Is it better for your bold 9700 wifi to be on or off? And does it drain ur battery?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 10:52 AM
    I leave mine on all the time, the battery drain is trivial.

When you have a weak carrier signal, your connection has to run at high power, that will drain a battery quickly. Wifi with UMA support eliminates that power consumption, as long as you are in a Wifi Hotspot.

If you have a strong carrier signal, you won't notice much difference.
    04-10-10 10:57 AM
    wifi always drains your battery..
    but there's a 3th party app that make wifi automatically on or off at hotspot areas...
    04-10-10 11:03 AM
    I agree with the above about it being on vs off causing a minimal drain difference BUT you certainly will notice a data speed difference when using WiFi vs a 3g network. I never used it much myself until a few months back when I hopped on a hotspot for grins. Now if I am stationary I always do a scan to see if I can use a WiFi connection.

04-10-10 11:08 AM
    How do I set my wifi up?

04-10-10 11:54 AM
    That depends. Most places like hospitals, restaurants and car dealerships have an open system where it is as simple as enabling WiFi, doing a manual network scan and following the prompts to connect. Others have an open system but the first time you connect you will be directed to a website to accept a usage agreement upon connection. Lastly is security. Most use WEP so you enter a passcode when connecting. The passcode is maintained by the router/hotspot/access point administrator.

04-10-10 12:51 PM
    Wifi helps my battery. 3G is worse in my opinion.

04-10-10 12:52 PM
    3G is more of a battery hog, especially if you have a weak 3G signal. A weak wifi signal can also drain your battery fast to, this has been the case with all of my phones.
    04-10-10 01:00 PM
    It will If its active. If its not connected to a signal I don't see much of a difference.
    04-10-10 01:03 PM
    Some days i leave wifi on and use it all day and some days it's off and i honestly cannot tell any difference in battery life. If there is a difference it is very minimal, in my case anyways.
    04-10-10 01:04 PM
    I keep it on all the time. You never know when you will be somewhere and find free wifi to use.
    04-10-10 04:37 PM
    Ok ima try to set this up now....and is it possible to just auto come on?

04-10-10 06:18 PM
    It tellin me I need a wep code I knw what the wep code means but does thus mean everytime I wanna use wifi I have to connect to the network with the passcode not automatically

04-10-10 06:21 PM
    when Im at home I connect to my DSL router with wifi, and yes, if its on and connected it is most def a battery drain
    04-10-10 07:26 PM
    Mine's never been turned off...don't worry about it and leave it on 365/24/7.
    04-10-10 07:37 PM
    When I am at home and have a great edge signal I leave my wifi on all day, battery drain is minimal. Same as running with a good 3G signal. A weak 2G or 3G signal will drain my battery much faster.

If you save a network and its WEP code, the the next time you want to connect to it just turn on wIfi and wait a minute. Enjoy!

04-10-10 07:44 PM
    What bout when ur out? Can u see the speed differnce?

04-10-10 08:37 PM
    The reality behind the battery drain always falls down on usage. If you use it a lot, your battery will drain fast, with or without wi-fi. If you know you're going to be away from a familiar wifi connection for a long time, then turn it off. Same with GPS. Unless you use it frequently, just turn it off.

With average use of my blackberry, I pull up to 2 days with wifi on.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-11-10 07:05 AM
    I'm thinkn bout setting my wifi up from home might as well give it a shot! Lol wish me luck!

04-11-10 07:41 AM
    I have mine on all the time and I am a pretty heavy data guy and still get 2-3 days before a charge.

04-11-10 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD