I wanted to get this off my chest because whenever someone asks what blackberry to get, everyone just says 9900 when it has problems itself.

So firstly, they both have the same battery. Because the 9900 has a bigger screen, and a 1.2Ghz processor, the battery doesn't last long powering it. On the other hand the 9790 has a smaller screen and a 1Ghz processor and it can stay on for a good long set of hours. The processor isn't even a disadvantage, who needs more than 1Ghz?

Then the camera. The 9790 has autofocus which is a big bonus when using the camera for taking pictures with your friends which is common. However the 9900 has 720p video recording. Which will you need more?

Then the price, the 9790 is a fair amount cheaper.

So what it comes down to mostly is do you want a bigger phone that runs out of power quite easily, or a smaller phone that lasts a solid amount of time. That's the main thing here, the rest isn't really anything big.

I hope you all consider this next time deciding or giving advice.
    08-28-12 02:48 PM
    I have used the 9930 for about 9 months. My carrier considers me a heavy user. (3000+ min a month, 2500+ sms/mms a month, 1-2G data). My battery last from 6:00AM to 11:00PM and still has 20% left. My pictures are always clear (sometimes dark) using the 1024 x 768 setting. It also can do 2560 x 1920 pictures. And it does have the 720p video.
    While the 9790 is a good phone the 9930 is no slouch either.
    08-28-12 03:07 PM
    I wanted to get this off my chest because whenever someone asks what blackberry to get, everyone just says 9900 when it has problems itself.

So firstly, they both have the same battery. Because the 9900 has a bigger screen, and a 1.2Ghz processor, the battery doesn't last long powering it. On the other hand the 9790 has a smaller screen and a 1Ghz processor and it can stay on for a good long set of hours. The processor isn't even a disadvantage, who needs more than 1Ghz?

Then the camera. The 9790 has autofocus which is a big bonus when using the camera for taking pictures with your friends which is common. However the 9900 has 720p video recording. Which will you need more?

Then the price, the 9790 is a fair amount cheaper.

So what it comes down to mostly is do you want a bigger phone that runs out of power quite easily, or a smaller phone that lasts a solid amount of time. That's the main thing here, the rest isn't really anything big.

I hope you all consider this next time deciding or giving advice.
    I believe your assumption that conveys all users (myself included) immediately recommend the Bold 9900 is completely wrong. I've actually recommended the 9790 for those looking for longer battery life and an AF camera. For the most part, they end up upgrading to the 99xx series, as the keyboard, video and processor are all better.

I've recommended the Torch to those looking for an in-between hybrid version of a BB keyboard and TS. Just saying.
    08-28-12 03:12 PM
    Personal preference.

Also, if you have small hands / less money for a bb / bad at taking pics (like me) / prefer latest bb's.

I'd like a 9790. Yet to try one but I like the 9780 so...
    08-28-12 03:16 PM
    The 9790 is like the 9900's baby brother lol

If you want the top of the line Blackberry get the 9900 with the latest OS 7.1. You cant go wrong. The battery life is great for me. I get 15hrs + daily.
    08-28-12 03:26 PM
    Whats funny about the 'better battery' argument is that according to several websites stats, the only category that the 9790 has better battery life than the 9900 is in standby lol talk time and music play go to the 9900.

Now, obviously each user is gonna have different usage and that will affect battery life as well. But to put out a blanket statement such as "a bigger phone (9900) that runs out of power quite easily, or a smaller phone (9790) that lasts a solid amount of time" without actually giving proven facts to back up your argument, is kinda misleading and you are doing essentially the same thing that you are accusing "everyone" of doing.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    08-28-12 03:50 PM
    I have used the 9930 for about 9 months. My carrier considers me a heavy user. (3000+ min a month, 2500+ sms/mms a month, 1-2G data). My battery last from 6:00AM to 11:00PM and still has 20% left. My pictures are always clear (sometimes dark) using the 1024 x 768 setting. It also can do 2560 x 1920 pictures. And it does have the 720p video.
    While the 9790 is a good phone the 9930 is no slouch either.
    How do you get such a long time. I can only guess you aren't ever using Bluetooth, but even then I don't use 1/2 of what you do and mine would be completely dead after 11-12 hours.

any tips?
    08-28-12 04:07 PM
    How do you get such a long time. I can only guess you aren't ever using Bluetooth, but even then I don't use 1/2 of what you do and mine would be completely dead after 11-12 hours.

any tips?
    #1 tip: Use wifi when available

Also:
    *turn off bluetooth when not in use
    * set apps to update/refresh manually or when opened
    Hgouck likes this.
    08-28-12 04:16 PM
    OP, I disagree with you on most of your arguments. The only point 9790 wins over 9900 is the camera, which I don't even bother to check the specs when I'm looking for a phone. For those who are really concerned about camera performances, I strongly suggest to get an Iphone or a real camera. I never seriously considered the 9790 mainly cause I find the 4 buttons around the trackpad disgusting, really (even worst on the torch 9850/9860). One of my friend own a 9790 and her battery life is horrible (7 hours of average/heavy usage), her phone is constantly freezing and the touchscreen she was already barely using stop to work. I played with this phone in several occasions and IMO, regardless to "official specs", it is most looking like a super-curve (keyboard, size of the display, useless touchscreen) than a small bold.
    08-28-12 04:26 PM
    I've never had a issue with battery life on the 9930.
    It's not as good as my iPhone but it still lasts me until about 10 at night with a good 30% left.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-28-12 05:39 PM
    both the 9790 and the 9900 are great phones.. but i prefer the 9900 for the keyboard feels much much better and the size just fits me. The 9790 is too small for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-28-12 06:34 PM
    The OP did not mention the keyboard, which is worlds apart. Nothing comes close to the 9900 keyboard.
    08-28-12 06:51 PM

any tips?
    1. Turn off display by pressing lock button, don't wait for it to time out. Also turn the brightness down as far as you can while still being able to use the phone comfortably.
    2. Don't allow apps to automatically update themselves
    3. Use WiFi when available
    I leave Bluetooth and WiFi on because i am always bridged to my playbook. I type my emails and messages on the playbook
    08-28-12 07:12 PM
    I think its all about personal preference. I was a long time 9900 user as well, now on a 9790 as my daily driver. The 9900 does seem to have a slightly better battery life. Perhaps because of all the criticism, RIM has been hard at work optimising the OS for 9900.

But still i went for the 9790 because of some factors. Its size is extremely pocketable. Auto-focus camera is nice too, since i have to take photos of receipts frequently. I was initially appalled by the decision to use the individual buttons around the trackpad, but after seeing it and using it in person, i actually like it. It may not look at nice as the 9900, but it is extremely easy to use. Though i still think that this design is better suited for the curve 9320, it matches the design of the keyboard. Other than that, a 0.2Ghz difference isn't really heaven and earth, sure you feel that its slower compared to the 9900, but its not to the extend that is unbearable. Its still smooth and fast. I do quite like the charging port at the bottom, but would love it more if the earphone jack was at the top instead of the side. Also I'm not really a fan of the lock button. I prefer the one on the 9900 and 9320 which is much easier to press. Also i do like the soft touch battery cover on the 9790 much better than the one on the 9900. The looks of the 9790 has grown on me quite a lot.

I see it as a sucessor to the 9780, but faster, smaller, and lighter. Both the 9900 and 9790 are great devices, and it is all up to personal preference.
    mauricio123 likes this.
    08-28-12 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD