Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 101
Like Tree73Likes
  1. ankoil's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #26  

    Default

    I thought the Torch was fine, I guess I'm the only one. When I went in store asking about upgrading, the sales rep was telling me it was the most complained about device on contract.
  2. TheBlackberryUser33's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gng11 View Post
    Sliders may feel good. But as far as its entirety goes, this kind of model needs a rest for a while. RIM has produced far too much of it to really confuse the product line. One keyboard model and one touch model is enough.
    I disagree. There is no reason for RIM to not make a slider if demand is there. Once they have the L and N series released they might as well fill it in with a slider.
  3. TheBlackberryUser33's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ankoil View Post
    I thought the Torch was fine, I guess I'm the only one. When I went in store asking about upgrading, the sales rep was telling me it was the most complained about device on contract.
    I love my Torch and the only time I complained was the very first time I had to do a battery pull (I was slightly confused). Never complained again.
  4. Techno-Emigre's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    523 Posts
    #29  

    Default

    I agree that RIM just needs to get BB10 on two solid phones out there and start to recover before they consider other models. I feel torn between L or N series and want to know what the Alpha users think. I have a PlayBook, and never miss the trackpad or want a physical keyboard (much). But when I think of having a phone without those things I wonder what I will think.
  5. vorpalz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    489 Posts
    PIN
    ing for the fjords
    #30  

    Default

    ... because I will buy it over the L or N series if it is made...

    That's why
  6. TheBlackberryUser33's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vorpalz View Post
    ... because I will buy it over the L or N series if it is made...

    That's why
    And thats why if there are customers RIM should make it. They could even make it a more expensive phone and make a little more money, if they so choose.
  7. zeenery's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #32  

    Default

    I have had a 9800 Torch since very soon after the release date and still love it. I was really excited when I saw images of the Milan on the net. I hope there will soon be mention of a slider being released or I may find myself looking at other manufacturers. Can anyone clarify whether a slider is somewhere on the horizon?
  8. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,571 Posts
    #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeenery View Post
    I have had a 9800 Torch since very soon after the release date and still love it. I was really excited when I saw images of the Milan on the net. I hope there will soon be mention of a slider being released or I may find myself looking at other manufacturers. Can anyone clarify whether a slider is somewhere on the horizon?
    There have been zero leaks whatsoever about a bb10 slider and most seem to think it is more than a year away while Rim concentrates on the more important form factors of all-touch and qwerty.
  9. taz323's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    728 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,830 Global Posts
    #34  

    Default Re: Why we need a BlackBerry 10 slider

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackberryUser33 View Post
    I love the Torch 9810 and slider form. I want a slider to get the best of BlackBerry 10 touchscreen (larger screen size, 16:9 or similar screen) without giving up the keyboard. Petty concerns such as weight and thickness are not issues to me. Please make me a heavy duty, fast, powerful BlackBerry 10 slider RIM!
    I've been waiting and looking forward to a full touch screen, even though Rim has an awsome keyboard, but the idea of a full screen with a slider keyboard would be the best of both worlds.
    Mecca EL likes this.
  10. Tim-ANC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    832 Posts
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    #35  

    Default Why we need a BlackBerry 10 slider

    Count me as a portrait slider fan. I'll get the L but will miss the keyboard and track pad. I also like sliding open when talking. Speaker to mic distance is better.
    http://www.907outdoors.com

    Current: AT&T Z10. Past: 9800, 9700, 8100, 7130
    Mecca EL likes this.
  11. leejayh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    639 Posts
    #36  

    Default

    I will get the L, and the N, and the slider when it comes out. I really want a slider though. The form factor and flexibility to me is the right combo. I don't care for thinness. I am surprised that people care about that - the chunkiness of my BB9810 suits me just fine. Too thin is no good either - my mom's SG3 feels like you can snap it in half.
  12. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,571 Posts
    #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leejayh View Post
    I will get the L, and the N, and the slider when it comes out. I really want a slider though. The form factor and flexibility to me is the right combo. I don't care for thinness. I am surprised that people care about that - the chunkiness of my BB9810 suits me just fine. Too thin is no good either - my mom's SG3 feels like you can snap it in half.
    Sadly, the market seems to be enthralled by the idea of ever thinner phones even when it comes at the expense of battery life.

    I am quite glad that the l-series seems to be a similar sort of thickness to a 9900 rather than chasing to be the thinnest option out there as like you I find some of the new ones too thin to be comfortable in your hand.
  13. andrew1953's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    281 Posts
    #38  

    Default Why we need a BlackBerry 10 slider

    RIM has to take into acount the obsession with thin and slim. A Brick will not float on the market. Closest to my ideal phone is a Note 2 with a 6400 mAh Mugen battery. A BlackBerry slider with a bIg screen(4.6" atleast or 4.8") would be ideal with optional heavy duty battery.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
  14. NFLPLAYBOOK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    #39  

    Default

    I hope they continue to make sliders. I wouldn't mind seeing a landscape slider with a nice big screen. Say 8"s.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
  15. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    6,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,337 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #40  

    Default

    Again, sliders are more expensive to design, harder to produce, and have a multitude of things that can go wrong. A slider version of the L-series would likely have to carry a 40% premium over the full-touch version to make it worth RIM'S while.

    And the new software keyboard is honestly so good that it will win over many potential slider users. Really.
    djdragon likes this.
  16. djdragon's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    858 Posts
    #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Again, sliders are more expensive to design, harder to produce, and have a multitude of things that can go wrong. A slider version of the L-series would likely have to carry a 40% premium over the full-touch version to make it worth RIM'S while.

    And the new software keyboard is honestly so good that it will win over many potential slider users. Really.

    Watch this at the 2:10 mark (or watch full video, its very good). "The Engadget Show: Inside the mind of designer Philippe S..." - Videos - Viddler

    What Starck says rings true.
    _________________________________________
    No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

    BBM Channel C0006F5A6
  17. BoldWorld's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #42  

    Default

    I love my 9800 and cant see myself going to anything with a smaller screen. When I upgraded over two years ago the 9800 was fairly new with a bigger screen and a full keyboard, the best of both worlds and I really hope I can have a slider BB10 phone. I have not yet tried a os7 device, since they have a smaller screen and the 9810 looked very similar to the 9800 so I didn't want to spend money for just that.
    A big touch screen and full keyboard is my dream device
  18. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    6,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,337 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #43  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djdragon View Post
    Watch this at the 2:10 mark (or watch full video, its very good). "The Engadget Show: Inside the mind of designer Philippe S..." - Videos - Viddler

    What Starck says rings true.
    Absolutely. Physical mechanism is a step backwards. It adds weight and complexity.

    Now, if I needed a touch keyboard, I'd just go with an N-series. Yes, I'd lose some screen real estate, but with a sufficiently sharp display, that may not be an issue.

    The market for a slider is this: a user who NEEDS a full screen size and NEEDS a physical keyboard, and NEEDS both of them enough that they are willing to compromise on weight and willing to accept considerably higher potential for breakage (both because of the added weight and potential mechanism breakage in the event of a fall). Oh, and they must also be willing to pay more.

    The thing is, with BB10 this market will shrink. The virtual keyboard is honestly good enough that a great many potential slider buyers will say "hmmm, this is good enough, AND I get a lighter phone to boot".

    The new keyboard will honestly convert many (no, not all) users who currently HATE virtual keyboards. It may actually be good enough to pull over iPhone users just on its own merits.
  19. Nine54's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #44  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    RIM is targeting the huge all touch market with the L, and catering to the largest current BlackBerry base with the N. They are trying to make the typing experience on the L so good that they get people to abandon the QWERTY IMHO, which will further consolidate the product offering.
    I think this is key. If the touch typing experience is as good as RIM is striving for, slider users might just use the virtual keyboard the majority of the time, seldom making use of the slide-out keyboard. And for the physical keyboard fans, like others mentioned, they probably will want that keyboard accessible all the time.
  20. qbnkelt's Avatar
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

    Posts
    17,297 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,066 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    #45  

    Default Re: Why we need a BlackBerry 10 slider

    If RIM actually manufactured the Blade, I would absolutely jump on it.

    Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    stick_slinger and Mecca EL like this.
  21. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,571 Posts
    #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    If RIM actually manufactured the Blade, I would absolutely jump on it.
    The blade is clearly not in the slightest way feasible to make as a real product and I wish people would stop bringing up it or similar designs until the designer at least makes a slight effort to make his designs even slightly possible.
  22. lactose's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #47  

    Default

    My fav phone was the Palm Pre, and I think the portrait qwerty slide-out had a lot to do with it. There was a certain pleasure to holding it and operating it. It Blackberry made one, I would buy it.
  23. vorpalz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    489 Posts
    PIN
    ing for the fjords
    #48  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Absolutely. Physical mechanism is a step backwards. It adds weight and complexity.

    Now, if I needed a touch keyboard, I'd just go with an N-series. Yes, I'd lose some screen real estate, but with a sufficiently sharp display, that may not be an issue.

    The market for a slider is this: a user who NEEDS a full screen size and NEEDS a physical keyboard, and NEEDS both of them enough that they are willing to compromise on weight and willing to accept considerably higher potential for breakage (both because of the added weight and potential mechanism breakage in the event of a fall). Oh, and they must also be willing to pay more.

    The thing is, with BB10 this market will shrink. The virtual keyboard is honestly good enough that a great many potential slider buyers will say "hmmm, this is good enough, AND I get a lighter phone to boot".

    The new keyboard will honestly convert many (no, not all) users who currently HATE virtual keyboards. It may actually be good enough to pull over iPhone users just on its own merits.
    And I fit that demographic exactly. A virtual keyboard is not an option in my work. I'm outside, in hostile weather, working on industrial jobsites and entering in long strings of communication command information to remote telecommunications gear. No virtual keyboard shortcuts work for this, the physical keyboard is the way to go, especially with working in cold weather with cold hands and smudged touchscreens.

    I also have never liked the traditional BB Bold/Curve design with a keyboard taking up half the phone face. I have becomed extremely used to a full touch screen with a sliding keyboard.

    As for the build quality, my 9810 has had severe abuse from dropping in snow (several times), being left in a frozen service truck several times, dropped, kicked, sat on, etc. The slider mechanism works fine, the phone works fine, the speaker is getting a little crackly, but still functions after all this abuse. They are a tough design.

    Honestly, if BB is phasing out a slider design, I will be looking at other phones that have this. It was the only reason I considered BlackBerry in the first place.
    Last edited by vorpalz; 12-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Mecca EL and mrskycar like this.
  24. taz323's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    728 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,830 Global Posts
    #49  

    Default Re: Why we need a BlackBerry 10 slider

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Again, sliders are more expensive to design, harder to produce, and have a multitude of things that can go wrong. A slider version of the L-series would likely have to carry a 40% premium over the full-touch version to make it worth RIM'S while.

    And the new software keyboard is honestly so good that it will win over many potential slider users. Really.
    this is true, but Rim is also the company that came out with the Porshe and that sold for how much
    Mecca EL likes this.
  25. qbnkelt's Avatar
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

    Posts
    17,297 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,066 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    #50  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    The blade is clearly not in the slightest way feasible to make as a real product and I wish people would stop bringing up it or similar designs until the designer at least makes a slight effort to make his designs even slightly possible.

    Which is the reason I said "If Rim actually manufactured", since I am well aware that it was not a RIM design and I'm well aware that concepts and prototypes are ideas to launch from and not actualised products.
    I liked the design, therefore I mentioned it.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    stick_slinger likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Starbucks App for BlackBerry 10: WE NEED IT
    By sebastianlovestheplaybook in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM
  2. A Reason for RIM: Why we still need the Blackberry
    By TRlPPlN in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 12:34 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
  4. Replies: 131
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 07:46 PM
  5. We need a BlackBerry Guru
    By ping in forum Developers Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions