So, I've had BB through work for many years now, but never really dug into the niceties of it. I now have an 8900 that I picked up this weekend for my personal use to replace my WM6 phone.

I'm trying to grasp the WiFi concept. From what I know, I have ATT with unlimited everything for data and internet. I have many internet sites that I frequent and things seem to be running smoothly. But as I scroll through the menus and the configuration of this newly found crack that is the 8900, I see the WiFi setup.

Is this for using in my house on my WiFi home network? Is it for the net? for the phone? I've read some threads about VOIP, but if I'm on a call, and I leave my house, does the call drop?

Can somebody explain the WiFi function of the 8900 in plain english, since I'm no IT guy? Thanks.
    07-27-09 09:54 AM
    anywhere there is WIFI, whether it be at home using your router or a facility that offers free WIFI, you can use your phone to connect to it to surf the net. On TMO you can also make uma calls when connected.
    07-27-09 10:00 AM
    anywhere there is WIFI, whether it be at home using your router or a facility that offers free WIFI, you can use your phone to connect to it to surf the net. On TMO you can also make uma calls when connected.
    Does it automatically switch between EDGE and WiFi when it sees a connection it recognizes? Does that happen in the background, or do I have to continually interface with it?
    07-27-09 10:12 AM
    Does it automatically switch between EDGE and WiFi when it sees a connection it recognizes? Does that happen in the background, or do I have to continually interface with it?
    Go to the Manage Connection icon and then go to wifi options then switch wifi selection mode from manuel to automatic, once you do this whenever you in a place that has wifi your phone should pick it up..... That's what my bold does, sometimes I have to scan for a connection but when it picks one up its usually a locked connection, I'm pretty new at this just trying to help out, if I'm wrong somebody please correct me, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 10:23 AM
    Go to the Manage Connection icon and then go to wifi options then switch wifi selection mode from manuel to automatic, once you do this whenever you in a place that has wifi your phone should pick it up..... That's what my bold does, sometimes I have to scan for a connection but when it picks one up its usually a locked connection, I'm pretty new at this just trying to help out, if I'm wrong somebody please correct me, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    thanks,
    that actually helped me too haha
    07-27-09 11:54 AM
    I had a co-worker tell me to watch out for the wifi "automatic" function as it was a "battery suck" on his bold when it couldn't find a connection but was always scanning. Any problems reported for this with the 8900?
    07-27-09 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD