I realize that accidents happen, but it seems like many people talk casually about how often they've droppped and damaged their BBs and other cell phones. Like I said, I know it can happen, but there are a lot of people who seem to have it down to an art, and not just careless teenagers.

I've been using mobile devices/phones for around 15 years, and I can literally count on one hand the number of times I've dropped my cell phone, let alone damaged one. Am I just that OCD and overly careful, or is this a common thing?

No offense intended...I'm just intrigued. (Now watch, I'll drop and break mine today!)
    04-30-08 11:39 AM
    Because of work, I'm always running around the office & sometimes, I'll think I'm slipping it back into the holster - not looking - & drop it. I've done that like once.. but before my holster? It was like raining berries!

I'm usually better with it when I'm not at work.. unless I'm drinking. I dropped my Treo into a pitcher of beer!
    04-30-08 11:41 AM
    Fortunately, most of the heart wrenching, dropped my beloved 'berry tales have a happy ending. It nearly always works, a few scratches give it character.
    04-30-08 11:42 AM
    I'm with you, I've never damaged a cell phone (Knocking on wood right now!), but my husband has dropped/damaged a number of them! One fell out of his pocket and onto the cement street. Another went down our front steps. I have a friend who always put his phone into his pocket so it's always with him, so it's no surprise it was in his bathing suit pocket when he got into a hot tub!

I think the more you use it, and if you take it everywhere, it becomes a part of you and unless you're really in the habit of putting it in a safe place things will happen to it.
    04-30-08 11:46 AM
    I'm just horribly clumsy and constantly walking around work, putting my phone in random places. I need to learn not to hold my phone with my hand, that's when I tend to drop it.

On that note, I've had I think 6 cell phones and the only ones I've ever dropped have been the Blackberries, I think. Odd.
    04-30-08 12:39 PM
    I'm a busy man, so I am constantly in situations that put my bb at risk. ESPECIALLY when I go to bars/clubs/partys.
    04-30-08 12:48 PM
    I use mine constantly too, both for work and personal use. When home, I usually have it out of its case or clip, but when traveling, it's always there unless in use. I also find myself constantly reaching down to my side to make sure it's safe and secure. I also polish and shine it up when I start or finish using it. I've done this with all my phones, not just BBs.

Okay, ummmmm...I guess maybe I *AM* a little ocd.
    04-30-08 12:55 PM
    I am exceptionally clusmy so it stands to reason I drop my berry more than I'd like to lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-08 12:56 PM
    I'm also very busy always running around and I deal with a 19 month old all day so sometimes it may come down to dropping him or the BB.
    04-30-08 01:00 PM
    I'm also very busy always running around and I deal with a 19 month old all day so sometimes it may come down to dropping him or the BB.
    Hmmmm...tough choice...!!!

I kid, I kid!
    04-30-08 01:04 PM
    Hmmmm...tough choice...!!!

I kid, I kid!

Don't think it hasn't already crossed my mind. The BB is replaceable, but the kid will heal......hmmmmmm

I'm a horrible Grandmother.
    04-30-08 01:07 PM
    I've had my BB for about a month now. I purchased a skin for it right away to protect it. Not once this past month have I dropped it. Until today. I took my BB out of its nice protective skin last night to show it off a bit. I forgot to put it back on and now so far I have dropped it 3 times today with no protection. Luckily there is minimal scratches on the sides of it.

I have dropped many a phone in the past. I even dropped one from the top of a 40 foot ladder before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-08 01:09 PM
    My screen name says it all Klutz.
    At work I'm pretty good with it, it's when I get home and start chasing the fastest 2 y/o on earth that I run into problems.

Oh and my first Pearl I dropped into a cup of tea.
    04-30-08 01:15 PM
    My son dropped his 8700 in the toilet...after three days of drying time, it worked perfectly.

The worst part is that he had to fish it out.
    04-30-08 01:19 PM
    I have only ever killed one cell phone out of about 6 in my life. That was my A640 which my fiance helpfully parked a car on (I am in Canada so I was going to put it in my purse, but I had mittens on and it slipped out of my hand as he was pulling out of the carport, I yelled stop, which he did - helpfully ON TOP of the phone). In hindsight, this was a good thing because I bought Krzr to replace it, was debating between the Krzr and the Pearl and a couple months later a co worker came in with a Pearl 8130, I played and went out the next day and got the Pearl. I sold the Krzr to a co worker.

Now, I am JUST like you, OP, in that I polish it. My case came today finally so it will be living in that from now on.
    04-30-08 01:48 PM
    I killed my sanyo katana after having it for only 2 months. I couldnt find it for 2 days and as i was doing laundry, I put the load into my dryer, turned it on, and as I walked away i heard "thunk...thunk...thunk" I knew immediately that it was my phone. I soaked it in 95% alcohal for an hour, let it dry for about 6 hours taken apart in front of a fan, put it back together and it worked fine...but only for about 4 months then it died XD
    04-30-08 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD