wifi connecting because i can scan for other unprotected networks and it connects and shows the name above the time on the home screen as well as having wifi go white, so i know the wifi itself can work. Any suggestions?
    07-14-10 10:48 AM
    I use to have to open my browser ~ BB button ~ options ~ browser configuration ~ and change browser to hotspot. I would then close my browser and reopen it. It would then be connected to wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 10:57 AM
    Check to make sure that you have entered your WEP Encryption key properly with your home network. If you're using FiOS the key should be on your wireless modem. Once you do that you shouldn't have to change any settings in your Browser to make your WiFi work. If you've entered everything properly and saved it as a WiFi Profile it should work for you every time.
    07-14-10 11:21 AM
    The verbage for the gray Wi-Fi is missleading. If that is correct, then my berry is permanently connected to some Wi-Fi network because it is gray anytime I am not at my home and connected to my home network. Therefore, I believe that what it really means is that it is not connected to a Wi-Fi network when the icon is gray.
    07-14-10 11:43 AM
    I use to have to open my browser ~ BB button ~ options ~ browser configuration ~ and change browser to hotspot. I would then close my browser and reopen it. It would then be connected to wifi.

I do not have to change my browser to hotspot. My radio is off and browser works fine on Wi-Fi. I do have to go into Manage Connections and go to Wi-Fi Options and click on the appropriate profile. Once the profile name pops up on my home screen, there is a short delay before the Wi-Fi icon changes from gray to white. There has been a time or two when I have had to go back into Manage Connections, un-check the Wi-Fi network and then turn it back on.
    07-14-10 11:44 AM
    I do not have to change my browser to hotspot. My radio is off and browser works fine on Wi-Fi. I do have to go into Manage Connections and go to Wi-Fi Options and click on the appropriate profile. Once the profile name pops up on my home screen, there is a short delay before the Wi-Fi icon changes from gray to white. There has been a time or two when I have had to go back into Manage Connections, un-check the Wi-Fi network and then turn it back on.
    I simply walk into my house and the Wi-Fi connects all by itself.

It may be that this is because I only have one network defined.
    07-14-10 12:34 PM
    I can confirm it works fine with more than one one network defined. I switch between home and work every day.

To the OP, did you try any of the steps below?

Are you positive that your SSID and Password/Key are correct? Are you using MAC address filtering? If so, you need to add the MAC address of your BB to the list of allowed devices. Have you tried reseting the router? I have seen a suggestion some place that said when this happens you should try deleting your current WiFi setup then turn off your "Mobile Network" connection. Then try setting up the WiFi connection again. Of course don't forget to turn your "Mobile Network" back on after you do this.
    07-14-10 01:02 PM
    I simply walk into my house and the Wi-Fi connects all by itself.

I've got 6 Wi-Fi profiles. As long as I don't switch the profile, it will reconnect automatically when I am back in range.

07-14-10 01:14 PM
    It would automatically to everyone but home. It would say home but be gray. It doesn't do it anymore, but at first I HAD to do hotspot.

07-14-10 02:17 PM
    The "grey" WIFI icon (but still show network name on screen) often means that your device hasn't picked up an IP address from your router. First thing I'd do would be to reset the router, and then try and connect again see if that fixes it.
    07-14-10 02:24 PM
    Its something between your router and your phone. Could be the router needs a firmware update, could be the network security setup is wrong somewhere, could be that the router and the phone don't get along.

Since the phone works on other networks as you said its not simply a phone wifi problem.

07-14-10 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD