hi all,

i have the Blackberry Bold and formerly 8800 before that. once of the main things that attracted me to the Bold was wifi, as i surf pretty much all the time. my girlfriend has the Curve 8320.

anyways I am using Bold in conjunction with my Edimax BR-6215srg router.

i have read all the how to wifi guide but am still running into difficulties with mine and gf's phones. what is happening for me is that on first wi-fi connection setup 'via scan for networks' option it goes through all fine and i can connect to my ssid and browse with hotspot browser and browse no more than half dozen to a dozen pages..... before it will bring up the "communication failure has occurred..." or "unable to service request" on the 8320.

i can sometimes leave it for a few mins then go click back on a link and the new page will load, so it's possibly a dropping signal issue.

i have done the site survey scan to see what channel other routers in my street are running. i found one router to be using same channel as mine so changed it, but still same issues as above. browse for a limited number of pages then the error.

have even turned off security so it's completely open, but still the same happens. oh and have also done firmware upgrade for the router and that was no help either.

i was using wpa personal key. not tried wep as i don't like the idea of having to set all those different encryption passwords or can you use the same one?

also i notice when the wifi is connected i never get a tick, as per you see by mobile network on. is this a concern? i know when it's working by the fact i see fast rapid movement data sent/received arrows.

i am in the uk on orange, so any uk users reading i would be grateful to know what router you are using and it's configuration settings.

btw an typing this over wifi on my laptop which is always fine. the wifi issue on the bold and 8320 is all that causes a problem with mine and my gf's handsets, so would really appreciate some help on a resolution.

i am running the latest OS too btw of .150

thanks in advance.
    09-28-08 10:10 AM
    Edimax BR-6215SRg - PC Advisor

Edimax BR-6215SRg

Edimax is one of those Taiwanese hardware companies that makes a bewildering array of networking products. Admittedly, many models are only slightly differentiated from their neighbours, but the odds are that Edimax makes something that precisely matches your needs.

At first glance, this is a fairly standard 802.11g wireless router, with the usual four fast ethernet switched ports in a neat enclosure. It's a router so it probably works best in conjunction with a cable broadband connection, although you can make it work with an existing ADSL router.
    Your router meets the basic specs needed to support a Wifi connected BlackBerry.

The fact that you can connect and use it rules out gross compatibility issues, but the fact that is fails on two devices does raise a concern.

I can tell you, the LinkSys WRT54G router works correctly all the time with both of my Wifi BlackBerry devices.

In order to troubleshoot your connection problem, reset the router to factory defaults. That will likely give you an open connection on channel 6.

If you are unable to stay connected, try changing only the channel. The channel allocations that are least subject to interference are 1 and 11. In addition to SSID broadcasting routers, you must be aware of other 2.4 GHz users like portable telephones. They do not show up in a site survey, but they do cause interference.

If you still can not stay connected, I would suggest trying it with a LinkSys router. Your local retailer may allow you to connect for testing purposes.

Good luck, let us know how that works out.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-28-08 at 12:38 PM.
    09-28-08 12:35 PM
    thanks for your help. am going to try the channel thing changing them one by one. if it does not may just bite the bullet and get the linksys router as can get them cheap enough on ebay. thanks again.
    09-28-08 01:07 PM
    After I wrote that post, an idea occured to me.

The best way to rule out interference from your neighbours, try it very early in the morning.
    09-28-08 02:58 PM
    The Airport Expess works very nicely as well But is limited to p to Ten Pc's or BBerrys or what ever at a time. I use one in the hotel to get faster service, or should i say more reliable service with Wifi..
    09-28-08 03:34 PM
    am going to try early in the am and see also. thanks for that suggestion.

@KBon thanks for the tip too.
    09-28-08 03:52 PM
    never got round to testing yet and am aware with work till the weekend so will try again when back home. cheers!
    09-30-08 05:14 AM
    hi guys. just to report back nothing seemed to work so i purchased a new linksys router and all is fine now.....well nearly fine. i can browse all i want but wi-fi is still grey not white. what do i need to do so it allows for send and receive over wifi for email? ie. access to blackberry services over wifi.
    10-06-08 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD