have the 9700...can someone give a clear explanation when the wifi logo is white, what does that mean? same goes for gray. best explanation get 10 points.
    01-22-10 07:44 PM
    White means it's connected to your router and has a connection to the internet.

Gray means WiFi is turned on but is not connected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 07:47 PM
    It can be grey or white when you're connected. If it's white, you are connected through BIS. If it's grey you can be connected but not through BIS. Check your manage connections to see the connection status when grey.
    01-22-10 08:18 PM
    Not trying to start an argument or anything. Just want to be sure...

I gave my brother my old BlackBerry but he doesn't have the BlackBerry data plan but still let's it connect to WiFi. His icon is white, but how can he be connected to BIS without a BlackBerry plan??

01-22-10 08:23 PM
    By the way , I never looked at his connection status to see what it said tho.

01-22-10 08:24 PM
    Oh you are on gsm so it may be different. Do you use UMA or something? I'm on Verizon with cdma so ours is a little bit simpler. You have more options than we do. I would check his manage connections.

01-22-10 08:27 PM
    I wish we had the 9700 on Verizon

01-22-10 08:28 PM
    Yep GSM. I think he does use UMA.
    Next time I see him I'll check it out, just got me curious now

01-22-10 08:29 PM
    Sorry but a lot of these answers are just wrong. I have found the WiFi logo is greyed out at some sites and not at others. It's not because of how your Berry is set up. It's most likely due either to incompatible setup of the WiFi router, or else low signal power. I had this happen today where in the afternoon at a public WiFi site (with numerous channels), the logo was grayed out and it did not seem to be using the WiFi (although you can't tell for sure without additional tests) and brought it home, signed on to my own WiFi and it went right to white and was clearly 3-4x faster. I'll keep looking on these forums for a clearer technical answer to what seems to be a very common problem.
    04-14-10 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD