On my torch so far with wifi on alot while at home my battery seems to be about the same as when its off. BBM groups killed my battery so i stopeed doing those. Also ate up my data plan which is why i use wifi now when possible to make sure data doesnt get gobbled up. is wifi only a problem when out and about and its searching for new wifi connections or what? I hear alot of people and reviews say to turn wifi off as it is a top battery killer.
    10-21-10 07:28 AM
    Only leave Wifi on when in an area that has Wifi. Leaving it on when not will cause the device to search for a connection at certain intervals causing battery drain. Also, I recommend setting the WiFi to never sleep when it is on. Doing this will allow the WiFi to always have a connection without it timing out. When it times out (phone goes standby or device is not in use after a certain amount of time) it causes you to reconnect again causing some battery drain.

WiFi actually saves battery when you are connected. The Cell radio uses more battery when it is connected to both the voice and data networks than when it is just connected to voice and you have WiFi for data.
    10-21-10 07:32 AM
    Also, I recommend setting the WiFi to never sleep when it is on. Doing this will allow the WiFi to always have a connection without it timing out. When it times out (phone goes standby or device is not in use after a certain amount of time) it causes you to reconnect again causing some battery drain.
    Interesting. I've never seen that option

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-10 07:45 AM
    Interesting. I've never seen that option

I don't have a BB on hand but I know it can be done. It may have to use a third-party app but if I remember correctly it is in the settings. I do not have an OS 6 device though. Unless OS 6 make it never sleep while on?
    10-21-10 07:48 AM
    WIFI can actually save your battery a bit...if you have it connected (at least in my experience). What can drain the battery is searching for networks when you don't have an active WIFI connection. This seems to be pretty negligible if it's only for short periods of time, but I usually turn the WIFI off if I'm traveling and know I won't be using it for an extended period of time. Otherwise, I always leave it on since I have a WIFI connection at both my home and office, so I'm connected most of the day anyway.

I don't know anything about sleep modes...maybe that's just an OS 6 setting, or simply something I've never used? I certainly don't see any settings like that on my Storm's WIFI settings. There are 3rd party apps you can use for greater automated control of WIFI, but I've never used any of them.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 10-21-10 at 08:06 AM.
    10-21-10 08:03 AM
    I don't know anything about sleep modes...maybe that's just an OS 6 setting, or simply something I've never used?
    I'm not sure. Android has this setting and it is awesome because it just keeps you connected to wifi no matter how long you do not touch your device. I know when I had my 9700 and 9000 that after not using the device for a certain amount of time it would disconnect from wifi, and then reconnect when I started using the device again. Does OS 6 keep it running still if you don't touch the device for a while? If so, then you are all set.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that a member had an app that had set wifi locations so it would only search if it was close to a known wifi hotspot.
    10-21-10 08:08 AM
    Ah jeez, its not android, its BB I figured that option didn't exist

10-21-10 08:13 AM
    I'm not sure. Android has this setting and it is awesome because it just keeps you connected to wifi no matter how long you do not touch your device. I know when I had my 9700 and 9000 that after not using the device for a certain amount of time it would disconnect from wifi, and then reconnect when I started using the device again. Does OS 6 keep it running still if you don't touch the device for a while? If so, then you are all set.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that a member had an app that had set wifi locations so it would only search if it was close to a known wifi hotspot.
    I'm pretty sure it stays connected all the time once connected. I know on mine if i've connected and then left the phone for 3+ hours and come back to it..it's still showing it's connected and will instantly launch the web browser when I use it.
    10-21-10 08:13 AM
    Yeah, it doesn't turn off wifi when the backlight turns off haha

10-21-10 08:14 AM
    interseting about sleep for wifi but i dont see it anywhere on os6.
    10-21-10 08:15 AM
    Ah jeez, its not android, its BB I figured that option didn't exist

See I thought that option would exist being that BB prides itself on efficiency. At least there are third-party apps that do this.
    10-21-10 08:15 AM
    I'm pretty sure it stays connected all the time once connected. I know on mine if i've connected and then left the phone for 3+ hours and come back to it..it's still showing it's connected and will instantly launch the web browser when I use it.
    That is good than. My 9000 and 9700 would always disconnect after a certain amount of time if I didn't use the device.
    10-21-10 08:16 AM
    That is good than. My 9000 and 9700 would always disconnect after a certain amount of time if I didn't use the device.
    I'm gonna call bull, haha. Diggin deeper My 9700 has never ever done that. 5.0 didn't do it. And for the record, even though its been stated multiple times, in this thread even, wifi is better for your battery, therefore being more efficient. If it kept on disconnecting it would rely on the radio which uses more battery. Get it?

10-21-10 08:23 AM
    I'm gonna call bull, haha. Diggin deeper My 9700 has never ever done that. 5.0 didn't do it. And for the record, even though its been stated multiple times, in this thread even, wifi is better for your battery, therefore being more efficient. If it kept on disconnecting it would rely on the radio which uses more battery. Get it?

Get what, that you are getting defensive over nothing? I owned a 9000 for almost 2 years and the 9700 (5 different ones as well) for a month before returning it, I know what i am talking about. Call bull all you want, I am just sharing the experience I had with Wifi on BB devices. No need to be rude.

I know Wifi is more efficient I was the first one in this thread to say it, and the first one to say the cell radio uses more battery when connected to the data network. Maybe there is something you don't get?
    10-21-10 08:29 AM
    Nope. You stated that bbs had a sleep feature for wifi. *cough* droid haha. Sorry, just a funny read this early in the morning

10-21-10 08:34 AM
    Nope. You stated that bbs had a sleep feature for wifi. *cough* droid haha. Sorry, just a funny read this early in the morning

Yes because I thought maybe OS 6 would have the option. I said if I remember correctly the OS did (4.7-5.0). I just recommended doing so if it wasn't already set that way. I said I know third-party apps can do it. Do you not read my posts correctly because I own an Android device? I see you like to make it obvious that I do own one with your sarcastic remarks. I was just trying to help the OP.
    10-21-10 08:38 AM
    Yes because I thought maybe OS 6 would have the option. I never said it did. I just recommended doing so if it wasn't already set that way. I said I know third-party apps can do it, not the OS itself. Do you not read my posts correctly because I own an Android device? I see you like to make it obvious that I do own one with your sarcastic remarks. I was just trying to help the OP.
    I'm on my torch, I don't see your signature. This is the torch forum, which runs os6. Nothing personal, I just like to keep my info legit

10-21-10 08:40 AM
    I'm on my torch, I don't see your signature. This is the torch forum, which runs os6. Nothing personal, I just like to keep my info legit

Exactly why I said "Unless OS 6 make it never sleep while on?". I did not know if it was standard with OS 6. I was just recommending the feature in general, because other mobile platforms (and my prior experience with WiFi BBs) will make the wifi sleep if it is not in use after a certain amount of time.
    10-21-10 08:45 AM
    I've been using S4BB's SmartWiFi on my Torch. After running 1 week with it, I find about a 10% to 15% increase iin battery life on a charge. Food for thought...

10-21-10 11:03 AM
    Do you not read my posts correctly because I own an Android device? I see you like to make it obvious that I do own one with your sarcastic remarks. I was just trying to help the OP.
    then why are you even commenting? this is a TORCH thread. go to the droid thread if you want to talk Droid. I guess YOU can't read. you caused unnecessary drama in this thread. no one else was defensive but you.
    10-21-10 02:26 PM
    I too am using S4BB's SmartWifi and have been very impressed. For $4.99 seems like a solid app. I only connect to wifi in a few places and for example, at work I 100% cannot, so no reason to have it searching here.
    10-21-10 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD