This is a thread for all those people out there who have. Bold 9000 without a data plan. This thread will explain how to use your wi-fi and how not to get data charges.
    10-18-09 01:06 AM
    First of all I use att. You are able to call the att customer service and have them turn off data for your Blackberry 9000. This is how you can be sure you are only using wi-fi. On the Blackberry phone you must make sure under Mobile Network in Options your dat Services are turned ON. Otherwise you will not be able to obtain an IP adress when trying to connect to a wi-fi network. The phone came with a helpful wi-fi setup application that is pretty self explanitory. Feel free to post any questions you have.
    10-18-09 01:11 AM
    could you repeat that?
    10-18-09 01:38 AM
    uhhhhhh.......this has been covered a million times, nothing new. maybe you should look around in the, well i dunno....the Bold forum? not to mention, you start a thread stating "This thread will explain how to use your wi-fi and how not to get data charges." yet i see no explaining.....way to go.
    10-18-09 04:05 AM
    Both of ya'll do not even have a bold...and I am not sure if this works on the 8900 or tour
    10-18-09 12:35 PM
    By the way this forum is specifically for Blackberry Bold users who are on AT&T without a data plan.
    10-18-09 12:38 PM
    Might note that as of September 6, you can no longer call AT&T and remove the data plan from a smartphone. If this was done prior to Sept 6, then all is well.
    10-18-09 12:49 PM
    If you give them the IMEI of a non-smartphone will they remove the data?
    10-18-09 02:24 PM
    yes. But as soon as you put the SIM in a phone with an IMEI tag that they know (same model as what they sell or common design that is in their system), they will automatically add the appropriate data plan. AKA you either have to go to a feature phone, run a phone they do not know about (obscure phone), or use a phone that is grandfathered by not having the data plan already.
    10-18-09 04:01 PM
    I have a special deal throught at&t since my curve 8310 broke 5 or 6 times under warrenty they gave me a bold 9000 for free without a data plan after September 6.
    10-18-09 04:53 PM
    I also highly recommend anyone in this thread to use the Bolt Browser because it works with wi-fi and it will speed up you internet a lot!
    10-18-09 05:03 PM
    Well you may have no data plan under special circumstances, but you're telling people they can call AT&T and have their data plan removed which is completely untrue.

And my experiences with the Bolt browser have been less than stellar, it's not any faster than the BB browser and it's very clunky. Definitely not worth wasting precious memory on something that's no improvement over something that's already there and running all the time.
    10-19-09 01:34 PM
    By the way I was saying that if you do NOT already have a data plan but your phone is data capable you can change it where it is not do that you do not get any charges.
    10-19-09 07:08 PM
    Well you may have no data plan under special circumstances, but you're telling people they can call AT&T and have their data plan removed which is completely untrue.
    No, he is telling people that they can call their service provider and have data transmission turned off (also known as mobile internet). That way, instead of seeing edge or 3G on the BOLD you'll see GSM.

And my experiences with the Bolt browser have been less than stellar, it's not any faster than the BB browser and it's very clunky.
    Your experiences appear to be at odds with the experiences of others who agree that both Opera Mini or Bolt are significantly faster than the BB browser.
    10-19-09 07:14 PM
    Yes, thank you for clarifying that. But the funny think is when I had this done to my phone, my old blackberry curve 8310 when from edge to and gprs to GSM, but now my blackberry bold instead of displaying 3G now just dispays 3g. I do not know why it did this. But no matter what I do on it, I have not gotten charged data.
    10-20-09 06:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD