Have noticed recently that a lot of people talking about upgrading the OS on their device are wiping it first before loading the new OS (no flame just an observation but mainly newer members/storm owners).
    Why? I thought this was only needed for bricked phones? I've done a number of OS upgrades and have never wiped the phone first or had any problems.
    Is there something I'm missing (maybe different ug process for the storm) or is it a misconception amongst the newer owners that this is required first?
    Just curious.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 01:02 AM
    The update process actually backs up all apps and programs and wipes the phone so I have never seen a need to wipe before and I have never had an issue
    01-27-09 01:09 AM
    I've done upgrades both ways. Honestly, I can't say that doing a wipe first makes any difference, as long as there weren't any problems to begin with.

That's just my experience though.
    01-27-09 01:09 AM
    I have done one and I did no wipe, all went well here too.
    01-27-09 01:24 AM
    I think the wipe step is listed there from an abundance of caution. The how-to (I believe) is trying to make the process almost a no-brainer for the sake of people who might not have a full grasp of what they're doing--trying to put the benefits of an OS upgrade within their reach. Personally I've done four OS upgrades without wiping the memory and without issue.
    01-27-09 07:05 AM
    Never wiped before an upgrade. Not sure how the wipe step in the upgrade process is different from doing a separate wipe.
    01-27-09 07:09 AM
    So should we rename the thread to wipe or not to wipe? That is the question? Seriuosly though, good info to know...
    01-27-09 07:13 AM
    Never wiped before an upgrade. Not sure how the wipe step in the upgrade process is different from doing a separate wipe.
    My guess is so you're not trusting the automated wipe/restore to work without any glitches.
    01-27-09 07:21 AM
    So should we rename the thread to wipe or not to wipe? That is the question?
    01-27-09 07:21 AM
    Don't wipe it here either. Just back everything up and then install new OS
    01-27-09 07:55 AM
    So should we rename the thread to wipe or not to wipe? That is the question? Seriuosly though, good info to know...
    Lol... Good idea!

01-27-09 08:10 AM
    There is no reason to do a wipe on the phone for an OS upgrade. No reason at all. Period.

But I always do recommend to people to perform their own backup before the installation process begins. Just recently a guy in the Bold section started a thread and said that he had upgrade problems and the process didn't even back up his phone. He was left without anything. That's why I say. DO YOUR OWN BACKUP JUST IN CASE.

01-27-09 09:58 AM
    ...is it a misconception amongst the newer owners that this is required first?
    Just curious.

The only time you should consider wiping the device, is when the settings are corrupted and you want a fresh start.

The upgrade procedure depends on the device being in good working order.
    01-27-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD