Hi guys,

I'm new to BB as I am planning to purchase the curve 8520 from pay-as-you-go (Orange in the UK). But I've had some questions that none of the sales people seem to be able to answer.

In a couple of months I will leaving the UK for Poland and as far as I know, there are no data plans offered in Poland as of yet. I don't want to throw my BB in the trash, so can you let me know if:

1. I can access Wifi Spots around the world WITHOUT a Data plan?
    2. BBM works WITHOUT a data plan?

If I need a data plan to access wifi (as I've seen on certain forums) or will get charged for it, then I think buying the curve 8520 will be pointless.

Can anyone help me?!?! Please!!!

Thanks
    01-08-10 02:47 AM
    No, you don't need data plan to access wi-fi and yes you need data plan in order to use BBM
    I don't have data plan
    01-08-10 04:55 AM
    Keep in mind that some App (in special those written by RIM) will require BIS (Blackberry Internet Service, aka data plan) to work.

There are alternatives, MSN, Gmail and pretty much all IMing can go through Nimbuzz, and so on. You just gonna search right.

No BBM for you thou.
    01-08-10 07:16 AM
    ...1. I can access Wifi Spots around the world WITHOUT a Data plan?
    2. BBM works WITHOUT a data plan?...
    1) it would need the wifi service book. Some devices have it out-of-the-box while others get it pushed to them upon activation. Either way, if you do not have the wifi service book you will not be able to connect to wifi (I had that problem with my 9700 last month).

2) no BIS plan, no BBM... sorry.
    01-08-10 07:29 AM
    I recently did the same thing, buying a BB 8520 from Orange then leaving the country, my experience so far is...

1) wifi works for browsing the internet you need to set the browser to hotspot browsing and turn of data while roaming but leave the data setting to on.

2) My BBM works through wifi, but I believe you have to have a BB data plan back home on the orange network, or at least be registered.

Hope that helps.
    01-08-10 12:46 PM
    Thanks for all of your posts guys, they really helped! I also went into an Orange store and they told me pretty much the same (finally I got some answers from a phone store :P).

I'll be buying my BB today
    01-10-10 04:36 AM
    Dont doo that unless u r planning to take a data plan....with plan its an excellent phone...
    01-12-10 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD