Bought a new AT&T 8900 yesterday, without adding the data plan, and so far am unable to connect to my local area network.
    My husband bought an 8900 a week ago, with the data plan, and he has had no problem connecting to our Wi-Fi.

It was our understanding that it is possible to connect to a Wi-Fi or ATT hot spot without purchasing a data plan.

So, is it a plot to sell data plans or is do I have a problem with this particular Blackberry?

Any input will be helpful.
    08-23-09 11:51 AM
    You need the service books (you can search here for the AT&T service books). When you get those on your device you will not have an issue with WiFi. As far as the ATT Hot spot, I believe you have to have the data plan.
    08-23-09 12:07 PM
    AT&T Hot Spot (AT&T Wi-Fi) is provided free of charge if you have AT&T as your ISP. AT&T Wi-Fi Basic service

Starbucks is one place that will charge for use of Wi-Fi if you are not an AT&T Internet subscriber or do not have a registered Starbucks Rewards card. I never tried Wi-Fi at Starbucks with my Blackberry (I do have a data plan, though). I use the Wi-Fi at Starbucks all the time with my laptop. AT&T is my ISP.
    Last edited by lak611; 08-26-09 at 11:10 AM.
    08-26-09 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD