Greets fellow addicts,

I'm a newly addicted convert, before I started working at RIM I thought the whole BB thing was "much ado about nothing"... and a waste of money! Well, no surprise - now I'm hooked and even become a pusher - proclaiming the amazing freedom of being hooked

Anyway, my question is regarding how to determine which service my data is using when both Wi-Fi & Mobile Network are active - if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate your guidance!

I've been manually switching off the Mobile Network when within a Wi-Fi signal for the past 5 months and have established a very consistent data usage of 1.5mb/month from my mobile provider. This month I have decided to leave the Mobile Network on while withing Wi-Fi in order to determine if the device prioritizes Wi-Fi when available. I'll post my finding once I get my February statement with usage stats!

Peace!
    RocMon..
    02-12-08 08:56 AM
    I to manualy turn my mobile network off when on wifi since i use my phone out of the country alot. it scares me that it may hop on gsm and charge me roaming.
    02-12-08 11:02 PM
    Couple things you can do here. The first is to set which data connection your prefer.

Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options

There you can set your connection preference. Mine is set to Wi-Fi Preferred but you can set it to Mobile Network only or mobile network preferred or wifi only.

Also, when you go to Manage Connections, click on Services Status. From here you can see which connection type you are currently using.

As for your roaming, again you do have an option. Under Manage Connection > Mobile Network Options you will find Data Services. You can change this to Off When Roaming.
    Last edited by sunkast; 02-12-08 at 11:16 PM.
    02-12-08 11:13 PM
    Can you elaborate on the Manage Connections ->Mobile Network Options (connection preference) - I don't see any setting for Wi-Fi here... while Wi-Fi connected, in "My Preferred Network List" I see 4 entries, as follows;
    1. Rogers Wireless 302/720
    2. AT&T 310/410
    3. AT&T 310/150
    4. AT&T 310/380

I see an option to add, but when it scans it only provides a Rogers Wireless and no Wi-Fi entry to pick.

(this may be due to me running v4.3 - anyone know if this makes a difference in setting preferences)

thanks!
    02-13-08 08:55 AM
    I think you are looking in "Set up wifi." I am talking about Manage Connections. The icon looks like a tripod with rings around the top portion.
    02-13-08 01:01 PM
    Right, I am looking in that location... as I outlined the menu path... and there is not place to set preferred.

Under [Manage Connections]->[Services Status] I do get a breakdown of the current connection type for voice, BIS and BES (etc) which switch from Mobile Network to Wi-Fi when I approach and lock into a Wi-Fi signal... so it looks like my unit is using Wi-Fi first if available...

... thanks for leading me to this v.good status
    02-13-08 01:25 PM
    Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options

There you can set your connection preference. Mine is set to Wi-Fi Preferred but you can set it to Mobile Network only or mobile network preferred or wifi only.
    Under Mobile Network Options, not Services Status.
    02-13-08 01:49 PM
    If I may, where'd you get 4.3? Or are you referring to the DM?
    02-13-08 01:54 PM
    Referring to the DM.
    02-13-08 02:05 PM
    Thanks, Darn I was hoping that wasn't what was meant!! Sure want it (4.3 or 4.5 whatever they decide to finally brand it). On a side note, The pics of the 8330 (CDMA Curve) show the screen shots and it has 4.3, so maybe it is right around the corner, as T-Mo reps have speculated it will be within the next few weeks, to stay tuned).
    02-13-08 02:27 PM
    Actually, not disk manager - I'm running a pre-release of build 4.3 (it has video camera app and various other cool additions).
    This may explain the difference in options from what sunkast described... sorry, v.new to BB so not quite sure what the options look like under 4.2...

To sum up, I think this build will by default (as I can't find options to set) prefer Wi-Fi over Mobile Network when available.

I will let you know how this nets out on my invoice at the end of the month!
    Last edited by rocmon; 02-14-08 at 09:00 AM.
    02-14-08 05:56 AM
    Might be a feature of 4.3 as I have seen others complaining of the same thing on their new 8120's that come with 4.3 installed. They too complain that there was no selection setting. I hope when the official release comes outthe feature is there (but am not holding my breath for such a change), just want 4.3 (or 4.5 if that is what they want to officially call it).
    02-14-08 09:04 AM
    Well, I must say I'm impressed... after reviewing last month's rogers bill my usage has revealed the WiFi is definitely used when available!

I love my BB!
    03-13-08 07:37 AM

Also, when you go to Manage Connections, click on Services Status. From here you can see which connection type you are currently using.
    sorry to throw this thread off subject, but i just realized where it says
    BlackBerry Internet Service
    connection: it says not connected.

i find that weird cuz i kno i pay for it monthly. should i be worried. everything works fine...
    03-13-08 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD