I just purchased a Blackberry 8520 as an extra phone for a second home. This phone will be left at the house and used by people that have a data plan and those that have just talk and text. I understand the phone will know what is available by what SIM card is in place. My question is: How do I use wifi with the "talk and text SIM card". This area has a very weak talk signal and I want to capture this signal from the router. I am only looking to use the router signal for talk and text, not internet for that specific SIM card. Is this possible to use the 8520 in wifi without a data plan? Please help. Thank you.
    06-13-10 09:26 AM
    You can use Wi-Fi without a data plan, but many apps will not work over Wi-Fi (same for generic data plans).

Using Wi-Fi for talk... do you mean UMA? You gotta check with your carrier if they support it. As far as I know, the 8520 is UMA able, so if they have it, you'll see UMA replace edge/gprs when you connect to the hotspot.
    06-13-10 09:40 AM
    Yes I am looking for UMA but it will not work for some odd reason. I have tried to set my connection preference to wifi prefered but still no UMA connection. The wifi icon in the top right hand corner looks greyed out. I have been led to believe that the icon should be white.
    06-13-10 06:20 PM
    Just to let you know............ 1. Turn Router off. 2. Turn phone off. 3. Remove battery from phone. 4. Power up Router. 5. Replace phone battery. 6. Power up phone. 7. It worked..........all is well with the world.
    06-13-10 07:06 PM
    i have tried everthing but wifi seems not to work. I do not have data plan. Any advise
    06-13-10 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD