SOOO I am a broke college student who can't believe my dad just bought me a 8320 curve.. ( Brand new off craigslist) ... my BB 8100 circuit board went out!! I am on a fam plan and my parents will not get internet on my phone (and i understand)....
    so i was wondering is there anyway i can get internet when i am connected to a wifi with out purchasing anything from T-mobile? i am willing to download stuff or modify it... I just am not sure how it works.. i have a router in my room up here at school... if anyone knows, please let me know

or if there is a application (like a mapquest or phonebook) that will work with only a wifi connection and no purchased internet...

thanks
    Holly Jo
    11-01-08 06:25 PM
    You will need t-Mobile to add the BlackBerry enabler package, but even then the limitations that are placed on the wifi and the apps that can/cannot use will be frustrating
    11-01-08 08:50 PM
    dose that package cost?
    11-01-08 08:55 PM
    I think I'm only paying like 19.95 for unlimited internet.
    11-01-08 11:29 PM
    In theory you can browse on wifi without even having a sim card in the phone. So you should be able to browse on wi-fi without a data plan (or charges)...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 12:41 AM
    I bought a 8220 and don't have a data plan (yet). Open wi-fi works. You just have to change the a setting not to use the carrier's network for wi-fi.
    11-05-08 10:17 AM
    i think i know what lovedana wanted from her cerve. if im not mistaken she want something like tzone hake like there is a programe for iphone you just pay only minimum rate plan like 4.99 and u get unlimited access thats called hake like my bro got it for his iphone. well im trying to findout my self too but no success yet. i will let every one know here if i come through anything lik that.
    11-18-08 07:10 PM
    DD and Prley are both correct!

I have been using my BB wifi for free since I bought it.

I have "wifi preferred" selected in wifi setup.

I go on any open hotspot, my own home net, and since I have ATT dsl any startbucks for free wifi.

I do however pay for a pp simcard for voice calls. My average monthly cost is $6.00.
    11-27-08 09:04 AM
    You will need t-Mobile to add the BlackBerry enabler package, but even then the limitations that are placed on the wifi and the apps that can/cannot use will be frustrating
    I have no such enabler on my BB and have been using free wifi for a long time.

With the BB software update, I can now watch you tube videos where before I couldn't. But I was always able to surf even with the old OS.
    11-27-08 09:07 AM
    I'm looking at getting 8320 on Orange in UK, and reading this forum, I am confused.

Are you saying that I can pop my Orange pay as you go SIM into the device and use as a phone, but get free wifi in hotspots such as Starbucks if I configure the device correctly?

Many thanks!
    12-21-08 07:16 AM
    PRECISELY!!! Been doing that since day one. Never bought a plan ever!

Just a pp sim, then every year ebay for the refill at a steep discount with electronic delivery.

Any open hotspot and if you have access to your own or another net same deal. Free wifi.

I'm looking at getting 8320 on Orange in UK, and reading this forum, I am confused.

Are you saying that I can pop my Orange pay as you go SIM into the device and use as a phone, but get free wifi in hotspots such as Starbucks if I configure the device correctly?

Many thanks!
    12-21-08 08:17 AM
    Ebay for the refill?
    What refill? I have a sim which I top up as I choose. Is that ok?
    12-21-08 08:28 AM
    Ebay for the refill?
    What refill? I have a sim which I top up as I choose. Is that ok?
    Yes, same deal,but you would probably get the same amount of time for less money on the bay.

Last time I paid $92.00 for a $100 sim refill(top up) from ebay.
    12-21-08 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD