Hey guys!!

I'm actually ON a road trip as we speak... with my laptop in a room with wifi *yay*

Because I'm in the US (I'm from Canada)
    I turned "data services: off when roaming"

my wifi is turned on - but seems to be grey (despite me clearly being on a wifi network so... its right here)

any suggestions!? haha - hopefully fast ones as I dont' know when I'll get net again

thanks!!
    07-09-09 09:57 PM
    there's your problem..on rogers for wifi to work, you need to have a data plan and data services have to be "on"...

to get free data over wifi though..just set your connection preference to 'wifi only' under mobile network options...you probably dont need the mobile network anyways if you wanna prevent long distance charges...and if you have uma you can use it to call back home for free anyways.

although i wouldnt quote me on that one..since i made a thread about this the other day and apparently rogers blocks uma outside of canada. But the data should work.
    07-10-09 12:28 PM
    there's your problem..on rogers for wifi to work, you need to have a data plan and data services have to be "on"...

to get free data over wifi though..just set your connection preference to 'wifi only' under mobile network options...you probably dont need the mobile network anyways if you wanna prevent long distance charges...and if you have uma you can use it to call back home for free anyways.

although i wouldnt quote me on that one..since i made a thread about this the other day and apparently rogers blocks uma outside of canada. But the data should work.
    9000 does not have UMA capabilities.

To use WiFi, data services have to be on. Unfortunately this opens the way to be charged for any Roaming BIS use. To prevent charges, simply turn off Mobile Network while using data. This forces connectivity through your Hotspot connection.
    Last edited by synwars; 07-10-09 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Oops clerical error...UMA
    07-10-09 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD