Hello,

I have the Blackberry 8820 with AT&T. I do not have the data plan on this device but do have wi-fi capability with this phone. Can I use it without getting billed for browsing? Previously I have been billed. I have set my browser to Hotspot browser, does that mean when I use this I won't be charged per kb when I browse? I would like to browse, which is one of the reasons I got this phone. I have the data services on at the moment and currently even with the hotspot browser option I am able to browse. Should that NOT work since I am unable to pick up any wi-fi connections near my place of work.

I beleive T-Mobile does not charge its customers for browsing with wi-fi phones that don't have the data plan.

Thanks and would appreciate any help I can get on this.

LionsDome
    02-20-09 10:43 AM
    You need to delete APN settings under TCP so that it won't allow ATT to use their data 'proxies.'
    02-20-09 05:07 PM
    Would you be able to tell me how I can do that or perhaps tell me where I can find the steps to do this?

Thanks.
    02-23-09 01:34 PM
    Go to settings --> options --> advanced options --> TCP.

delete all settings under APN, Username, and password.

It should say something like the below or **** for user name and password.

APN: wap.cingular
    User Name: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1

Save the changes.

Once in a while, I'd double check your online data usage to make sure it took but without a TCP 'proxy' to push data through, it should stop all data from ATT and insure total WIFI data access.
    02-23-09 05:19 PM
    Thanks for the helpful directions. But unfortunately, I am still able to browse without having any Wi-Fi range while I am at work. When I am home I can access my home network but when I turn the data services OFF, I am unable to browse unless its on. This leads me to believe that I am still using AT&T's data network. Are there any other settings I can play with?
    02-25-09 09:21 AM
    I can't see how it would still work without APN settings. What does it say on your online bill for your data charges when you are browsing off a wi-fi network? wap.cingular?
    02-27-09 03:18 AM
    Hello,

I looked at my ATT account and it shows my data use as per below -

DATE TIME TO/FROM TYPE DIRECTION MSG/KB/MIN

02/26 06:25 PM wap.cingular Internet/MEdia Net Sent 21KB

I deleted the APN settings on the 25th and it still shows I am using wap.cingular on the 26th. Is there some other setting perhaps?
    03-02-09 09:28 AM
    When you go to browser --> options --> browser options, the browser should be "hotspot browser". Also, under general options, should be "hotspot browser."

If that doesn't work, I have no idea. For me, just deleting the APN settings and changing my browser default prevents any wap.cingular data from coming over.

I know you can call ATT and have them stop it from their end but that would be a last resort.
    03-02-09 09:46 AM
    Thanks for the quick response.

I noticed one other thing now, I went to browser --> options --> browser configuration and tried changing my browser from media net to hotspot browser and it does not seem to accept the changes. I could have sworn I changed this before. On the general properties, I have changed it to hotspot browser without a problem. Could that be a reason perhaps? Is there a reason my phone is not accepting the changes?

Also does the data services have to "on" to browse in wi-fi mode?
    03-02-09 11:37 AM
    It should say hotspot browser, I'll bet that is the problem. If you highlight the "medianet" and push down on the trackball, it should give you a pull down. If you highlight the hotspot browser, it should take. Then MAKE SURE you hit the key to the LEFT of the trackball. It should pull up a menu, and you should highlight "save options."

Data services should be always on. However, I guess, if after you change it to hotspot browser above and it still does not work, you can turn OFF data services. Then when you know you are in the range of a wifi, like at your house, then turn it on. Then connect to wifi. Then when you leave the range, you can turn off your wifi.
    03-02-09 01:01 PM
    I am unable to save the media net to hotspot browser in the browser configuration. I am able to change it but I hit save and go back it is back to media net. Not sure what is going on there However in the general properties, I have changed it to hotspot browser.

Also when I am home I try to browse and I keep getting billed and it shows as wap.cingular on my bill for the data services.

So then the question here is, would calling ATT and disabling the data services still allow me to browse using my Wi-Fi connections?

Is problem unique to my phone only?
    03-06-09 02:31 PM
    the only 100% sure way you can guarantee no wap charges is to call ATT. All this other stuff about deleting TCP settings, etc. isn't a 100% guarantee as in your case. For me, all that other stuff did work though, that's why I gave you those information. And yes, you can still browse using wi-fi after they have shut off data.
    Last edited by jgomez5710; 03-06-09 at 02:56 PM.
    03-06-09 02:53 PM
    I got my BBold 9000 and I was having the same problem. I did what you suggested and it worked. Thanks so much for helping and for your input. Couldn't have resolved this issue without you guys!
    04-17-09 04:52 PM
    Just found this thread and wanted everyone to know this... I've got a blackberry 8820 on ATT and was using the browser for hotspot access and all of a sudden it has changed to access through the radio (att). I had already erased the APN settings, and the browser options won't save to hotspot and it ignores my input and returns to media net. Have had att turn off data so I won't get any more charges.

Here's my question, the phone always shows a wifi connection up where it shows that I'm connected to att on the home screen, but through manage connections, it never turns green and is always yellow. Any suggestions? I only want to use wifi - THANKS!
    06-11-09 10:10 AM
    For anyone else, I just may have found my own issue and it could be someone else's--

I was thinking through any recent changes I've made and there was one. I had gone into settings - options - cell broadcast settings. Make sure that this is off or else it seems to revert the phone to the att network somehow even though apn settings have been deleted.
    06-11-09 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD