Dear Forum,
    I have been a BB user for over a year now - on an 8320 T-MO. It was my first smart phone. The honeymoon wore off when I realized that this device is really not ready for internet. I am not a corporate user and route most of my messaging through Gmail. As I see the smartphone replacing the cellphone, upgrading to the next BB just doesn't make as much sense anymore. For the consumer who needs a smartphone, what are your reasons for staying with BB over, say, Nokia or HTC? What does BB bring to the mix that these other devices don't?
    02-25-09 09:58 AM
    BB's Push mail is still the best u can get in the market
    On the flip side, I know there are programs like seven to enable push though

I do like the UI better than nokia or windows.
    Keyboard is still the best around as well

That's my take on it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 10:01 AM
    What he said...

and the infinite configurability.

I agree the Internet is not all that, but personally a very tiny proportion of my BB use is on tinter web!
    02-25-09 10:07 AM
    I think most of us tend to stay loyal to brands that have done well for/to us. Push e-mail is great and in my experience BB tech support is great too. BB's form and function (not just for business anymore) is generally above and beyond other phones (in my opinion).

Most of us stick to our comfort zone and things that work for us. If a person's first experience with a BB is bad, often they will not try it again. If it is good well, we keep coming back for more.

Let's not lie either... the name counts to most people as well. Sort of like a status symbol.

02-25-09 10:09 AM
    I think in terms of customization, winmo and android devices beat bb
    But stability and speed wise, no question about the bb's capability
    Yes the tweaking of winmo devices is fun but I have seen many who have used a bb and traded for a winmo device eventually coming back

At the end of the day, u can customize the bb quite a fair bit w/o sacrificing speed and stability
    That's impt to me
    I need a device to work and work fast and stable

02-25-09 10:14 AM
    I agree, customization to some extent is important. Just like my desktop computer. However, I really do not like the idea of a Winmo device. If Symbian and Android nail it on one of the new devices I just don't see BB holding up in the comparison.

Push email? My friend gets his gmail just as fast on his G1 running android.

I like my BB - I just don't see it remaining the most viable option in the market. Maybe I'm wrong, which is why I ask...
    02-25-09 10:18 AM
    I had a WinMo device prior to getting my BB. I was seriously looking at getting another WinMo device until I compared the two devices and what how they do things.

the BB browser does have its limitations, but if you have ever played with the WinMo browser, it has a lot of growing to do as well (probably more). I loved how configurable WinMo was, but hated how often it could lock up, or need to be reset.

The reasons I went with BB, was e-mail, messaging, quick access, and reliability. I am one of those people who try to get a lot of tiny things done during those in-between moments throughout the day. The BB just seemed to fit what I was looking for.

I think HTC has made some interesting WinMo phones as of late, and the G1 looks as if it could do some pretty interesting things as it grows and matures. It would all depend on what you do with the phone, and how you do it.
    02-25-09 11:08 AM
    I agree, customization to some extent is important. Just like my desktop computer. However, I really do not like the idea of a Winmo device. If Symbian and Android nail it on one of the new devices I just don't see BB holding up in the comparison.

Push email? My friend gets his gmail just as fast on his G1 running android.

I like my BB - I just don't see it remaining the most viable option in the market. Maybe I'm wrong, which is why I ask...
    Not too familiar with G1 myself but aside from the very good gmail integration, does it handle other email accounts well?
    I guess BB will still have a slight edge if the user requires the device to handle a few separate accounts

No need to apologise man, you've got a good discussion thread going on

02-25-09 11:15 AM
    I was a winmo user, even the higher end one like the fuze, one needs to reboot every now and again, if you get an older one like mine, it's just the fact that it is chunky I don't like. I love my 8110, and hope that BB will come up with 3G support, GPS AND Wifi in one tiny body. am sick of big phones, it's a new age, let's not go back to brick like phones!
    02-25-09 11:19 AM
    Why do you think you need a smartphone. Your answer should be what the bb do. if not then dont get one
    02-25-09 11:22 AM
    Why do you think you need a smartphone. Your answer should be what the bb do. if not then dont get one
    I don't "think" I need a smartphone, I want one and I use it. Everything from keeping emails current, maps, and basic internet (it is sooo useful to be able to check somebody'd flight info when you are planning to get them a cab in a foreign city). Additionally, I no longer carry my mp3 player around because the phone can do that too.

One attractive idea are the netbooks. Throw a 3g card in there and it's a very interesting prospect. But I digress.

RE: G1 and multiple accounts, I have about 7 accounts all routed through my gmail right now. Gmail's inherent filtering process allows me to choose what happens to what account. I find this fantastic.

Where do I think the BB is falling behind? The OS, internet and having all the functionality in one device. Why can't we have a 3G, WiFi and GPS BB?
    02-25-09 11:42 AM
    For general consumers I am not sure there are many reasons to choose one over the other. I think stability (at least when comparing to WinMo phones) would be the biggest draw to a BB. In my opinion most of the other non-BB smartphones win out on the 3rd party support, and general fun factor but again I am not sure that matters so much either. Lots of people just stick with what they get and dont look to possibly better alternatives (like finding a better internet browser, or email program). So beyond the stability factor I would say BB doesnt bring more "to the mix" to general consumer.

I am really interested to see what the opening of the app store will do for the BB platform.
    02-25-09 12:16 PM
    OP, the bold has 3G, wifi and GPS. So that's one of the list
    Internet wise there is some buzz about bolt. I tried it and it is pretty fast but still has navigation issues

02-25-09 12:22 PM
    I would say BB's push email is a huge advantage over any other device. Also stability is another great reason, i have owned many other smart phones and NONE have been as stable as any of my BB's. WinMo devices are nice but lag way too much, maybe with 6.5 coming out it might improve alot over 6.1 but IMO nothing compares to a BB. Your best bet would be to go down to your local T-Mo and give the 8900 a check. The device is amazing in like every way, even though its not 3G the browser is very quick and makes up for it. If you really like another device more i would tell you go for what best suits you most. But i for one will never own anything but a Blackberry.
    02-25-09 12:31 PM
    Where do I think the BB is falling behind? The OS, internet and having all the functionality in one device. Why can't we have a 3G, WiFi and GPS BB?
    Main reason, in my opinon with T-Mobile anyway, is they haven't rolled out 3G in enough markets to make having an all in one BB with 3G, WiFI and GPS, worth the effort just yet. Until more of the US markets have 3G, that's going to be so. Also doesn't help that if you have a T-Mobile 3G phone, you can't use it in Europe because the two flavors of 3G are not compatible, and if you get it unlocked, you can't use it on any other US 3G network, because again, the 3G used on the other US carriers is not compatible. This is one of those times that less is not more.

With the way the phones are being updated these days, you get a 3G BB, and by the time you can actually use it in some areas, you'll have a phone that is nearly past it's upgrade lifetime (as far as what RIM will be doing with the OS), and more likely than not, the next version of the phone you bought will be on the market, getting all the tweaks, OS enhancements, instead of the one you bought two years prior. Add to this mix the different flavors of 3G, and you see the headache RIM is having, who to build the for first.

It's just too bad that all BB's no matter what carrier they are made for, don't come with the same features. Then for the most part it wouldn't matter who your carrier was, you'd have the same device, then it would only be a matter of services offered by the carrier, above and beyond phone service.
    02-25-09 01:22 PM
    in my opinion .....
    the push email .... how many email accounts you can have on the device .....its more reliable than most smart phones....and as for me it does just about everything i need it to do
    02-25-09 01:37 PM
    I would say BB's push email is a huge advantage over any other device.
    Why is the push email such an advantage? Maybe I don't understand what it is doing, but I just fail to see it.
    02-25-09 01:42 PM
    I totally agree with all that you said. You also have to remember that Verizon is supposed to be rolling pout 4G early 2010. Then what.....?

Main reason, in my opinon with T-Mobile anyway, is they haven't rolled out 3G in enough markets to make having an all in one BB with 3G, WiFI and GPS, worth the effort just yet. Until more of the US markets have 3G, that's going to be so. Also doesn't help that if you have a T-Mobile 3G phone, you can't use it in Europe because the two flavors of 3G are not compatible, and if you get it unlocked, you can't use it on any other US 3G network, because again, the 3G used on the other US carriers is not compatible. This is one of those times that less is not more.

With the way the phones are being updated these days, you get a 3G BB, and by the time you can actually use it in some areas, you'll have a phone that is nearly past it's upgrade lifetime (as far as what RIM will be doing with the OS), and more likely than not, the next version of the phone you bought will be on the market, getting all the tweaks, OS enhancements, instead of the one you bought two years prior. Add to this mix the different flavors of 3G, and you see the headache RIM is having, who to build the for first.

It's just too bad that all BB's no matter what carrier they are made for, don't come with the same features. Then for the most part it wouldn't matter who your carrier was, you'd have the same device, then it would only be a matter of services offered by the carrier, above and beyond phone service.
    02-25-09 02:06 PM
    nothing else compares to BB !!! I got RIM in my Veins!!!
    02-25-09 02:10 PM
    You know, Dachilleus ...

What does BB bring to the mix that these other devices don't?

Answer: Maybe Nothing.

It looks like you want to play rather than work on your device ... and that's fine.

Palm Pre may turn you on ... until *that* honeymoon wears off.

Next year there will be something better ... and that's the way it should be. Right?
    Last edited by taddley; 02-26-09 at 06:52 AM.
    02-25-09 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";