I am looking to get my wife a Blackberry for Mother's Day. I currently have one on our corporate account with Verizon, we also have our personal service with Verizon. I have visited with Verizon and T Mobile (her best friend has T Mobile) to look at Blackberry service options for the wife and I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone here can answer.

1. Are there any other carriers I should consider?

2. Is there anyway to get a better deal than talking to the folks in the store?

3. She is due for an upgrade, but the Verizon guy didn't have a different deal than the new service deal and I didn't ask. I remembered after I left.

Anything I am missing in looking to switch to a Blackberry?

Thanks guys.
    05-09-09 09:43 AM
    1. Tmobile and verizon are excellent choices.
    2. Usually if you call the carrier of choice and ***** they will lower the cost. Make sure you look under the forums of carriers bc you can usually find the latest deal or tips and tricks getting a good deal.
    3.You can usually get a cheap upgrade. Remeber you can negociate prices with phones and sometimes services. Threaten to switch carriers and a lot of things will change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 10:37 AM
    1. Tmobile and verizon are excellent choices.
    2. Usually if you call the carrier of choice and ***** they will lower the cost. Make sure you look under the forums of carriers bc you can usually find the latest deal or tips and tricks getting a good deal.
    3.You can usually get a cheap upgrade. Remeber you can negociate prices with phones and sometimes services. Threaten to switch carriers and a lot of things will change.

Thanks Sara!

I am going to get on the phone today and make some calls. She is not set on a Blackberry and there are a lot of options out there right now in phones as well as carriers.
    05-09-09 10:56 AM
    Definately consider T-Mobile. I love t-Mobile, and I always have signal. Even in areas where all my friends don't have signal, I usually have 1-3 bars. T-Mobile+BlackBerry=Match made in Heaven.
    05-09-09 10:58 AM
    t mobile also has the curve 8900 which is awesome. verizon is due to pick up the tour in july, but that's a bit of a wait.
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 05-10-09 at 07:16 PM.
    05-09-09 12:54 PM
    go with sprint you will save so much with the everything data plans. And as far as T-mobile, dont get it if you live in the south, cause i know people who couldn't get signals in the capital city.
    05-09-09 12:58 PM
    t mobile also has the curve 8900 which is an awesome. verizon is due to pick up the tour in july, but that's a bit of a wait.
    Yup, the 8900 is really awesome! I couldn't be more satisfied with mine.
    05-09-09 12:59 PM
    Thanks all, I appreciate the help.
    05-09-09 01:11 PM
    I love AT&T and couldn't be happier. The Bold is one of the best BBs; IMO... allows for simultaneous voice and data w/o being on wifi.
    05-09-09 01:16 PM
    Sometimes there are corporate discounts as well.

You or your wife may qualify for discounts on the phones and plans with a provider based on where you work if your workplace has a corporate discount with the carrier.

Sometimes the savings is substantial (20 - 30%).
    05-09-09 01:57 PM
    I have tmobile and love it. I always have service and have been all over the country and need service. I want a 8900 for the WiFi calling option but I do not want to fork out the cash. But you can get a pearl for cheap right now and you can use this site to upgrade to the 4.5 os. I did and now I can't put my blackberry down.

05-09-09 02:16 PM
    I'd consider AT&T. Where I live (So. Cal), their service is on par with Verizon's, but the plans are cheaper. Everyone I've spoken to with T-Mobile has had a hard time getting good reception in even some of the most urban areas. The only qualm I have with them is Customer Service, (why I'm leaving them right now, actually) but if you can deal without that they get great reception for an almost-reasonable price.
    05-09-09 02:21 PM
    I say go with Verizon. I have been very happy with their service for a long time. My suggestion would be to check online because they sometimes have better deals than at the stores. Good luck!

05-09-09 06:22 PM
    I love AT&T and couldn't be happier. The Bold is one of the best BBs; IMO... allows for simultaneous voice and data w/o being on wifi.
    Same. Bold is the best BB!
    05-09-09 07:54 PM
    I have the pink pearl with at&t and I LOVE it. However the other day, we were out of town shopping and stopped at a T-mobile store where they showed me the 8900 and I fell in LOVE. I am definitely looking forward to the 8900 coming to at&t. So if you are thinking T-mobile, I would reccomend the 8900
    05-09-09 10:33 PM
    take a family plan. should be cheaper than individual plans..

i have at&t and i'm absolutely happy with them. had no prob. so far.

the company i work for used to have at&t but switched to verizon, since then the call quality went down a lot.. poor signal and poor quality. i wouldn't take verizon at all.

t-mobile has a great deal with the pick your 5. call them as long as u want to in any network for free.. thats great.. i dont know about there signal quality never used t-mobile yet.
    05-09-09 10:54 PM
    Another vote for AT&T and the bold 3G and AT&T has recently picked up some of AllTel that verizon had to give up and they are adding and upgrading towers to prepare for the new iphone so everybody wins!!

05-09-09 11:05 PM
    agreed

can't go wrong with a bold and at&t finally got their sh*t together. better knock on wood now.
    05-10-09 12:04 AM
    i say yes deff. get her one
    but the choice would be what kind of blackberry would she want
    and I love vzw for so many reasons but the decisions up to what berry,whats the best service
    05-10-09 02:28 AM
    Im using Verizon on my BlackBerry 8330 up in Massachusetts and I can honestly say that I can not remember ever having a problem with their service whatsoever. If I'm spending a few extra dollars a month for that luxury, so be it. To be honest, there have been a couple circumstances where I've had friends on other networks ask to borrow my phone because they weren't receiving a signal in a few specific locations...

ALB
    05-10-09 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD