am leaving the country tomorrow me and myy bb and the rst of the family i have the wifi 8320 am curious to know if i use it over a wifi network while am over seas will i get charged roaming still has anyone tried this or know a definite answer on it????
    07-07-08 10:46 PM
    I kinda remember reading if you get on uma overseas it tricks tmobile and it will be a regular uma call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 10:52 PM
    Do not take my word on this...

I have heard calling over UMA is not charged as international calling. (but be SURE you are on UMA for the call)

Also, browsing over WiFi should be FREE anywhere, obviously
    07-07-08 10:55 PM
    This sounds like a big enough issue to call them directly and ask. Get the answer in writing. Some tech may give you bad info as they often do. You do not want to assume and them return to a $600 roaming fee. I don't think that international is covered anyway.
    07-07-08 11:23 PM
    Also, I have called TMobile before, inquiring about roaming charges while on a cruise. The tech told me I would not get roaming in certain areas... etc. I asked her to make a note on my account in writing... so if I would happen to accrue charges, they would remove them.
    07-07-08 11:30 PM
    Okay, since this was the reason I bought my 8320, here is the deal. When you are connected to UMA outside of the country you will not be charged roaming for the minutes used. Trust me, I have clocked over 10,000 minutes this way. The thing I do to ensure I am connected via UMA is to connect to wifi, the go to manage connection and turn off the mobile network (just remember to turn it back on later). From expererience, it depends on the country whether or not you even see the minutes on your statement. Other advice, always travel with a travel wireless adapter. Oh yeah, T-mobile will "officially" say that they do not support UMA outside the country because they cannot log the IP and figure ouit where you are.

07-07-08 11:41 PM
    Okay, since this was the reason I bought my 8320, here is the deal. When you are connected to UMA outside of the country you will not be charged roaming for the minutes used. Trust me, I have clocked over 10,000 minutes this way. The thing I do to ensure I am connected via UMA is to connect to wifi, the go to manage connection and turn off the mobile network (just remember to turn it back on later). From expererience, it depends on the country whether or not you even see the minutes on your statement. Other advice, always travel with a travel wireless adapter. Oh yeah, T-mobile will "officially" say that they do not support UMA outside the country because they cannot log the IP and figure ouit where you are.

Good to know. So it I where to carry, say, an Apple Airport Express and hook it up in the hotel and buy the internet for my room that would work? Just making sure that I understand what you are saying.
    Amazon.com: Apple Airport Express: Electronics
    07-08-08 12:07 AM
    Good to know.
    07-08-08 12:13 AM
    Good to know. So it I where to carry, say, an Apple Airport Express and hook it up in the hotel and buy the internet for my room that would work? Just making sure that I understand what you are saying.
    Amazon.com: Apple Airport Express: Electronics
    That should work absolutely fine!!
    07-08-08 12:14 AM

that was the best info i have heard all day am going to rack up minute over wi-fi thanks t-mobile lol ill definitely remeber to turn of the mobile network........
    07-08-08 12:18 AM
    But, the calling over UMA still counts against your minutes, unless you have Hotspot@Home. It does not mean the minutes are free... they are just not charged as international calls.
    07-08-08 12:20 AM
    Great info here!! Thanks!
    07-08-08 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD