Here's my situation: Almost all of my texting is to my son or my wife, both of whom have iPhones, as do I. We use iMessage, and it works very well for us. We can send text, pictures, documents, contacts, whatever, and we get "delivered" and "read" notification.

Now, like a lot of people, I downloaded BBM when it became available, but it has sat there unused ever since. I admit I don't know much about it. Can you tell me, given my usage scenario, if BBM offers me any advantages over iMessage? Is there any compelling reason I (and my wife and son) should be using it? Thanks in advance!
    11-10-13 08:44 PM
    For you imessage probably is the better choice. In its current state I dont think BBM offers you any advantage
    11-10-13 08:51 PM
    If you are all on iPhone then iMessage is your obvious choice. Just as folks on BlackBerrys are better off using BBM than some non baked into the OS solution.

Is iMessage giving you issues? Why are you looking for something else? If I may ask.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-10-13 08:58 PM
    You could give groups a go, though. Find some interest groups here on CrackBerry.

I agree with the others, if the most important people in your life are on iMessage and you have an iPhone, stick to it.

But do give groups a try. Maybe network with others on the same profession will get you to really tast what BBM is about!
    11-10-13 09:01 PM
    This is why CB is awesome. Most people here will give you honest answers, not fanboy answers. And like the two above, i would also suggest you stick with imessage.

Z10 STL100-2/back to10.1.0.4828 and not missing a thing!
    11-10-13 09:02 PM
    BBM Groups might offer certain advantages over iMessage. Take a look at this thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=867846

If these work in your favour, you could switch to BBM. Else, iMessage is your best bet.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:07 PM
    If you are all on iPhone then iMessage is your obvious choice. Just as folks on BlackBerrys are better off using BBM than some non baked into the OS solution.

Is iMessage giving you issues? Why are you looking for something else? If I may ask.
    iMessage works fine for us, and we aren't having any issues with it. It's not that I'm necessarily looking for something else, it's just that folks here have been praising BBM quite a bit, and I don't really know what it can do. I thought it might have some whiz-bang features that iMessage lacks.

I knew this was the right place to ask because, as someone said above, you guys give honest, non-fanboy answers. I appreciate that a lot. One of the reasons I'm here is because I don't know much about BlackBerry and I'm curious about what it can do. I've learned a lot already, and it's been very interesting. Thank you all very much for your answers!
    11-10-13 09:10 PM
    You could consider BBM if you have Android or BlackBerry friends. I have iMessage but I have never opened it, not even once.
    11-10-13 09:10 PM
    I use bbm at work. Great to organize meetings, lists and agendas.

And use it to chat to family cross platform. But yes if it's only iphone people you chat too then bbm is not for you.

Sent from my BlackBerry - remember me!
    11-10-13 09:11 PM
    iMessage works fine for us, and we aren't having any issues with it. It's not that I'm necessarily looking for something else, it's just that folks here have been praising BBM quite a bit, and I don't really know what it can do. I thought it might have some whiz-bang features that iMessage lacks.

I knew this was the right place to ask because, as someone said above, you guys give honest, non-fanboy answers. I appreciate that a lot. One of the reasons I'm here is because I don't know much about BlackBerry and I'm curious about what it can do. I've learned a lot already, and it's been very interesting. Thank you all very much for your answers!
    Lol, if you want a BBM buddy to get warmed up, PM me your PIN.
    11-10-13 09:15 PM
    As most people said, I also don't think it would offer much of an advantage. It would offer an advantage if you had a larger family and wanted to create a group. Groups are great but if you don't have a lot of friends or family using BBM then it won't be very useful. You can meet new people on BBM in the BBM forums here if you want to check it out. But as far as your family goes, I personally don't think at this point BBM has any upper hand over iMessage
    11-10-13 09:15 PM

As Diegonei said "groups" is a cool feature that BBM has and iMessage does not. PIN sharing is all the rage nowadays. Lol. Also I find BBM Channels to be a lot of fun. However BBM channels is not yet on BBM for iOS. Same thing for BBM Video and BBM Voice which are BlackBerry only at this time, but work incredibly well.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    diegonei likes this.
    11-10-13 09:16 PM
    As Diegonei said "groups" is a cool feature that BBM has and iMessage does not. PIN sharing is all the rage nowadays. Lol. Also I find BBM Channels to be a lot of fun. However BBM channels is not yet on BBM for iOS.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    Keywork here is yet.

Frenchman (SuperFly_FR) and Iwere demo'ing TRUE BBM to his iOS/Android friends yesterday. We showed them Video Call and Screen Share.

They all installed BBM after that. And all those features will come to iOS/Android.
    11-10-13 09:19 PM
    GROUPS is the best part of BBM!

Special interest groups can be quite fun.

Sent from my BlackBerry - remember me!
    11-10-13 09:25 PM
    Well, if it's not broken, why try to fix it? Based on what you've posted, I can't think of one. Last thing BBM needs is someone else complaining about issues- especially when you're using something already that works.
    wafiwanders and Spencerdl like this.
    11-10-13 09:27 PM
    Once cross-platform BlackBerry Messenger gets Voice and Video Chat, then I think it'll be definitely worth it to at least give it a test run.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:42 PM
    Then why bother downloading it if you have no need for it ? Was it just because others did
    Probably because there's been a lot of hype about it and it was #1 on the App Store.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:43 PM
    The one person I bbm the most is my gf and she's an iphone user. I'm her only contact, so what I'm trying to say is, you give yourself a reason to use it. I love bbm and I will continue to use.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:47 PM
    If it's just your family, make a group, it will be indispensable. Or at the very least let you delete a couple apps. Groups with your family is awesome.

You get your texting, yeah, big whoop, I know, but you get a shared calendar, shared lists, and shared pictures. You can assign chores, and have see when they are checked off. A grocery list everyone can add to. Gift ideas from the kids. See something funny, just upload a pic to the group and everybody sees it. Everybody can add appointments to calendar. Etc.

Honestly, if you're just using it for text, probably no different than iMessage if you're all on iPhone. And I could see not wanting to join random groups, but make one for your family and give it a shot. I bet you'll really end up liking it.

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BBM#25)
    11-10-13 09:49 PM
    If it's just your family, make a group, it will be indispensable. Or at the very least let you delete a couple apps. Groups with your family is awesome.

You get your texting, yeah, big whoop, I know, but you get a shared calendar, shared lists, and shared pictures. You can assign chores, and have see when they are checked off. A grocery list everyone can add to. Gift ideas from the kids. See something funny, just upload a pic to the group and everybody sees it. Everybody can add appointments to calendar. Etc.

Honestly, if you're just using it for text, probably no different than iMessage if you're all on iPhone. And I could see not wanting to join random groups, but make one for your family and give it a shot. I bet you'll really end up liking it.

Wow. I didn't know it could do all that! I haven't had the pleasure of being able to use BlackBerry Messenger yet...

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    11-10-13 09:51 PM
    Groups! Is the advantage as of now.try creating groups or join any interesting groups...
    In future BBM Channels will be the feature to try out...also video chat and screen sharing are amazingly features which iMessage lack!!!
    Till then give BBM a try..you might like it

Posted via CB10 on lovely Z10
    11-10-13 09:52 PM

I second this. Having a family group, especially the shared calendar, is one of the best things about bbm.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 10:00 PM
    Wow. I didn't know it could do all that! I haven't had the pleasure of being able to use BlackBerry Messenger yet...

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it's wonderful. Used it for a couple years before I discovered groups. Even with just two people in a group it is so convenient! To me, strictly my opinion, groups are a much bigger plus than the video and voice calls. But they need to go cross platform asap of course.

11-10-13 10:01 PM
    Once cross-platform BlackBerry Messenger gets Voice and Video Chat, then I think it'll be definitely worth it to at least give it a test run.
    That sounds interesting. How are Voice and Video Chat different from FaceTime and Audio FaceTime?
    11-10-13 10:32 PM
    Having a family group, especially the shared calendar, is one of the best things about bbm.
    What shared calendar? (Sorry, I'm not a part of any groups and just have BBMx)
    11-10-13 10:51 PM
47 12