Okay, here's my first post in Crackberry World and I'm just trying to iron some things out.

I had a Pearl 8100 with T-Mobile and my wife's company migrated from T-Mobile to AT&T. Long story-short, I am the lucky recipient of a fairly new Curve 8320. I did not have a data plan with T-Mobile, so I have been surfing with Wifi whenever I'm at home or in a hotspot. I'm splitting time with Opera and Bolt and I like/dislike things about both. I cant wait until Bolt gets out of beta, though.

Now to the problem. When I received this Curve, it still had all kinds of corporate and VPN stuff loaded on it from my wife's company. Knowing I had no data plan and no intentions on purchasing one, I wiped all data and did a complete software restore with my BB desktop manager. I'm currently running v4.5.0.81 (Platform 2.7.0.78)

Only thing is, I now have no BB Internet Browser, at lease the icon or any way to access it. Like I mentioned, I am doing good running Bolt and Opera, but there are certain places on the web I go to that seem to require the BB Browser, such as downloading files, watching vids on YouTube, or just about anything that requires flash. When I go to such places, the BB Browser attempts to open and the I get the "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Please contact your service provider to enable this Browser on your device."

I have searched all over the forums and have seen fixes for this occurrence, but not for those who have only wifi and no data. I can confirm that there appear to be absolutely no entries in my service books for Blackberry Browser that I can find, everything in TCP is blank, and there are no options available in "Default Browser Configuration" under "Browser" in advanced settings.

I guess my question is, can the BB Browser be activated and function over wifi when I do not have a data plan with T-Moblie? Will calling customer support lead me nowhere because I'm not a data plan customer? Also is there any way to do an email push with Gmail if I'm only on wifi?

I have CrackUtil if that helps with anything.

I really just want to be able to run flash apps if that is possible and have the ability to download files using opera or bolt without the phone trying to take me through a BB Browser that does not function.

I know this is a lengthy post and I apologize if this answer is available elsewhere, I've just got to figure this out.

Thank you so very much for the help!

Philip
    07-18-09 10:05 AM
    Not sure if this will work or not, Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table, Enter, Menu > Register Now

It works for me when I have the same problem but I have a data plan.
    07-18-09 10:19 AM
    I tried it.

It says "Registration Message Sent".

I'm not convinced that it will do any good since I'm not a data customer.

How long until you receive some kind of response or results?

Thank you,

Philip
    07-18-09 10:25 AM
    I have 8330 BB. I rec'd a notification of a new email via a 1 "led yellow light". I do not have any new messages? I have not set my BB device to hide filed message or changed anything in my profile options. How do I get rid of this yellow notification ?? Thanks!
    07-18-09 10:31 AM
    I tried it.

It says "Registration Message Sent".

I'm not convinced that it will do any good since I'm not a data customer.

How long until you receive some kind of response or results?

Thank you,

Philip
    It is nearly instant, but it does require the correct data connections.

There are several Browser included with your BlackBerry. The Internet Browser will only work when you have BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

In your case, your Browser choice should be the Hotspot Browser.

there are no options available in "Default Browser Configuration" under "Browser" in advanced settings. ...
    I am confused, when you open the setting page, you should see Hotspot Browser as the only available choice.

I guess my question is, can the BB Browser be activated and function over wifi when I do not have a data plan with T-Moblie? ...
    No. Only the Hotspot Browser can be used without a data plan.

Will calling customer support lead me nowhere because I'm not a data plan customer? ...
    No. The CSR work from scripts that concentrate first on the network and second on the device connection to the network. Everything else is hardware and beyond their scope.

Also is there any way to do an email push with Gmail if I'm only on wifi? ...
    No. Gmail on your Hotspot Browser require you to do the mail check. Combined with Google's iGoogle home screen, it is quite serviceable, but not pushed.

I really just want to be able to run flash apps ...
    Nobody is running Adobe Flash, there are technical reason why it will not scale to the mobile device screen.

In order to view YouTube, you must use the mobile optimized site:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (m.youtube.com)

Selecting a video, from your Hotspot Browser, will open Media Player and stream the content to your device. One consideration you will be aware of quickly, the streamed content is the size of a postage stamp. It is scaled to work correctly with the least common denominator, a non-smart phone display.

07-18-09 10:58 AM
    Thanks for all the great input Reed.

I get no response or reply from the "Registration Message Sent", but that does make since if I don't have a data plan.

Odd as it may seem, I have no Hotspot Browser choice whatsoever in the "browser" options in "advanced options", I can't even attempt to change the selection. I do see it in the service book, (Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser), and it reads 'active'.

When I try a video from the mobile YouTube link you sent, It ties to invoke the BB Browser again and follows with the same message again: "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Please contact your service provider to enable this Browser on your device."

I wonder if I wiped out something in the data wipe, or maybe this phone had something different about it since it was originally a corporate device.

Thanks again for all the great input!

Philip
    07-18-09 12:20 PM
    Got the solution..!! Here is how I got my 8900 to work with wi-fi without Data Plan with AT&T

1) Download Opera Mini and install it on your blackberry. (I downloaded it from my computer and transferred it to BB. After installing Opera Mini, it has to connect to Opera website once to "I accept/I decline" agreement, so your phone will be charged for ~10KB of data in your Pay as you go data plan)
    2) Call ATT and ask them to Block all your Data. This way you wont accidentally connect to ATT EDGE network
    3) Go to Settings>Mobile Network>Data Services=ON (confirm this)
    4) Now Opera should work fine. Note that Blackberry browser wont work as it will still try to connect through EDGE network.

PS: There are some places where you have to choose your default browser as HotSpot Browser instead of MediaNet.

3 days of tweaking and it finally worked..!! Still No BES, No IM, No application....just Opera works..will update more on this...
    07-18-09 12:33 PM
    Go to this link and install these service books. They will not only turn your wifi browser back on, but will also enable browsing over gprs data if you have a generic data plan. To install them you go into Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager then click on Advanced Options. On your BB go into Advanced Options, Service Books on your phone. Hold down the ALT key (the one used for numbers) and type SBEB. You will then get a popup message saying that "Legacy Service Book Mode has been enabled." Click the trackball to say ok. Now go back to Desktop Manager and on the left side of the screen load the file you download from the link below. It will say Service Book with 4 records. Highlight this and click the arrow pointing toward the databases. Desktop Manager will then confirm you want to write 4 service book records to the device. After it is done you will see 4 service book entries on your device. If you ever change the sim you have to do this again most likley as service books are deleted upon sim change (the idea is that the new carrier will push the required books to your device). You can also use free pushmail service from Shangmail-Cell phone mailbox, mobile phone e-mail, take with you freely with these service books installed.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    Last edited by jackbox; 07-18-09 at 01:00 PM.
    07-18-09 12:55 PM
    Thank you so much for that!
    I was successful in getting the BB Browser back on my device. But now I run into a new problem, either when I go straight to the BB browser and try a link or if the other browsers try to invoke the BB Browser, I get this: 'Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider'.
    Is this because I'm not on a data plan and this is the standard BB Browser trying to connect to a T-Mobile server?
    If I go into the Advanced Options>Browser, the only option is browser.
    If I go into General properties within the BB Browser options, the only choice for Default Browser is 'Browser'. There is no wifi browser choice.
    Form my service book, I can see Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser, and it is active.

I just cant seem to get the BB Browser going in wifi. I must be missing something.

Thanks,
    Philip
    07-19-09 10:20 AM
    Are you sure you have an 8320 and not an 8310? 8310s have a GPS but no WiFi. If you unit had wifi in Options>Advanced Options>Broswer you would be able to select "Hot Spot Browser" with those service books installed. If you don't have any data plan at all you cannot use the one labeled just "Broswer." If you had a regular data plan but not BIS, you would be able to go into Options>Advanced Options>TCP and enter TMOs APN to get gprs/edge working without a service book for internet. Since the Hotspot Broswer option is not available I suspect you have an 8310 which doesn't have WiFi capability.

If you have an 8320 did you do a battery pull. Often a battery pull is required after messing around with service books to get stuff working. As long as you don't remove the sim a battery pull should not affect the service books you installed (unless TMO is sneaky and removes them). Normally an 8320 always has service books for the Hotspot browser. The fact they were missing is suspicious that something wierd is going on.

I was successful in getting the BB Browser back on my device. But now I run into a new problem, either when I go straight to the BB browser and try a link or if the other browsers try to invoke the BB Browser, I get this: 'Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider'.
    Is this because I'm not on a data plan and this is the standard BB Browser trying to connect to a T-Mobile server?
    If I go into General properties within the BB Browser options, the only choice for Default Browser is 'Browser'. There is no wifi browser choice.

I just cant seem to get the BB Browser going in wifi. I must be missing something.

Thanks,
    Philip
    Last edited by jackbox; 07-19-09 at 10:29 AM.
    07-19-09 10:27 AM
    I think you may be on to something.

I can verify with 100% assurance that this is an 8320. I'm actually surfing just fine with Opera Mini and Bolt 1.04. I can see the wifi log on to my home wireless router and I have been able to connect and surf on many public wifis.

I did a battery pull with no luck, and left the SIM in. "Browser" is the only available selection in the BB Browser general options.

There are no entries in Options>Advanced Options>TCP. Should I attempt to enter something there?

Thanks,

Philip
    07-19-09 11:54 AM

Thanks,
    Philip
    I get this unable to connect message sumtimes, I wasn't able to download google maps from m.google. Otherwise I navigate into yahoo, myspace, ebay etc just fine.. I'm using att with no data plan (i turn network radio off every time I go wifi.
    07-19-09 03:28 PM
    If you have a bookmark the browser will use the type of browser the bookmark is set for regardless of what type is set. See if there is a bookmark for Google Mobile and delete it. Otherwise trick it by going to another search engine such as Bing and searching for Google Mail. If you click on another link, rather than type in an address, it won't switch browser type.
    07-19-09 08:11 PM
    hey Jackbox, i am currently using TH-DTAC service for my mobile phone and my device is BlackBerry Storm 9530 ... i know that AIS have data service but for DTAC it has not. And one more thing is that i want to connect to internet using my school Wi-Fi and without buying a data plan (EDGE service) ,,, is there a way for that.???
    08-21-09 03:21 AM
    hey Jackbox, i am currently using TH-DTAC service for my mobile phone and my device is BlackBerry Storm 9530 ... i know that AIS have data service but for DTAC it has not. And one more thing is that i want to connect to internet using my school Wi-Fi and without buying a data plan (EDGE service) ,,, is there a way for that.???
    Your Storm 9530 does not support Wifi, there is no way to add it on to the hardware. You should be able to use Voice and SMS text, just like any other phone.

08-21-09 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD